South Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
The recent thread begs the question....are there actually adults who still watch cartoons? Is so, why?

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
The recent thread begs the question....are there actually adults who still watch cartoons? Is so, why?

South Park is for adults.

I had a job in a plastic factory that consisted of watching a conveyor to be sure nothing was going wrong. The company allowed employees on that job to read as long as they kept track of things.

The foreman came in one shift and I was reading "Animal Farm". He said I shouldn't be reading children's books, Was that you?

Originally Posted By: XS650
The foreman came in one shift and I was reading "Animal Farm". He said I shouldn't be reading children's books, Was that you?

No...if it had been me you would definitely remember. BTW, he was right. Not that you shouldn't be reading it, but "Animal Farm" is required reading for most 7th or 8th graders, so it qualifies as a child's book.

The only "South Park" I have seen is the Harley thing posted here. If that was aimed at adults, the target was missed by quite a large margin, unless there are many more immature adults around than I'm aware of.

Yes. I watch The Simpsons, South Park, and especially Family Guy. If you think those programs are for children, then let your kids watch them repeatedly. They'll likely be asking you a lot of questions!

I watch them because they are outright satirical masterpieces of comedy, and they don't cater to tightwads with no sense of humor or irony.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Yes. I watch The Simpsons, South Park, and especially Family Guy. If you think those programs are for children, then let your kids watch them repeatedly. They'll likely be asking you a lot of questions!

I watch them because they are outright satirical masterpieces of comedy, and they don't cater to tightwads with no sense of humor or irony.

a very VERY big x2 on all of that

Oh, I see you have a Harley. It all makes sense now.

"coughrubrubbrubrubrubrubrubkapow"
grin2.gif

Seriously, you can't take those shows personally - they are equal opportunity antagonizers. They simultaneously had both the Harley community and the gay community up in arms over that episode.

Last edited:
They simultaneously had both the Harley community and the gay community up in arms over that episode.

Yes, but so funny - and almost true at the same time.
lol.gif

I used to watch Beavis & Butthead a lot, because it's so crude & true, it's bust a nut funny!

I agree, I watch and love all 3 of those shows.

Beavis & Butthead were the best just making fun of videos. MST3K-like and usually made me laugh out loud nearly every time. My buds & I did the same stuff...sit around and make utter minced meat of the videos and have a grand time doing it.

Originally Posted By: XS650

No...if it had been me you would definitely remember.

Highly doubtful. That was 45 years ago. Unless you had terminal BO or some repulsive habit.

Quote:

BTW, he was right. Not that you shouldn't be reading it, but "Animal Farm" is required reading for most 7th or 8th graders, so it qualifies as a child's book.

The only "South Park" I have seen is the Harley thing posted here. If that was aimed at adults, the target was missed by quite a large margin, unless there are many more immature adults around than I'm aware of.

Sounds like both are over your head.

When South Park first came out, one of us at work taped it, and a most of us gathered in the lunch room the next day to watch it. It was cutting edge comedy back then.

"Animal Farm" is required reading for most 7th or 8th graders, so it qualifies as a child's book.

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Kestas
When South Park first came out, one of us at work taped it, and a most of us gathered in the lunch room the next day to watch it. It was cutting edge comedy back then.

It's even better now because they go after current political and social doings! The Hybrid car episode made me fall out of my chair I was laughing so hard.

In order to appreciate animated comedy programs such as South Park and Family Guy, one first must have a basic sense of awareness, (i.e. head not tucked away someplace warm, dark and smelly) and have the ability to understand the nuances of satire and irony.

It would appear that participants who question why we watch these programs may be devoid of the ability to understand them. Or, even worse, devoid of a sense of humour. Either way, it's a position in which I'm thankful not to be in.

Family Guy is probably my favourite. Some of the new Cleveland show episodes have been funny but not quite up to par with Family Guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back