Linux Mint 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linux Mint 7 on a nearly 5-year old HP Pavillion laptop, AMD 3500+ CPU, AMD graphics, 1GB RAM. Added a cheap IDE-based SLC SSD drive to it, NICE! Regular hard disks make this thing crawl. SSD's breathe a LOT of life into this old work-horse.

Will try Mint 8 when I get time. So far, I'm really impressed at how everything just works with Mint 7. No extra software to install. Impressive!

Whats really impressive is that you are using it for your work PC. I tried to that once but it ended up in failure. No MS office, no VPN client, can't play games.

Linux is a work horse though... you can repair it not matter how badly its borked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Whats really impressive is that you are using it for your work PC. I tried to that once but it ended up in failure. No MS office, no VPN client, can't play games.

Linux is a work horse though... you can repair it not matter how badly its borked.

Openoffice is a fabulous MS Office replacement. Try the newest v3.1. I haven't used office even once since OO V3 was available.

On the odd occasion when I need to use the lame windows-only cisco VPN client my consulting customer supplies, I just open an instance of WindowsXP using virtualbox.

Games? Work box? Why would you need games on a work system?

My "work box" for dealing with customers when I'm at home is an Asus laptop running Ubuntu 9.10. No problems at all on my 3 year old CoreDuo 2ghz machine. And when I want to play games, I fire up my quad-core Opteron 285 machine with it's Radeon 4870x2 running Winders7. :)

Best,

Mint is my favorite distro. I've got it on my Laptop, desktop, and a new to me Dell GX260. Everything "just works" I'm longing for the new Mint 9 LTS to come out!!

I still have Windows XP via Virtualbox on my laptop for ITunes so I can sync my Ipod touch and back it up.

x2 for Open Office. I have not reinstalled MS Office on any of my machines for years!

Would you Minters summarize Mint's advantages over Ubuntu?

Don't summarize if you feel like being detailed.
34.gif

It's clean looking, the GUI is well laid out, the package mgt. system is good and it isn't afraid to ship out with restricted drivers enabled and proprietary codecs on board. But most of all, it looks very polished. It's basically just a better ubuntu.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
It's clean looking, the GUI is well laid out, the package mgt. system is good and it isn't afraid to ship out with restricted drivers enabled and proprietary codecs on board. But most of all, it looks very polished. It's basically just a better ubuntu.

You can't go wrong with either. They're both good distros. Standard Ubuntu takes an extra 5-10 minutes to grab/install the binary/proprietary drivers and other creature comforts that don't pass Mark Shuttleworth's smell test. *shrug* There are a bunch of web pages that give step by step instructions to fold all those goodies into Ubuntu once you've gotten it installed. On my relatively old coreduo 2ghz laptop, I went from bare metal to being completely installed and extras folded into the mix in 30-40 minutes.

Best,

Thanks for all the replies. I've been a light duty user of Ubuntu for a couple of years on dual boot computers. When I clean my desktop off to install Win7 in a month or two, I will try a dual boot Win7 & Mint this time.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Would you Minters summarize Mint's advantages over Ubuntu?

Don't summarize if you feel like being detailed.
34.gif

Mint *is* Ubuntu, with a modified Shiki-Colors graphical theme and pre-installed codecs that are not legal for a software distributor to install.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Mint *is* Ubuntu, with a modified Shiki-Colors graphical theme and pre-installed codecs that are not legal for a software distributor to install.
Is that similar to how Ubuntu is Debian with some extra polishing?

Does Ubuntu offer any significant advantage over Debian for a server.

Sorry, I am off topic now.
27.gif

Mint is way, way closer to Ubuntu than Ubuntu is to Debian. I will try to explain without getting too geeky:

Debian has three main branches of development: unstable, testing and stable. The stable release (currently 5.03, named "Lenny") is the currently released one. "Unstable" is named poorly, as it does NOT mean the software is unstable, it means that the system itself *changes* daily (in contrast, "stable" gets only critical security updates, which are rare). Brand new versions of software in the Debian system are dropped on day 1 into unstable. Once the teams decide on the version they want to develop for the system, it is moved to "testing", where the source code is examined, it is compiled from source, configured and re-configured, and the system tested extensively. Once the system has been deemed ready to rock (in Debian's history, that's about every two years or so), the whole shootin' match is moved from "testing" to "stable" and BAM, you have yourself a new release. You are free to run systems based on unstable, testing and stable; each with it's own advantages and disadvantages. "Unstable", for example, has brand spankin' new versions of everything, but might not be refined and dependable, and the system may change quite a bit from day to day! "Stable" is rock solid, but has very old versions of software. I use "stable" for friends and family, and run "testing" at home.

What Ubuntu does is take software from the "unstable" branch (meaning the software in there is up-to-date and fresh) and they begin developing, testing, configuring and re-testing the software independently from there, and largely independent of the Debian developers. Ubuntu has a clockwork release cycle of 6 months, whereas Debian releases "when it's ready". Ubuntu, then, can diverge quite a bit from Debian on the same piece of software, depending on how they choose to compile and configure it, and which version they use in the greater system.

Mint, on the other hand, just takes a stock Ubuntu system and adds stuff that Ubuntu cannot do legally, like distribute codecs and proprietary drivers. They also modify the look and feel, and I *think* they add some handy configuration tools.

