195/60-15 Primewells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Im looking to get 4 new tires for my Saturn in a few months. I really want to spend as little as possible because I dont really notice a difference in ride quality or noise with cheap vs expensive tires.

Here's what I'm looking for:

about a 40,000 tread rating
Speed rating of H

I drive on average 1000 miles a week for my job and need a dependable tire that won't give me troubles. My thoughts are that all tires will last, they just feel and sound different doing it. Is that reasoning on par?

The Primewells I priced at Firestone the other day came out to be $260 for all four and $290 with road hazard warranty. I don't really care for the road hazard as I can drop less than $10 and get a flat fixed just about anywhere. With the warranty you have to use their shop I think, which is inconvenient. I think the price he gave me was including tax, as I just looked on their website and they had the tire listed at $50, so $200 for the tires and $10 each to mount and balance and add tax and you're right at $260.

My two last cars were 175/70-13 (no name tires that held up fine)and I got all four M&B, tax included for $129 OTD. On my other car with 185/70-14 I got the primewells for $180 OTD.

So with the 195/60-15 being a bigger tire and the economy in the gutter, I dont think $260 is all that bad, but if you know of a comparable tire for less let me know. I've surfed the web and the cheapest I've found it probably about $45 per tire....x4=180....shipping $220....M&B $60 doesnt really look like a good deal.

Thanks for any advice. I just really need something that will hold air for 40k and handle the occasional WOT italian tune-up (hence the H speed rating needed).

For an inexpensive H-rated tire, I would consider the General Altimax HP or Kumho Solus KH16.

A set of General Altimax HP in 195/60-15 cost about $52/tire. For a set of four with shipping, it will cost about $260.

rated pretty good for a Chinese tire. Why don't you look on craigslist for a set. I see lots of used sets in that size for about $100 a set and sometimes near new from a car that blew up. For your 96 saturn you might find a whole set on rims for cheap.

Originally Posted By: chad8
rated pretty good for a Chinese tire. Why don't you look on craigslist for a set. I see lots of used sets in that size for about $100 a set and sometimes near new from a car that blew up. For your 96 saturn you might find a whole set on rims for cheap.

+1

It has Kumho 732s on there now and they seem fine.

Besides the light dry-rotting/cracking at the edge of the tread I've noticed a slight tear in the sidewall on both the fronts. They are over 6 years old

"The Primewells I priced at Firestone the other day came out to be $260 for all four and $290 with road hazard warranty. I don't really care for the road hazard as I can drop less than $10 and get a flat fixed just about anywhere. With the warranty you have to use their shop I think, which is inconvenient. I think the price he gave me was including tax, as I just looked on their website and they had the tire listed at $50, so $200 for the tires and $10 each to mount and balance and add tax and you're right at $260."

mjoekingz28,
Is this price of $260.00, an installed price with tax?
I was looking the other day for the same size tires(195-60-15)for a friend of my daughter, who's Cobalt needs two tires. I checked different web sites and found the cheapest tires at treadepot.com. Our local W*M will install anyone's tires for about $12 plus tax per/tire. Which includes mounting/1x balancing, valve stems and tire disposal. My daughter's friend only wants 2 of the cheapest tires she can get as she is turning in her leased Colbalt in the spring/summer and also need to get through this winter as well.

Well, that didn't work!...I tried to cut/paste from treadepot.com
Anyway! The tires at Treadepot are Doral for 37.00 each plus shipping(195-60-15) Sometime they offer free shipping. You'll have to get them installed.

The price included installation M&B, but am not too sure about tax.

The guy I saw at Firestone said my whole state would have the same price since it was the same region, so I can't say how much it would be up north.

But here you go,

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/pricing/selectStore.action

They're $50 each in Rochester NY too.

CharBaby, I might as well get the Primewells. I have good experience with them, but only used them from brand new for 5000 miles. The Firestone's down the street, so its local and hassle free I just don't want them cracking my windshield like they did on my pristine 87 RX7 when I got an alignment done. Anyway, the Dorals are $200 shipped and ad the $12X4 and its less than $20 difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Hey Im looking to get 4 new tires for my Saturn in a few months. I really want to spend as little as possible because I dont really notice a difference in ride quality or noise with cheap vs expensive tires.

Here's what I'm looking for:

about a 40,000 tread rating
Speed rating of H

I drive on average 1000 miles a week for my job and need a dependable tire that won't give me troubles. My thoughts are that all tires will last, they just feel and sound different doing it. Is that reasoning on par?

The Primewells I priced at Firestone the other day came out to be $260 for all four and $290 with road hazard warranty. I don't really care for the road hazard as I can drop less than $10 and get a flat fixed just about anywhere. With the warranty you have to use their shop I think, which is inconvenient. I think the price he gave me was including tax, as I just looked on their website and they had the tire listed at $50, so $200 for the tires and $10 each to mount and balance and add tax and you're right at $260.

My two last cars were 175/70-13 (no name tires that held up fine)and I got all four M&B, tax included for $129 OTD. On my other car with 185/70-14 I got the primewells for $180 OTD.

So with the 195/60-15 being a bigger tire and the economy in the gutter, I dont think $260 is all that bad, but if you know of a comparable tire for less let me know. I've surfed the web and the cheapest I've found it probably about $45 per tire....x4=180....shipping $220....M&B $60 doesnt really look like a good deal.

Thanks for any advice. I just really need something that will hold air for 40k and handle the occasional WOT italian tune-up (hence the H speed rating needed).

