Meets Ford WSS-M2C930-A Means What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me what the "meets Ford WSS-M2C930-A" you see on various oil really means? Is it something that really matters to the average Joe like me? Do oil mfgs. test their oil against various engine mfgs. specs?

Enlighten me please....

Originally Posted By: BumpDraft2004
Can someone tell me what the "meets Ford WSS-M2C930-A" you see on various oil really means? Is it something that really matters to the average Joe like me?

Only if:

A. Your car's owner's manual lists that spec as a requirement or recommendation.

or

B. You want the same kind of protection that an oil with that spec has. I'm not sure what exactly that is for this specific spec, but I'm sure someone better informed can weigh in.

I can give you a similar example: I know the Honda HTO-06 certification means that an oil is very resistant to high-temperature breakdown and deposit formation. So, if I had a hot-running turbocharged engine, I would strongly consider an oil that is certified for HTO-06, even if the car didn't explicitly require it. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted By: BumpDraft2004
Do oil mfgs. test their oil against various engine mfgs. specs?

Not all of them. Some can't afford it, and some just don't want to.

I think they run the Seq IIIG a bit further for that spec. I'm not 100% positive though. It's somewhere on BITOG.

PERFORMANCE
Shall meet all the requirements of the “ILSAC GF-4 Minimum Performance Standard for Passenger Car Engine Oils" plus the following:

3.2.1 ASTM Sequence VG Test
Follower Pin Wear, average 30 mm, max.
(Cyl #8 intake and exhaust)

Ring Gap Increase, average 225 mm, max
(Cyl #1 and #8)

PHYSICAL/CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
3.3.1 Copper Corrosion 1b max
(ASTM D 130 or ISO 2160, 3 h at 100 °C) (Dark Orange)

3.3.2 High Temperature Deposits, mg 30 max
(TEOST MHT-4)

3.3.3 Physical Appearance and Odor
Shall be clear and bright with no objectionable odor.

3.3.4 Contaminants
Shall be free of carcinogens, toxins, metals not removed in refining or from previous
use.
http://www.ilma.org/resources/ford_service_fill_specs.pdf

I believe that was the 20wt spec when 20wt oils first hit market. The "fear", I suppose, was that is 5w-30 oils more or less all sheared down to 5w-20 oils over the course of a 3000 mile OCI, might 5w-20 oils shear down to 5w-10 oils or something similar, and be an issue for engine life.

The 20wt specs from ford and Honda were pretty stringent, and were a reason why 20wt oils have been a success.

This may be wrong, and/or there is more to it than that, but this is how Ive heard it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back