As far as servers go, Debian versus Ubuntu is the same as in the desktop world: Debian is conservative and more adherent to free software usage (Debian doesn't use, technically, the "Firefox" browser, as Mozilla has some type of license on the *brand* that Debian doesn't like, so they re-compile it from source and call it "IceWeasel". They take the "freedom" dimension of "free software" pretty seriously), whereas Ubuntu is out there making corporate partnerships, getting hype and press and using proprietary, and usually newer software. Ubuntu is easier to administer and set up, but Debian is more stable and solid. Debian assumes you know your stuff to an extent, while Ubuntu is more user friendly. Personally, I think Ubuntu's place is as a new user's introduction to desktop Linux, while Debian's place is for advanced users, servers and for others who wish to build their own OS: Remember, it's just not Ubuntu that's based on Debian; lots of others make Debian-based distro's for one reason or another.

Thank you for the excellent explanation, uc50ic4more.

Your post is very helpful. It also reinforces my impression so far.

I am aware that there are many distros based on Debian. I've read about more than a few them, and from my perspective I can't see why there are so many of them, but that's just me. Ubuntu (and derivatives of Ubuntu, as this thread suggests with Mint) seems like a first choice apart from standard Debian itself. I've found with Debian that a number of programs I thought would be standard have to be added, like sudo.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Thank you for the excellent explanation, uc50ic4more.

Your post is very helpful. It also reinforces my impression so far.

I am aware that there are many distros based on Debian. I've read about more than a few them, and from my perspective I can't see why there are so many of them, but that's just me. Ubuntu (and derivatives of Ubuntu, as this thread suggests with Mint) seems like a first choice apart from standard Debian itself. I've found with Debian that a number of programs I thought would be standard have to be added, like sudo.

Many distro's base themselves on Debian because the Debian system is so complete, and so solid; not to mention popular. What may mean more then anything else, though, is the fact that their package management system - apt - is head and shoulders above all others in terms of dependency resolution. You can use their software repositories, which contain a bazillion pre-tested, configured packages, tweak the system to your needs and go from there with basically your own operating system, which you are free to distribute and brand to your liking! Such is the "freedom" in "free software".

"sudo" as a pre-installed default is regarded as a huge mistake in (a large part of) the Debian world. sudo exists to give administrative privileges to a user using only the user's password: Imagine a hacker gaining control of your system as you, the user. If sudo is present on your system, that hacker has got you by the you-know-whats. sudo is definitely there in the Debian repositories, but not installed by default. Rather, you are expected to "su" to the SuperUser, or "root" (which has an entirely different password), conduct your administrative affairs, then exit the root console and get back to your desktop usage.

Another example is pulseaudio. Pulse is darned convenient and user friendly, but isn't robust and solid; nor is it the stablest piece of stuff I've ever seen. Debian's standard desktop install still uses ALSA, while Ubuntu uses pulseaudio. On the Ubuntu forums you will read a lot of complaints about the sound system. Ubuntu keeps striving to make the non technical user's experience as easy and intuitive as possible, where Debian requires you to know your stuff. If you know Ubuntu's motto: "Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'Humanity to others', or 'I am what I am because of who we all are'." - Then you may appreciate this joke in among the Debianites: "Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning 'Can't install Debian'".

Haha, thanks for the humor and informative post.

I wasn't surprised that many distros are based on Debian, I was surprised how many distros are out there based on Debian. Sound the same? I mean, I recognize that Debian is excellent, no surprise people use it as a base. I just wonder why there are so many different derivatives of it. I found a few interesting, like Ubuntu and DSL, for different reasons.

I've wondered about sudo. It seems so popular, yet I've thought it was more convenient to 'su' as you wrote. You make a good point about using the user's password for root access - that is risky if such users are not careful with their password. If using 'su' with the root password every time is more secure, I'd rather do that. I've also seen installations where all sudo gets you is access to the 'su' command.

I wasn't surprised that many distros are based on Debian, I was surprised how many distros are out there based on Debian. Sound the same? I mean, I recognize that Debian is excellent, no surprise people use it as a base. I just wonder why there are so many different derivatives of it. I found a few interesting, like Ubuntu and DSL, for different reasons.

Off the top of my head, I have seen distro's, based on Debian, that served these purposes:

forensic analysis
firewall
desktop
specific languages that may not be well supported in Debian
specific desktop environments that aren't well supported
multimedia production
adherence to free software guidlines
education
etc.,etc.

As you can see you can choose to bundle, for example, only a bunch of photo manipulation software on a Debian base on a CD and make that specifically for photographers. There are distro's made by and for some regions in Spain and many other nations, catering to specific languages or dialects. Some want to be bleeding edge and use very, very new versions of software (which might be popular among the brave, the impatient and those who enjoy testing); while other are simply more conservative to have a more stable, better supported system.

EDIT: *Here* we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions#Debian-based

Last edited:
I've wondered about sudo. It seems so popular, yet I've thought it was more convenient to 'su' as you wrote. You make a good point about using the user's password for root access - that is risky if such users are not careful with their password. If using 'su' with the root password every time is more secure, I'd rather do that. I've also seen installations where all sudo gets you is access to the 'su' command.

The other main bugger of sudo is that you main retain administrative rights for some while if you're working a lot in a command line. Let's say you sudo something, a single command, and continue working... Your, as a user, still have administrative rights some while later. Practically, the use of "su" involves entering the command and password, doing your admin stuff, and then - by necessity, to continue your work as a normal user - you leave the session and return to another console or terminal. It's just a practical matter rather than a technical one, but it's good form to NOT have admin rights when you don't need 'em.

I just setup Linux Mint 8 ... easiest dual boot install (with Win7) I have seen ... and Chrome runs nicely on it also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back