Tires and MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

DO NOT expect to get good fuel economy AND good wear. Those 2 are trade-offs!

Maybe my comprehension is off but from what I read on that article, I think you meant to say fuel economy and good traction are 2 trade offs.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Very small differences on a car. very small.

Even a light truck.

The difference can be significant. The difference between my Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 and Continental ContiProContact fitments is 3 MPG, minimum. That would make the differential more than 10%. I'd forgotten how big the impact of the sticky tires was until I put the Contis back on. I was gob-smacked...

Originally Posted By: semaj281

Maybe my comprehension is off but from what I read on that article, I think you meant to say fuel economy and good traction are 2 trade offs.

No, he's right, low rolling resistance seems to be inversely proportional to tread life.

Just examine the UTQG tread wear ratings on the current crop of low rolling resistance tires. Their tread life warranties are lower than their conventional counterparts as well. The Michelin Energy Saver A/S doesn't even come with a tread life warranty from Michelin. The UTQG is only 480 as I recall, with is performance all season territory.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
Originally Posted By: semaj281

No, he's right, low rolling resistance seems to be inversely proportional to tread life.

Just examine the UTQG tread wear ratings on the current crop of low rolling resistance tires. Their tread life warranties are lower than their conventional counterparts as well. The Michelin Energy Saver A/S doesn't even come with a tread life warranty from Michelin. The UTQG is only 480 as I recall, with is performance all season territory.

Actually it's a 3 way - Rolling Resistance (Fuel Economy) / Traction / Tread wear.

And to comment on silica. Increasing amounts of silica improve RR at the sacrifice of traction and / or treadwear - just like carbon black does - EXCEPT that you can somewhat compensate so the falloff isn't as great.

That means that tires with super treadwear properties - and tires with super traction properties - will have no silica in the tread compound, and tires with super rolling resistance properties will have lots of silica. If you are targeting for something in between, you'll get a blend.

And to comment on silica. Increasing amounts of silica improve RR at the sacrifice of traction and / or treadwear - just like carbon black does - EXCEPT that you can somewhat compensate so the falloff isn't as great.

That means that tires with super treadwear properties - and tires with super traction properties - will have no silica in the tread compound, and tires with super rolling resistance properties will have lots of silica. If you are targeting for something in between, you'll get a blend.

The addition is silica increase the wet traction and lower the rolling resistance and somewhat reduce the tyre operating temperature.
The new generation silica is comparable to carbon black on the wear resistance for car load (not for heavy truck), but the cost is significantly more expensive than carbon black.
So it is just economically not feasible to sell cheap tires with lot of silica in it.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog

The addition is silica increase the wet traction and lower the rolling resistance and somewhat reduce the tyre operating temperature.
The new generation silica is comparable to carbon black on the wear resistance for car load (not for heavy truck), but the cost is significantly more expensive than carbon black.
So it is just economically not feasible to sell cheap tires with lot of silica in it.

Good comments. Some companies somehow manage to sell cheap tires with silica. Somitomo comes to mind. They have no advertising budget though.

I switched over my Mustang GT stock tires to the stock GT500 takeoff set and it made a pretty big difference. 235 vs 285 18s on the rear and 235 vs 255 18s on the front. Handled lots better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back