Mobil 1 0W 40 vs. Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmk

Sorry about this basic question.

Been running the M1 0W40 in an 06' Saab 9-3SS V6 turbo. Saab requires the GM LL 025A spec for their oil. I'm well out of warranty so thought I'd maybe give the RP a shot.
BTW, I've done a couple UOA's on the M1 and it's been very good after 12,000 mi.

So being that RP is now somewhat available (Oreilly stores) I thought I might give it a shot.

Any pros or cons here? Can I run the RP as far as the M1?

Thanks!

I would stick with the M1. RP wil run you big $$ for ??? gains. If I was going to make a step - I go for Redline or Fuchs Silkolene. M1 10w-40 is EoM's state of the art oil, RP street oil is an oil of unknown base stocks with some % of diesel additive (mg organometallic) which are not specific to or good for your gasoline CC.

Last edited:
I almost tried RP 0W40....It went down like this I told Pablo to put up or shut up about an oil and said I would gladly run his AMsoil for the OCI if he sent me 4 quarts for 4 Free.....I did not expect him to send me free oil I just wanted to show how much hot hair he was spewing at the time.

So a distrubutor that I will not name of Royal Purple sent me Private MEssage offering to send me enough RP 0W40 for one oil change and top up for a 10K run to compare to my 10K RUn of M1 0W40. He did not mention to me that I had to keep it a secret if he had I would not of mentioned it all. Instead though I was so impressed I posted about the deal never mentioning his name mind you. Well then he emailed me and with drew the deal! I guess he did nto want it to be public until the results where in. Like I said he never mentioned that or I would have kept it quite. Historicly almost all projects and comparisons of simalar products on Bobistheoilguy have always been public from day one all the various home brew experiments and comparisons was what made the sight so darn interesting origanaly.

SO then Helen accused me of trying to shake down suppliers for free oil which was not even close to the truth........The idea of "put up or shut up" or "put your money where your mouth is" has been part of the AMerican lexicon for a while and has typical been used to shut someone up not as a means of aquireing something for free!

Personely I was disgusted with the entire affair and that is why I left here for a year or two.......In addition to that all kinds of people where geting banned left and right.........I could have seen some mis-understanding had I not already been on the site for 5 years.

I value truth and intergrity over almost anything else. Results do not lie and if someone is going to push an agenda and make all manner of fantastic claims that are not true I am going to call them on it. I do not care what oil a person sells or if they are a sponsor I think truth and integrity are not negotiable. You can push your products with out resorting to lies,half truths and very poor unrealistic comparisons etc.....

One thing ROyal Purple has against it is the number of AMsoil Sponsors on this site....It is hard to serve two masters let alone a bunch of them. When push comes to shove many that sell products and are members of this sight will push integrity and truth aside in place of $$$$'s. We all have some bias but some of us are better then other's at resiting the effects of our bias and some can even speak ill or less then positive about their own products compared to a competitors in one area or another but few can do this.

It is my belief that any customer that is reling on me to provide them with answere as what is best for their application deserves nothing less then the same level of integrity and truth that I would use with my Dad or Mother. If I sell a product that is not as good as a competitors product I am not going to push it and I will tell my competitors as much.I have never failed to win the hearts of people in any sales job I have had inside,outside,retail, wholesale etc........Because of this on every job I have had I always had the ability to build a large clientel that was fiercely loyal.

SO their is a lot of internal politics that has happened over the years. You might notice that because I do not sell anything I often recommend AMsoil,Schaffers,Mobil,Redline products based on the application and what I know to work. You will never see me recomend something I do not believe in completly. The application and how it is used is the most import thing since what will work good in a Porsche 911 Turbo driving in New York City is not going to be the best combo for a Porsche driving on the German AUtobahn etc......Like wise what works great in a CHevy Small Block might not be a good fit for a Toyota Prius etc.......

SO to recap:

Internal Politics
Pricing
Performance
Marketing

have all worked against Royal Purple. Even when Terry got all excited after he spoke with the owner of RP few joined in the excitment. It would have to be the most under welhming product Terry ever promoted on this site. THe initial shearing out of grade was a huge issue on this site when the oil first turned up!

I always make it a point to change things when they are going well.....
crazy2.gif

I would add that if you really wanted to try something different that would work great then try Amsoil!Not any AMsoil product though........I would try their Series 3000 HD 5W30. It is the only AMsoil product I routinely recommend and I would use it myself if the price point of M1 and Redline should ever get as high as AMsoils minus their Preferred Customer fee and shipping etc.....It looks plain on paper but it is a great product that always produces great results!

Wow lots of good comments.

There certainly is not anything wrong at all with the M1 and actually it is an excellent oil. I've ran it almost exclusively (except for a couple of runs with GC, the only other GM LL 025 certified oil) for almost 190,000 mi. between my 06' and 03' Saabs.

It's just that there is another 0W40 now available and I wouldn't mind supporting a small company that is relatively legit (unlike a company such as Amsoil that makes makes bogus and misleading statements) I'm somewhat impressed that RP doesn't play the same games as Amway oil. They are also available via traditional marketing channels--no MLM garbage again like Amway oil.

I don't come on here all that often so I'm not familiar with what JohnBrowning was saying about Terrys testing etc.

So, I should probably not "rock the boat" and keep it simple by staying with M1.
And nobody answered about the longevity of the RP. I called their tech support and asked how far I could go and they said probably no further than 12,000 miles. The M1 can go up towards 18,000 miles no problem.

Quote:
It went down like this I told Pablo to put up or shut up about an oil

crackmeup2.gif

M1 0w40 is one of the flagship oils in the M1 lineup. If I were going to step up it would be to redline 0w40. I do not see going to RP as an upgrade IMHO. M1 5w40 TDT or Rotella T6 5w40 are also great oils.

Well went to O'Reilly yesterday planning on getting some M1. Surprisingly they do not carry but have RP 0W40! So got 7 quarts for $8.99. Grades of M1 were $6.99.

So I'll be giving it a shot. I doubt I can go as far as M1 but we'll see. I'll do UOA's. Got close to 10,000 mi. on my M1 and not sure if I'll change it soon or drive it for another 3-4,000 mi. as Blackstone suggested I could.

Originally Posted By: dmk
Well went to O'Reilly yesterday planning on getting some M1. Surprisingly they do not carry but have RP 0W40! So got 7 quarts for $8.99. Grades of M1 were $6.99.

So I'll be giving it a shot. I doubt I can go as far as M1 but we'll see. I'll do UOA's. Got close to 10,000 mi. on my M1 and not sure if I'll change it soon or drive it for another 3-4,000 mi. as Blackstone suggested I could.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back