BEST fluid Tremec 3650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doin my due diligence an need some help guys. 08 Mustang Bullitt with Tremec 3560. Love the car but cant abide the shifting. Starting with a fluid dump and upgrade refill. I would like suggestions on the very best fluid option for heavy use and improved shifting. 10K miles, cost\internet sourcing no problem, its a street car in TX heat, drive it like I stole it ALL the time... thats why I bought it. :) Suggestions?

Hold on, Tremecs call for Dexron 3 ATF.

Try this, works great in my Tremec. A 50/50 mix of Royal Purple Synchromax and M1 synthetic ATF. On real cold mornings she's a little stiff but that doesn't last long. The rest of the time its smooth as buttah.

Would a Ford require a non Motorcraft fluid?
That would seem very odd to me.
With carbon fiber synchronizers, you can't go to a heavy fluid, generally.
Trial and error with anybody's ATF may net you better shifting.
Some people have had success with light gear oils [synchromesh types] , esp with hard use.

RoyalPurple Synchromax and Torco MTF are some choices.

Any ATF mentioning the Mercon-V spec can be used.

A tad thicker are your Redline MTL, JoeGibbs MTF, and Amsoil MTF. Being in Tx, you don't have as much cold weather to worry about. The added visc should help protect the transmission better. But, most crybabies driving manuals demand 'limpwristed shiftability'. I'd go thicker and live with the extra needed 3 minute warm-up.

Regardless of what fluid you choose, driving style dictates frequent intervals. And, maybe UOAs could help you decide which fluid wears the least since there is no BEST. I'd keep the intervals under ~15k or ~yearly.

Other options are ATF+4, BMW MTF-LT2 or LT3, and the synchromesh replacements(all those 75w80 fluids). With the added 'traction' needed by some CVT's, makes me wonder how well the CVTF's would function and shift in a manual.

Wonder if there`s a Redline ATF that would meet your tranny`s spec? SWEET car by the way! I saw either a GT or a Shelby at the Nascar race the other weekend on display. I loved the shifter that car had in it! It was a round metal ball-type. Is that the one yours has? I`d like to swap my car`s oem leather shifter out for one like that. It feels much easier to grip.

Last edited:
Thanks... I love the car, just needs a little sorting out on the shifting. Yes that shift ball is part of the Bullitt package. I need to talk to Redline.

Spoke to a tech named "Rob" at Tremec. He said they recommend Pennzoil Synchromesh blend. Said they recommend fill til it comes out the fill hole, apprx 6.34 pints

Spoke to Redline they spec D4 ATF. Had great success with Redline products (and Amsoil) so, thats a thought. Never tried it, but I've heard good things about RP in gear applications.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Would a Ford require a non Motorcraft fluid?
That would seem very odd to me.
With carbon fiber synchronizers, you can't go to a heavy fluid, generally.
Trial and error with anybody's ATF may net you better shifting.
Some people have had success with light gear oils [synchromesh types] , esp with hard use.

Ford buys trannys from Tremec. Ditto GM. Tranny is made by Tremec, not Ford.

I go with the Redline MT90 in my Mustang GT and it shifts really smooth. On a zero degree day last week here in the midwest the first couple of shifts were a little stiff but double clutching it worked fine and after about 3 miles its warmed up and very smooth again.

MTL would probably be a better choice for the 3650 than MT-90, but D4 meets the specs called for.

The problem may not be so much with the fluid. I had the shifter replaced on my 95GT and my 03Cobra with a Steeda TriAx. The difference is night and day. Its not that expensive of a change. I had mine done at Dallas Mustang.

Redline MTL the best of the Best! IF that is too pricey try Penzoil Synchromesh if you like that then you will love Redline MTL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back