Lube for clutch splines....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of using Kroil Penphite very lightly brushed onto the splines.
It will probably be a very long time before the next clutch job, and would prefer smooth consistent action over the years.
Factory manual mentions these materials:

Spline: FX2200
Shaft: SUNLIGHT 2

I can get neither, dealer says they are special, for some incredible price.
Any thoughts on using the Penphite, or another graphite substance?

I would use a quality grease for this. You are in Vegas like me so you can get Amsoil locally. I would use their GHD for this.

Not sure that a light penetrating oil will last long or provide good wear protection.

Originally Posted By: Thingfish
GREAT! Thanks.............

I'm sure its a little late, but I would use something with a lot of solid EP additives, such as copper anti-seize

Honda specifies using only Super Hi Temp Urea Grease, P/N 08798-9002, for lubricating the slave cylinder ball-end, release fork dimple, release fork bolt, spline, and release bearing on Honda and Acura manual transmissions. Retail price is $14.14 for 1.75 ounces.

I researched this and various technical departments (Amsoil, CRC, among others) have not recommended alternative products. After recently purchasing and using the product, which is a synthetic urea grease, I was surprised to find there are no apparent solids. It's a very unusual grease.

Thingfish, this product is likely suitable for your application.

After reading up on that Honda grease, I'm not sure why it'd be anything too terribly special. In fact it looks like it would run into direct competition from the Permatex Purple Synthetic Ceramic brake lube, since it can and does go everywhere in the brake system. It also is safe for rubber/plastic/metal and any combo of the mating surfaces. That and the -50c to 2800c operating range, is probably a bit higher than a medium body urea grease.

Either way, you want a grease that won't sling off and fire off into the clutch. Grease + Clutch = slipping clutch.

I'd be looking at using something with a high amount of lubricating solids in it.

Last clutch job I did I used some old Neo CV25 I had, which has high amounts of MoS2, graphite and lead in a di-ester base oil. It was originally formulated for Champ Car and F1 tripod Joints.

Is this someplace a moly paste would be used? IIRC moly paste is about 60% moly and used in the splines of motorcycle shaft drives. (as well as other places in the motor)

The reason I ask is my friend had the splines totaly eaten up on his dump truck after useing a normal grease on them but refuses to use anything else.

advance auto sells a graphite lube that is free of any oil. it is made by vector, it would be by the tire repair stuff or with the gasket maker and sealers.

This is interesting, I know that lubing the clutch splines is critical to ensure proper release of the clutch otherwise drags on the sycnros and they wear out sooner,

I have talked to guys that use a 60% moly paste or compound for shaft driven motorcycles, maybee its something like that,

Some clutch kits come with a small packet of grease for the spines, LUK to name one, but others dont, I will make some calls and look into this for my own edification cause I always wondered,
But if I where to guess a moly or graphite compound ,

Ok,

I read up on the Luk clutches lube for splines, they say that Greases that contain no suspended particulates should be used.
They state that they have the correct grease with the proper melting point Part # 414 0014 10

As to what it is? as is the case with lots of grease stuff I doubt anyone knows except the folks that make it,

I've put in more than my share of dual disc clutches in Class 8 trucks and always used copper anti-seize.
The only time I've seen wear is when solid discs have been used instead of dampened.

Anti seize is not a lubricant. It is not it's intention.
Clutches can work dry, so let's not attribute it not breaking to the anti seize!
A grease containing moly is best for clutch parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back