New computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second time it ran, I went into the BIOS to check temperature. The CPU was running 22C. That was about 3 seconds before it did an auto-restart.
Out of curiosity, I installed a HD3870 in place of the 5870 video card. No Go.
The motherboard does have this LED code read out, like if there is a problem. It just reads 88 though which isnt in the manual, like it is not doing anything.

At this point disconnect everything just leave the essentials CPU, video card, and memory (but only enough to boot). Have to isolate the hardware causing the problem.

Sounds weird, but unplug and re-plug in the 24(?) pin power connector to the motherboard if that hasn't been done. You may not have a positive connection in there somewhere... This seems like an improperly seated processor or bad board to me, but I don't know. See what the LEDs read out without any video hardware in the box.

Ive actually taken it completely apart and put it back together, just in case I missed something. No go. Ill have to call gigabyte and find out if its a motherboard issue, or what, and if it needs replaced. I think Im past the newegg return, so Ill have to go through them.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you get any beeps on bootup ? the bios will tell you whats error its running into by a pattern of beeps.

is it able to sustain if you are in bios setup ? does it just stall when it tries to load the O.S ?

could be the power supply or a connection too.

since you mentioned 6GB I hope the cpu, motherboard(and bios) and the O.S. are all 64bit ?

Last edited:
If you've already checked the ram modules individually and had no other results, and based on what you've already said, I would say either the CPU or the motherboard. More likely the Motherboard but can't rule the cpu out.

No, it makes no noise. Ive gotten it into the BIOS twice. Itll run for maybe 30-45 seconds, then it will auto-reboot and fail. I do have a 64bit OS, but I have not even gotten to the point of installing it yet.

rating.jpg

Ridiculously good build.

I have an i7 860 on order currently for my next build.

Still running an old school Opteron 170. Love it though, runs rock solid, still plays my games too.

Yeah. Whats nice is I enabled all the power saving and autoclock features. The CPU is running about 800MHz and using less than 2w of energy for me to type this here. On the other side, if I load it up it auto-overclocks to 3.1GHz and pulls about 90w.

BIOS is ultra-finicky. Occasionally after messing with clocks and voltages, the voltages would not take, but the clocks would, causing various issues. Usually before it would even finish booting. Its weird because I would go back into the BIOS and the voltages would be set in the config.
I have also discovered if I have to clear the CMOS, to remove the highpoint RAID card before powering it back up. If I do not set the graphics card selection in the config to use PCIEX16_1 slot it will randomly boot without graphics. (what I think its doing is trying to use the highpoint as graphics?) Once it is set to use the first X16 slot I can reinstall the highpoint and it is fine.
I spent an hour trying to get it to boot after I cleared the CMOS and it wouldnt boot with graphics. Once I got it to boot with graphics after I moved the highpoint to a different slot, but then it wouldnt see the highpoint. I finally got it to work with the procedure in the above paragraph. Its wierd because my initial boot was with all of this installed and default settings (of course). It seems to be somewhat random that it decides the highpoint is the correct graphics card. I can tell now when it screws up like this too, the beep is different. Instead of a quick BEEP, it goes BEEeEeEEEEP, like its dying.
Right now its running perfect. I love this Cooler Master case, an HAF 932. Even though the power supply they sent me is junk. It actually runs *Cooler* with the sides on. To the tune of 4-5C.
Right now I have it clocked 180*20, 3.6GHz. Turbo boost bumps the multiplier to 21x under load for 3.78GHz. So far solid. Running 64-bit Prime95 in 8-thread torture test. 512-8192K FFTs. Want to let that run at least 24 hours before I call it stable though. Temps are at my personal limits, 70C under load, so I probably wont be pushing it any further if it is stable.

Ive had bad luck with ASUS boards. I have one of their excellent EeePCs, so maybe thats changed but I had no luck with getting their boards working right.

