B5 suspension in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats interesting, I have a Isuzu NPR diesel truck, and have never had an issue with the fuel, or having too much power!

I dont add anything to the fuel, other than a gal. of used motor oil with each tank of fuel.

I have been using anywhere from B2-B20 in my semi operating primarily in the upper midwest year round for several years now with no issues. Most that do have problems don't do regular fuel filter changes or monitor where they are buying the fuel to get good quality. My fuel system stays clean with no gell up issues and power must be ok.... I average 7+ MPG from my semi with normal gross weights of around 70,000 lb.

Every winter, there seems to be a problem crop up with those that have used a bio blend. Most of these problems occur with newbies that don't know that bio will have a solvent effect on the fuel system and will cause filter clogging sooner. Since I use the stuff frequently, I never experience the filter clogging and no problems... even down to -30F (coldest I have operated in with bio).

I fyi
It's a mandated "minimum" of 10% up to 20% that is allowed, so you could be getting any percentage between 10% & 20%

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Reviving a dead thread, but update in order. MN has now mandated 10% biodiesel blends. How a few years changes things.

Last edited:
I have had ton of issue with biodiesel.even has low as 2% .best compromise?i fuel in canada the 2% variant or the 2% in dupont pa (petro)once a week then i fuel only in 0% bio diesel.(exemple :petro in ga exit 3 on i95.

Illinois and Iowa have had bio of at least 10% at the pumps for quite a few years now. Seems like just about every major truckstop across the entire midwest has bio at some level now, up to 15% in some places. To that end, some bio has been going into my last semi for the last 3 years I owned it, and my present one since I bought it 2 years ago. So for at least 5 years straight it has been a part of the fuel that has gone into my truck, I haven't ever had any problems with it except a few more filter changes in the coldest weather. And with a Davco filter unit, a filter change is a pretty simple proposition.

Would be curious what "ton of issues" you have had. What engine you running it in. I have used it in a Cummins ISX and the factory rebuilt Series 60 in my FL glider kit truck.

Bought my truck during the suspension period, when bio came back I did have some unusually short fuel filter change periods where I was experiencing a lot of issues with plugging. After about 6 months of that the problem cleared up and the only filter related issues I've had have all happened when it's been -30F and colder. The first one was water in my fuel that iced up the filter and the second one was just plain old gelling up, an overnight in the heated garage and new filter fixed that.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
Bought my truck during the suspension period, when bio came back I did have some unusually short fuel filter change periods where I was experiencing a lot of issues with plugging. After about 6 months of that the problem cleared up and the only filter related issues I've had have all happened when it's been -30F and colder. The first one was water in my fuel that iced up the filter and the second one was just plain old gelling up, an overnight in the heated garage and new filter fixed that.

Always buy fuel from a high volume place that carries quality fuel.
I always try to buy from a truck stop and favor mobil or sinclair, never gelled, even at -23F, no addy.

And that is the rub. Some stations do not properly "winterize" their fuel for the weather that it is going to be used in. Even some truck stop chains are pretty terrible about checking upcoming weather and ordering the proper treated fuel for what it coming. We had several warm days in Iowa, the we got an Alberta Clipper and temps dropped almost to single digits with some pretty strong winds. A few of the pumps at the Walcott, IA truckstops were clogging up in the filters at the pump. I fueled and had to replace a fuel filter 30 miles down the road. Stuff happens.

Bio tends to dissolve things that Diesel leaves behind - so the introduction of Bio to a "well used" fuel system may plug a few fuel filters until it gets all cleared out. Also can soften some o-rings and rubber fuel lines. My second summer of 100% bio was a brief bit if a headache (replaced fuel return lines and a few premature filter changes). I could see B5 to B20 might prolong the cleanup phase to appear as an ongoing "problem with Bio".

I've got an 08 Mercedes ML320 diesel. MB is adamant about not using anything over 5% Bio. They even stopped selling new diesels in ILL. when they mandated 10% or higher bio. They relented a couple of years later and recommended fuel filter and oil changes more often and they would eat any warranty costs.
So what am I supposed to do when I drive thru those states using the B-10-20?? More and more seem to be going to it....to help the corn farmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back