So you have a place you can get that car up over the T Speed rating and close to the H speed rating?

Yeah, every once in a while I like to open it up on the interstate and don't want to worry about my tires popping.

Anyway, not like it matters to you, but, its a long straight thats pretty flat where you can see a mile or so ahead. Trees in the median so you don't have to worry about the po-pos.

Why don't you sit down and write your petition to have all vehicles (except police and emergency, of course!) governed to 70mph. Because, really, there is no point of going faster than that. You're just wasting gas and being dangerous.

All that aside, its whats on the door jamb. It also says 195/60-15 in there. I may not need that size, but thats the factory recommended size so I'll use them. Also, it says 30/26 psi front/rear, sure I could be all anarchist and run 32 all around, but I like to stick with the factory for the most part.

Honestly, I don't think so, or at least your statement doesn't go far enough. There can be SIGNIFICANT differences in traction between one tire and another, that might be the difference between you keeping your life and losing it. You may not perceive a difference in noise level between a cheap vs. expensive tire, but there are most often SAFETY advantages with some tires vs. others.

Primewell tires have relatively little feedback on them. They haven't been tested by any major testing outlet, and are relatively unknown. I see TONS of them on cars around here, but honestly, I wouldn't touch 'em with a 10-foot pole. There are known good choices for a similar cash outlay.

I really like the suggestion of either Kumho Solus KH16 or General Altimax HP. They're known good quantities (having been tested out good by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack), and are both available at prices competitive with what you'll pay for the Primewells. Myself, I'd MUCH rather give $260 for a known quantity than $260 for something that may last, butchaneverknow.

The price included installation M&B, but am not too sure about tax.

The guy I saw at Firestone said my whole state would have the same price since it was the same region, so I can't say how much it would be up north.

But here you go,

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/pricing/selectStore.action

They're $50 each in Rochester NY too.

CharBaby, I might as well get the Primewells. I have good experience with them, but only used them from brand new for 5000 miles. The Firestone's down the street, so its local and hassle free I just don't want them cracking my windshield like they did on my pristine 87 RX7 when I got an alignment done. Anyway, the Dorals are $200 shipped and ad the $12X4 and its less than $20 difference.

Local and down the street is good! $20 bucks diff is insignif. Your right, go to the Firestone especially since you've had good succuss with the Primewells!
I like to stay local when I can just for the convience. If I buy online, the extra running around has to be worth it IMHO. Although, I have more time on my than most people.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock

Honestly, I don't think so, or at least your statement doesn't go far enough. There can be SIGNIFICANT differences in traction between one tire and another, that might be the difference between you keeping your life and losing it. You may not perceive a difference in noise level between a cheap vs. expensive tire, but there are most often SAFETY advantages with some tires vs. others.

Primewell tires have relatively little feedback on them. They haven't been tested by any major testing outlet, and are relatively unknown. I see TONS of them on cars around here, but honestly, I wouldn't touch 'em with a 10-foot pole. There are known good choices for a similar cash outlay.

I really like the suggestion of either Kumho Solus KH16 or General Altimax HP. They're known good quantities (having been tested out good by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack), and are both available at prices competitive with what you'll pay for the Primewells. Myself, I'd MUCH rather give $260 for a known quantity than $260 for something that may last, butchaneverknow.

Alright man, I found the Solus KH16 right down the street here and they'd be $91 each so $364 mounted, balance and tax. So $100 or so more than the Primewells but they're 60k mile instead of 40k, so 50% more tire for about 40% more money. And ya'll recommend them and there is a thread bad mouthing Primewells, so the Kumhos look win-win! thanks and they're H-rated like I want.

Anyways, what do you think about the KR21s. They're only $3.21 more per tire and go out to 85,000 miles? They're half a pound heavier and have 1/32 more tread, per their site. Would you still go with the KH16?

thanks

Alright man, I found the Solus KH16 right down the street here and they'd be $91 each so $364 mounted, balance and tax. So $100 or so more than the Primewells but they're 60k mile instead of 40k, so 50% more tire for about 40% more money. And ya'll recommend them and there is a thread bad mouthing Primewells, so the Kumhos look win-win! thanks and they're H-rated like I want.

Anyways, what do you think about the KR21s. They're only $3.21 more per tire and go out to 85,000 miles? They're half a pound heavier and have 1/32 more tread, per their site. Would you still go with the KH16?

thanks

If you just need something that will last, the KR21 is a better choice.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

thanks

+1

If you just need something that will last, the KR21 is a better choice.

Our circle of family and friends have been loving the Kumho Solus KR-21's. Everytime I went to buy them, they were on backorder for my sizes. Twice! So I bought different tires and the KR-21's were what I wanted. Our family/friends have been purchacing them as/per my recomendation and I can't even get them. Oh well! I still happy with the choices that I ended up with...Pirelli P4's for my Altima and GoodYear Assurance Comfort Treads for my wifes' Lexus. I'll get the KR-21's for my daughters' car.

We still don't know if the Kumho Solus KR-21 will last close to their 80,000 + mileage warranty as it's still too early to tell but, they seem to be holding up well thus far.

I work for Firestone and mount primewells all day long, they balance very well, if not better than the comparable firestone/bridgestone products and seem to wear pretty well. I would have them on my own cars, but we get a better discount on firestone/bridgestone tires then the Primewells or the Falkens that we also sell.

-Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back