That's odd, I've never had an issue with their Intel-based boards. I have on the other hand, had issues with Gigabyte, MSI and ECS.

ABIT and Tyan have both been solid too.

ASUS puts a lot of effort into their overclocking stuff. My Maximus Formula was phenomenal in that regard, and so is my current board, a P7P55D-E with an i5.

BTW, your 5-series spanks my Crossfire'd 4890's in the Windows Performance Index
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
That's odd, I've never had an issue with their Intel-based boards. I have on the other hand, had issues with Gigabyte, MSI and ECS.

ASUS puts a lot of effort into their overclocking stuff. My Maximus Formula was phenomenal in that regard, and so is my current board, a P7P55D-E with an i5.

BTW, your 5-series spanks my Crossfire'd 4890's in the Windows Performance Index
grin2.gif

All my previous boards were AMD. Except for the Pentium 4 machine, but I got that chip free so I was just buying a board to go with it.. :p

The 5870 is overclocked to to 900/1300, so that helps a bit.

You wont believe the bad luck I had this morning. I woke up to the highpoint screaming because on of the drives in my array dropped out. I bought these Seagates back when they were new. Well, I didnt find out until after I bought them, but they are junk. I have 5 of these 7200.11 drives and this is number 3 to die. Well, the drive in my old P4 machine is the same model as the four in my array. I already copied everything I need from it, so I hot-swapped it in and went back to sleep while it rebuilt. Good to go for now.
I also just rearranged some fans, and added a second one to the cpu cooler in a push-pull config. Dropped about 5C off full load.

About 2 years ago I stuffed a PC Chips A13G boardwith an AMD Athlon 64 chip in my old case along with some other new pieces. it hit the ground running and no problems since. It and some otherthings came from Tiger Direct.

My first hardware adventure. I just upgraded to Debian Lenny. I have it on my EeePC too.

Originally Posted By: labman
About 2 years ago I stuffed a PC Chips A13G boardwith an AMD Athlon 64 chip in my old case along with some other new pieces. it hit the ground running and no problems since. It and some otherthings came from Tiger Direct.

My first hardware adventure. I just upgraded to Debian Lenny. I have it on my EeePC too.

No problems and PC-Chips do not normally exist in the same paragraph! LOL!

I'd say you are very luck!

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

grin2.gif

All my previous boards were AMD. Except for the Pentium 4 machine, but I got that chip free so I was just buying a board to go with it.. :p

The 5870 is overclocked to to 900/1300, so that helps a bit.

You wont believe the bad luck I had this morning. I woke up to the highpoint screaming because on of the drives in my array dropped out. I bought these Seagates back when they were new. Well, I didnt find out until after I bought them, but they are junk. I have 5 of these 7200.11 drives and this is number 3 to die. Well, the drive in my old P4 machine is the same model as the four in my array. I already copied everything I need from it, so I hot-swapped it in and went back to sleep while it rebuilt. Good to go for now.
I also just rearranged some fans, and added a second one to the cpu cooler in a push-pull config. Dropped about 5C off full load.

Ahhh, AMD. Were any of these dead ASUS boards VIA based by chance? Any of the "off-brand" chipsets were and still are very much a [censored] as to whether they are reliable or a nightmare. I find the manufacturer of the board has very little bearing on this. Been using and selling Intel-based boards commercially for 12 years now and every time I end up with a problematic VIA, SiS, ALI...etc based board on my bench it just reaffirms why I chose, and continue to choose to go that route for my own systems and the workstations and servers (as well as the odd gaming rig for friends/associates) I build for my clients.

And yes, those Seagate drives are known to be tragic, though don't feel too bad, I've had similar (albeit not quite as bad) luck with the (expensive) WD REII drives. Every one I RMA comes back as an REIII
wink.gif

I've got two Seagate 1TB drives in this box right now, but they are in RAID1, so I'll never obtain the same level of performance as you are getting.

How are you liking the 5-series card for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back