Replacing Toyota Red (2003 Tundra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Tundra 3.4L V6

Its about time to replace the coolant, as my baby will be 7 in April. Only 41k miles, mostly highway cruising. Is it worth it to go with Toyota "long life" red again? My friend recently got some pink "super long life" from a dealer and it was a 50/50 premix for about $22 a gallon - ridiculous :O. The last toyota I did a coolant swap I used G-05, but was just at Autozone and didnt see it. I didnt look real hard either. Also, if there's any leftover, I need to get the factory Dexcool out of my 02 malibu 3.1L also after the truck is done.

Would be nice if my 3rd car (09 pontiac vibe) was on the same coolant too. Would that one have toyota pink? Need to go look I guess.

Last edited:
I've gone to Peak Global lifetime in my 2005 Toyota, 2007 Subaru and 2004 GMC. Also switched over 2005 Honda powered Vue and 2002 Silverado 4.8l V8.

I'm going to one coolant for everything I touch. I REFUSE to pay for 50/50% coolant and the rip off it is.

Take care, bill

I think Napa is your source if you want to get Asian type coolant cheaper than the dealer. It's still premix I think. Napa also has G-05. Really your best choice for the Toyota besides dealer super long life pre-mix is the Zerex Asian formula. Your other choice would be Peak Global.

To tell you the truth you could probably get away with putting Green or G-05 in the older Toyota, but it's not ideal. I would probably either go with the Toyota Red if it's not too espensive, Zerex Asian or Peak Global.

You definitely need to get the Dexcool out of that '02 Malibu if IMG has never been changed, so to buy some time. That should be priority one. Isn't it leaking by now? You could go with Peak Global or G-05. If you wanted to pay the big price and knew a place you culd trust you could probably take it some where and have the coolant exchanged with even Zerex Asian. It's probably not worth it though.

I'll look into the peak global lifetime and G-05. Ill also call a couple stealerships and see about toyota coolant prices. If it works well for 5+ years it may be worth a couple extra bucks, but not $22 a gallon.

The vibe owners manual says use 50/50 dexcool and "clean drinkable water" yet the overflow tank is neon pink (super long life). Then again the manual says use T-IV ATF but the dipstick says WS.

FWIW, I've put American Green in older Vibes. That's how I treated most older Japanese models, and is what a lot of shops use to do. Now, I'd probably use Zerex Asian pre-mix (or Dealer stuff if the price is right) since the block drain is easy on that car and I think it'd be close enough to 50/50, or maybe Peak Global concentrate if I was flushing it with a T-flush or with water.

You are correct, the Toyota coolants are ridiculously priced. The Super Long Life pink only comes in a premix and runs ~$22. The Long Life Red comes in full strength and runs ~$18. Amazing the half water coolant costs more.

I've run Prestone AM LL in an 01 Tacoma for ~5years with no issues. I change it with a total distilled flush series every 2-3 years.

If your not interested in going that route then you can try and find Peak GL full strength, good luck with that.

If I were going to bite the bullet and buy Toyota coolant, I'd go with the full strength red Long Life.

I would not pick traditional green or G-05 over say Peak LL which at least is silicate free like the Asian's seem to prefer. Wouldn't be too concerned about it being phosphate free. But that's me.

Now that the weather has warmed I may try to change it this weekend. I called 2 dealers and both want $24-25 for either 100% red or 50/50 pink. I think I will flush with distilled then get Peak Global Lifetime.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Now that the weather has warmed I may try to change it this weekend. I called 2 dealers and both want $24-25 for either 100% red or 50/50 pink. I think I will flush with distilled then get Peak Global Lifetime.

That is what I did.

Same price from the Stealership for both? Here they "discount" the pink by $3...

Must be some real good water!

Is it ok to run the garden hose through the radiator to flush, so long as I put distilled in when I fill it back up? I would think most of the hose mineral will be washed out when I start to add back actual coolant.

Is it ok to run the garden hose through the radiator to flush, so long as I put distilled in when I fill it back up? I would think most of the hose mineral will be washed out when I start to add back actual coolant.

