Extended Service Intervals - Audi A4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently passed 15K miles, after 10K miles since the last oil change, which is the standard service interval for VAG. Have a few cases of RP lying around, but since it is not VW 502 spec, looking to run either PP or Valvoline Synpower.

Is it really okay to run such a long interval on the 2.0T motor? Driving is split between long highway trips and runs around town.

I have a A6 3.2. I debated this myself a bit and decided to do 5k oil changes with the proper oil. I buy it at walmart about 6.50 a quart. When you factor what the other syn oils cost it is only a couple of dollars a quart more. For me that an extra 14.00(mine uses 7 quarts) The oil you have lying around can be used in other oils you might own. I dont think PP is VW 502.00, not sure about valv syn.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about using up the last of your RP. If it was my car (I've owned a number of Audis), I'd use Rotella 5W-40 full synthetic and stick with whatever the manual states as oil change intervals until it's out of warranty. Once it is out of warranty, I'd likely revert to my usual 7500 mile OCI.

Also, in case you didn't know, a simple chip swap can goose the 2.0T up to 240-250hp. zoom zoom

Best,

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
I wouldn't worry about using up the last of your RP. If it was my car (I've owned a number of Audis), I'd use Rotella 5W-40 full synthetic and stick with whatever the manual states as oil change intervals until it's out of warranty. Once it is out of warranty, I'd likely revert to my usual 7500 mile OCI.

Also, in case you didn't know, a simple chip swap can goose the 2.0T up to 240-250hp. zoom zoom

Best,

I have asked the question a couple of times without a solid answer.....but will Rotella T6 damage the emissions in a Audi or VW with the 2.0T?

Also, I might be interested in the chip swap. Who can install one and what do they cost?

Originally Posted By: BigJohn

Best,

I have asked the question a couple of times without a solid answer.....but will Rotella T6 damage the emissions in a Audi or VW with the 2.0T?

Also, I might be interested in the chip swap. Who can install one and what do they cost?

There is no "chip swap" on a 2.0T, the ECU is direct-programmed. You can run a stage 1 program without further modifications. You'll also typically find that your fuel economy improves, along with the power boost. Here are a few providers to take a look at...

http://www.goapr.com/

http://www.giacusa.com/

http://revotechnik.com/

http://www.unitronic.ca/

What kind of power you'll see depends on which 2.0T variant you have. Do you have an FSI or TSI engine?

Thanks for the replies. I joined AudiZine when I bought the car, and know all about the different tunes by now...tempting...but a 6yr/100K warranty is keeping me in check.
31.gif

I personally have the FSI motor. It likes to snack on a quart every 2K miles or so...although less in the winter time.

So...anyone try out Valvoline Synpower in a turbo motor? I'm curious how resistant it will be to the 2.0T's notorious oil punishing nature.

Originally Posted By: HLG600
Thanks for the replies. I joined AudiZine when I bought the car, and know all about the different tunes by now...tempting...but a 6yr/100K warranty is keeping me in check.
31.gif

I personally have the FSI motor. It likes to snack on a quart every 2K miles or so...although less in the winter time.

So...anyone try out Valvoline Synpower in a turbo motor? I'm curious how resistant it will be to the 2.0T's notorious oil punishing nature.

My GTI is under warranty, too. You can still run a tune, it isn't a warranty killer. If it tells you anything, Volkswagen AG (the parent company of Audi) sells cars in other markets with APR programming. In fact, my car was tuned by an Audi dealer...

Also, how would I go about getting a UOA, and how much does it usually cost?

Thanks!

There are many companies that you can use. Dyson Analysis & Blackstone are just two. Terry Dyson will give you a professional (licensed tribologist) interpretation making recommendations for best possible tune. Blackstone is pretty much lab data only as would most other labs.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
with a 2.0T id be very concerned going that long without a UOA.

What on earth for? The 2.0T isn't prone to sludging at all. Like ANY turbocharged engine it is prudent to use synthetic oil and mind your service intervals, but that goes along with the fun of forced induction. Those turbos can get cherry red hot and you've got a stream of oil flowing through there to keep the bearings from going kaboom. I've got a picture somewhere of my old 1.8T A4 with the hood up after a "spirited" run in the dark and you can clearly see the turbocharger glowing red as it's sitting there idling and cooling down. :)

Personally, I wouldn't think twice about going 7500 miles on Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in that engine.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
with a 2.0T id be very concerned going that long without a UOA.

What on earth for? The 2.0T isn't prone to sludging at all. Like ANY turbocharged engine it is prudent to use synthetic oil and mind your service intervals, but that goes along with the fun of forced induction. Those turbos can get cherry red hot and you've got a stream of oil flowing through there to keep the bearings from going kaboom. I've got a picture somewhere of my old 1.8T A4 with the hood up after a "spirited" run in the dark and you can clearly see the turbocharger glowing red as it's sitting there idling and cooling down. :)

Personally, I wouldn't think twice about going 7500 miles on Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in that engine.

IIRC, shearing is the biggest issue with the 2.0T. At some point, performance is compromised.

Currently passed 15K miles, after 10K miles since the last oil change, which is the standard service interval for VAG. Have a few cases of RP lying around, but since it is not VW 502 spec, looking to run either PP or Valvoline Synpower.

Is it really okay to run such a long interval on the 2.0T motor? Driving is split between long highway trips and runs around town.

In short no. the 2.0T and other FSI engines are known to suffer from heavy fuel dilution of the oil, which in turn (in a nutshell), decreases the oil's ability to protect.

basically, 5000 mile oil changes recommended.

5k changes on your RP is fine. If it's a 30 weight, use it in the cooler months. I have a gallon of RP 15w-40 you are welcome to, pick-up in Philly.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
5k changes on your RP is fine. If it's a 30 weight, use it in the cooler months. I have a gallon of RP 15w-40 you are welcome to, pick-up in Philly.

I appreciate the offer, and everyone's responses. I will run RP at 5K intervals instead of Audi's recommended 10K. However, to save some hassle, as the filter is a bit of a pain to remove, I will leave it in for 10K and simply flush out the oil every 5K. This way, I figure I can avoid the shearing claims against RP, but stay within Audi spec for filter change intervals.

Since I received a few cases of RP for free, I'll do this until either I sell or use up my supply. Will likely switch to Pennzoil Platinum at that point. Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I thought PP was not VW-502 approved.

As of TSB 17-09-05, March 2009 the following Pennzoil meets VW502.00:

PP Euro Formula 5w40
PP Euro Formula Ultra Diesel 5w30
PP Low SAPS 5w30
Pennzoil Synthetic Euro Formula 5w40

And good luck finding any of them on the shelves of your local auto parts store. AFAIK, at least some (if not all) of them are only available in 55gal drums.

That's interesting...I didn't know only the Euro Spec PP was approved. Curious as to what the difference is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back