Favorite Oil Filter Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, we are all on a motor oil site. A good number of us probably love to change oil.

I need to get a new oil filter wrench since the Altima uses a very small PL14612 type filter, so I'm looking at one of these kits:

LIS54920.jpg

https://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-54920.aspx

Others have suggested that I look at the pricey aluminum type caps by AST. And some other people have said that I should consider the "claw-type" wrench such as this one:

33218.JPG

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...amp;dir=catalog

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

I just use my bare hands, tight enough to need a wrench is too tight
wink.gif

I like the strap style... If you can get it into the place it needs to go, they provide lots of twisting power.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I just use my bare hands, tight enough to need a wrench is too tight
wink.gif

+1

I likely had my 16'' ChannelLocks 20 years before realizing removing oil filters was one more thing they did well. They were hanging right there over the workbench the whole time I struggled with the miserable filter on my Valiant.

I use one of these cheapo flexible ones since on the Jetta it's hard to fit any other kind of wrench down there to get a good grasp of the filter (if you're changing it from the top):

d010b290-e4ed-4f85-a94e-bf80df993083_4.jpg

One the 530i I just use a 36mm socket and a torque wrench.

I like the large pliers type wrench. Works on all three of my cars. The first time I changed the oil on my wifes 09 Acadia the filter was on incredibly tight. Even using the good wrench I had to destroy the filter to get it off. Once it started crushing the pliers type wrench gripped it even better.

I have a few different kinds depending on the car, i have the cap set on the top of Critic's post and it works awesome for almost every app that uses that kind of filter. The 6.0/6.4 Powerstroke filter socket is pretty awesome as well.

The 14610 and 14612 have a small diameter that my wrenches don't touch. However, because of the smaller diameter I can get a really good grip on it and I never need a wrench for that size. If it's really stuck though, you could always try some sandpaper or a pickle jar opener.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Others have suggested that I look at the pricey aluminum type caps by AST. And some other people have said that I should consider the "claw-type" wrench such as this one:

33218.JPG

Thanks!

I have Amsoil's version of this wrench and didn't care for it. Maybe it is the way I used it but I found it to be just OK. I found the right sized cap wrenches to work well. But then again I install my own filters, and don't gorilla torque them down so they come off easily. JMO

If you have room the pliers style work great. On my own vehicles I usually don't need anything more than my hand to remove/install filters.

15-Oil-Filter-Plier-LSS_i_LBM79583Z.jpg

Maybe you can get these with red handles for a few dollars more
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: The Critic

33218.JPG

Thanks!

I have Amsoil's version of this wrench and didn't care for it. Maybe it is the way I used it but I found it to be just OK. I found the right sized cap wrenches to work well. But then again I install my own filters, and don't gorilla torque them down so they come off easily. JMO

The 3 prong one of this are useless as they just punch holes into the bottom of the filter.

Mike, read this thread. Best filter wrench

It has photos and discussion that will help!

Bill

I have the end cap that fits the filter snugly.I also have the 3 jaw type wrench.The Snap-On model is made in China.KD tools sells one made here in the USA.Look on the internet.Prices very.If you also put small rubber/vinyl end-caps on the wrench bottom they grip better.Joe

Hammer and a big screwdriver.....

crackmeup2.gif

I have several wrenches. What works for one doesn't always work for another because of the filter location.

My favorite (for motorcycles) is a stamped steel flat wrench that fits over the flats on the end of the filter. Very effective.

I also have a chain wrench for those particularly stubborn filters.

It's amazing how many oil filter wrenches one accumulates over the years....

I've used many types. The best depends on the car.

"Just use your hand" sounds good, but it doesn't always work.

I had a VW where only the end cap type with an extension would fit. The problem was that I needed more than one because the number of flats on the filter wasn't standardized.

A BMW m20 engine with oil cooler has the filter under the exhaust manifold, laying against the block. There the cheap strap-type wrench works best. The flat spring steel is thin enough to fit between the filter and block where the claw type won't always fit. And the strap can slide to the filter base, the only place there is room to swing the handle.

A 4 cylinder Camry has the filter right up front, but the sides are completely blocked by the coolant outlet and A/C hoses. The end-cap type works best, although a big slip-joint pliers works as well.

I have a mac tools oil filter plier tool that I use on an everyday basis for years doing sometimes 5-10 oil changes a day

like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAC-TOOLS...omotiveQ5fTools

it works on most stuff, the only couple of cars I don't normally use it on are AWD Honda CR-V's, and the newer F-150's with the oil filter pointed towards the front of the vehicle... on the CRv's I use a 3 prong tool that grabs harder as you twist, I use that on a 3/8 to 1/4" adapter with a 1/4" swivel ratchet. On the Ford v8's I use the same prong tool, with a universal swivel, and a 3 foot extension......

IMHO the pliers are the best thing EVER for doing oil changes, I do a lot of oil changes on many different types of vehicles..

I wish I would have bought a claw type and be done with it. Just changed the filter on a Lexus RX300. The cap ones at local part stores did not fit. So, I had to return several of them. I had a rubber strap type device that worked from the side (barely). No room for most things. Hard to get leverage by hand due to the limited space and angle (not to speak of a nice exhaust manifold to work around).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back