Depends on how "poor" your tap is. Mine is softened water but I still used distilled bottled water to flush.

Around here, Bottles of water are well under a buck, I used 3 or so for the flush. Prob a waste but I did.

If you read ALL the coolant mfg web sites, they SAY to USE tap water.

Bill

I use tap water then flush a few times with distilled to get it out, I dont know how easy your block drains are to reach but it shouldnt be a problem to put your hose in it and then use distilled.

Then top off with 75/25 mix.

I use tap water from garden hose with a T-Flush in 1994 LS400 the last 14 years without any problem. For coolant, it had Prestone All Makes most of its life until the last flush a month ago, it now has Peak Professional Lifetime at about 50-50.

well I just drained the radiator and rinsed it with distilled and filled it back up with distilled. I got about 2 gallons out. The toyota red still looks new red koolaid after 7 years. I cant find a block drain. Supposedly the whole system is 10.5 qts according to owners manual so I have several more flushes to do.

Cant figure out how to add fluid back to the malibu so I havent drained that one yet. Not sure I know how to drain it either.

If you have a chilton book it will show you where the block drain is, if not its no biggie just top it off with full strength because you will have a bit of distilled in there.

I think the block drain on the 5VZ-FE is on the passenger side of the block about half way down, in the middle. Look for a small metal tube sticking out of a fitting, with a 10 mm bolt in it.

well I just drained the radiator and rinsed it with distilled and filled it back up with distilled. I got about 2 gallons out. The toyota red still looks new red koolaid after 7 years. I cant find a block drain. Supposedly the whole system is 10.5 qts according to owners manual so I have several more flushes to do.

Cant figure out how to add fluid back to the malibu so I havent drained that one yet. Not sure I know how to drain it either.

Most Toyota's have a faily easy to access block drain. The Malibu is a little tougher and has a white radiator drain valve at bottom front (towards the bumper side) of the radiator on the driver's side. The block drains are very hard to get to. You will probably need to install a T-flush in the heater inlet hose. The inlet hose should be toward the passenger side of the two heter hoses, and runs to behind the T-stat housing.

With the T-flush you probably won't even have to drain the radiator. It would be the easiest and fastest way to get all the old coolant out. After flushing with a hose you might be able to leave the T-flush cap off and then pour the whole capacity indistilled water in to displace the tap water, then pour half the capacity of anti-freeze in to displace half the distiled water. I never trid it that way, but if it doesn't work then you can just drain the radiator and then put in half the capacity in anti-freeze.

Well after calling 3 toyota dealers ($25 each for toyota red) and 5 auto parts stores, I finally found some Peak Global Lifetime at Napa for $11.59 a gallon. Walgreens had the 50/50 for $10. I was *this* close to just going to the dealer. The toyota red looked so good after 7 years it is hard to justify changing it. If I didnt also have to change the malibu over to Peak, Id probably just get the red.

Does the malibu drain bolt open with a 1/4" socket extension?

Last edited:
I think you could've put Toyota red in the Malibu as well. $25 is a little pricey though. I think you probably could put G-05 in the Toyota despite the silicates and the Malibu as well. Napa has G-05 as well and it's as inexpensive as the Global and G-05 is availablity is better since it can be found at Ford and chryslerdealers for usually a resonable price.

Anyway Peak Global at least on paper is the most compatible for these two applications and it should work fine in both. I think Peak Global uses a similar OAT as Asian and G-05.

The radiator drain first had "thumbwings" but later model ones, probably yours, is square drive and yes a 1/4' drive should loosen it if I remember right.

Did you get the flush-T kit for the Malibu as well? It would be hard to get all the Dexcool out without using it. You might not even have to drain the radiator if you instakll the flush-T.

No I didnt get a T flush. I will just fill with hose or distilled and drive around a few miles with the heat on and then drain again (once cooled of course).

I did this with the truck (on 5th flush with distilled now) and this one should come out barely pink or even clear. Then I will fill with Peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back