"service vehicle soon" light won't go away

Status
Not open for further replies.
After service facility changed oil and coolant on my 03 Impala the "service vehicle soon" light came on. I returned the car and they could not find a problem and cleared the computer. Now the light comes on after driving about an hour at high speed. What kinds of problems is this light supposed to indicate? I am not referring to the check engine light.

I checked the owners manual and it says that the light will come on if you have engine problems. It further states that the problems may not be obvious and may not affect performance or durability. Don't know what to make of that. There is no obvious problem.

Probably something like gas cap or something lame like that.

Lots of little things can trigger check engine lights.

You need a scanner... They're inexpensive, and give you a good idea of what you're dealing with, even if you're a virgin working on cars.

Did you reset your OLM? I think service vehicle soon is a body control module code and not everyone can pull those codes.

Last edited:
"Service Vehicle Soon" does not equal "Service Engine Soon". An SES light is an OBD2 emissions concern; a SVS light (or message) is typically a non-OBD2 powertrain DTC or a body DTC. If it is a body DTC, your local AutoZone isn't going to have the capability to read the DTC. You will likely need a Tech 2.

Shot in the dark here... make sure all your exterior lamps and DRLs are functioning. Are you having any problems with the fuel gauge? Tire pressure low or mismatched tire sizes? Anything going on inside the car: courtesy lamps not illuminating, power door locks not functioning properly, etc.?

edit: Just saw that you had your coolent serviced. Make sure the coolent level is properly topped off in the resevior. If it has a pressurized coolant tank, give it a couple sharp taps. Sometimes the level sensor gets stuck at the bottom when the coolant is drained.

Last edited:
sorry I meant sevice vehicle soon is BCM not service engine soon. I mistyped that. I agree with you.

It's a non-emissions solenoid controlled by the PCM or BCM. I bet they yanked a wire during the service.
frown.gif

Probably an accessory like cruise control lost contact with the main computer. There will be a code and I bet they're ducking the issue. At least squeeze the code out of them.

Take the car to your dealer if your "service facilty" is not a dealer. Let them see if there are any codes and do the reset. BTW, don't go back to that "service facility" because they don't know Mr. J. Schitt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1
Take the car to your dealer if your "service facilty" is not a dealer. Let them see if there are any codes and do the reset. BTW, don't go back to that "service facility" because they don't know Mr. J. Schitt.

My dealer [Pompano Ford] charges 100 bucks to check codes...The Autozone nearby does it for free...It all depends who is working that day when you come show up.

Thats why their called Stealerships.

my light came on and it was because some [censored] at the GM dealer didn't know how to put a hose on correctly after some basic work.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

My dealer [Pompano Ford] charges 100 bucks to check codes...The Autozone nearby does it for free...It all depends who is working that day when you come show up.

Pulling codes and performing a diagnostic based on the codes are two entirely different things.

Performing a diagnostic what takes time and skill, which is why the dealer is charging you $100.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
"Service Vehicle Soon" does not equal "Service Engine Soon". An SES light is an OBD2 emissions concern; a SVS light (or message) is typically a non-OBD2 powertrain DTC or a body DTC. If it is a body DTC, your local AutoZone isn't going to have the capability to read the DTC. You will likely need a Tech 2.

Shot in the dark here... make sure all your exterior lamps and DRLs are functioning. Are you having any problems with the fuel gauge? Tire pressure low or mismatched tire sizes? Anything going on inside the car: courtesy lamps not illuminating, power door locks not functioning properly, etc.?

edit: Just saw that you had your coolent serviced. Make sure the coolent level is properly topped off in the resevior. If it has a pressurized coolant tank, give it a couple sharp taps. Sometimes the level sensor gets stuck at the bottom when the coolant is drained.

Where is the level sensor for the coolant?? The recovery tank is not pressurized btw and all fluid levels, lights and accessories appear to be working.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

Pulling codes and performing a diagnostic based on the codes are two entirely different things.

Performing a diagnostic what takes time and skill, which is why the dealer is charging you $100.

I missunderstood....Sorry

I also had a similar light on our 2001 Impala and the only thing I can think of that I did was fill up the washer resivor. I was using it a lot and it was very low, (still filled it before it started to run dry though), probably the lowest I ever had it get.

The light has not come on again since I filled the washer resivor. After reading this thread I stoped by Auto-Zone and they read the vehicle for fult codes for free. No code showed up.

Does anyone know if the washer resivor has a low level sensor for a 2001 Impala, and would that generate a service vehicle soon light if it has one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back