Legal to pass on 2X yellow in PA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was always under the asumption not to cross the yellow line, the second yellow line was for the other lane/driver and was of no concern to me.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
It just seems crazy to have different traffic laws in different states, but that's the good ol' USA!

It is even worst in Canada: In Quebec, flashing green light means that that the opposite has a red and you can turn (left) with confidence. In BC, flashing green light means pedestrians have priority over the car so you basically have to wait and be sure before doing a left turn.

So now, guess what happens the first time a Quebecor meets a flashing green light when driving in BC? Sometimes a crash with a car coming the opposite way, at least some horns and pedestrians yelling at you.

Still hoping for an united Canada?

Originally Posted By: Pesca

It is even worst in Canada: In Quebec, flashing green light means that that the opposite has a red and you can turn (left) with confidence. In BC, flashing green light means pedestrians have priority over the car so you basically have to wait and be sure before doing a left turn.

That is why they put all of those provinces in between the two....saves lives...imagine if they were next to each other. OMG...the devastation the humanity!!!!

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I keep reading on the Internet that it is legal to pass on a double yellow line in PA, but I can't find any back up for that in PA statutes. Is that just another Internet rumor? Anyone have proof you can pass on a double yellow in PA? It would seem crazy if it is against the law in most other states.

I say we all chip in for one of them line paint trucks and sneak into PA. at night and paint a 3rd yellow line all over the state just to throw em off....
20.gif
Then change all the laws to read: "You may only pass IF the second yellow line is on your side of the road"
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
my logic; it's not illegal until a cop see's you do it. that being said, double yellow means no passing. you may pass on the side of the roadway with yellow dashes.

Double yellow means no passing, but is it legal to make a left turn crossing it ?

It is not legal to cross a double yellow to make a left turn in California, how about your state ?

I have to cross a double yellow to make a left turn every morning on my way to work here in NY. I see the police doing it all the time, and the double yellow is worn pretty thin from everyone doing it. It is a state highway too. So, I'm assuming it is legal to make a left turn over a double yellow in NY. On the other hand, I'm nearly 100% sure that is illegal to pass when there is a double yellow.

Sometimes I wonder if they just use a lot of yellow because they buy the paint in bulk and they need to use it up. Someone asked the NY DOT why they have such slippery tar in all the tar snakes, causing lots of motorcycle grief, and the answer from someone in the DOT was that they weren't going to change the tar, even though they knew it was a problem, until they used up their current stock.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Double yellow means no passing, but is it legal to make a left turn crossing it ?

It is not legal to cross a double yellow to make a left turn in California, how about your state ?
It is legal to cross a double Yellow in Ca as long as your pulling into a driveway or masking a U-Turn.

You can even make a U-Turn on a double yellow if you wish.

"A U-turn is turning around in the street to go back the way you came. To make a U-turn, signal and use the far left lane or the center left turn lane. You may make a U-turn:

Across a double yellow line when it is safe and legal."

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/turns.htm

"You may cross over a double solid yellow line to make a left turn at an intersection, to enter or exit a road or a driveway, or to make a U-turn, if it can be ..."

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/curriculum/Unit 4.pdf

You can't cross a double double yellow at any time.

It is absolutely legal to cross a double yellow to make a left turn in Virginia. If it weren't, you could go 10 miles out of your way to find a place to make a U-turn.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

It is legal to cross a double Yellow in Ca as long as your pulling into a driveway or masking a U-Turn.

You can even make a U-Turn on a double yellow if you wish.

"A U-turn is turning around in the street to go back the way you came. To make a U-turn, signal and use the far left lane or the center left turn lane. You may make a U-turn:

Across a double yellow line when it is safe and legal."

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/turns.htm

"You may cross over a double solid yellow line to make a left turn at an intersection, to enter or exit a road or a driveway, or to make a U-turn, if it can be ..."

Chris, there are bunch of gotcha places you can't make a U turn over a double yellow in California

From your source
Quote:

Never make a U-turn:

In business districts. Areas with churches, apartments, multiple dwelling houses, clubs, and public buildings (except schools) are also considered to be business districts. Turn only at an intersection or where openings are provided for turns.

"... Turn only at an intersection or where openings are provided for turns"

This clause is the reason I never make a left or U-turn crossing double yellow, there are too many area not legal to complete a left or U-turn to remember. Going to the next intersection to make a U-turn costs only extra 30-60 seconds.

If you can't cross a double yellow line to make a left, what happens if there is one in front of your driveway?

Originally Posted By: XS650

Chris, there are bunch of gotcha places you can't make a U turn over a double yellow in California

True but a blanket statement such as "It's illegal in Ca" is not true. It's not legal everywhere and some counties and cities may have laws against it that override the state law.

I reciently had to retake the written test in Ca and one of the Q's was about crossing a double yellow to pull into a parking lot. That is legal unless marked illegal.

All I know is one thing for sure, don't hit a pedestrian while they are jaywalking across the street in California. Trust me, I found out the hard way many years ago.

You guys are right, I didn't know the legality of the double yellow and only make left turn at the "openings are provided for turns" or make a U-turn at the next intersection.

I would assume these sorts of regulatory traffic laws are all common to at least the lower 48 states or this law in particular. Living in N.C. the last 3 years the roads can be terrible. Lanes less than a parking space wide, no shoulder,no runoff area of any sort. Mail boxes right to the edge, in towns, small cities, double yellow lines continuous. The mailman, peds, bicycles, would upset traffic flow drastically if you didn't pass. The dbl. yellow does enable the police to pull you over crossing the double yellow if they want. It is considered probable cause. Vehicles aproching you pass within inches of your mirrors and the speed limit is 35 mph and up on most these dangerous roads.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: XS650

True but a blanket statement such as "It's illegal in Ca" is not true. ....

It's equally untrue, and may result on someone getting a ticket to say It is legal to cross a double Yellow in Ca as long as your pulling into a driveway or masking a U-Turn.[/quote]

There are lots of times it isn't legal to make a U-turn over a double yellow.

Originally Posted By: willix
I would assume these sorts of regulatory traffic laws are all common to at least the lower 48 states or this law in particular.

There are loads of subtle and not so subtle differences from state to state.

Last edited:
Ha! I wish it were so that all 50 states had the same traffic laws. There are many, many variations. Here is a Web site just outlining the differences in laws about keeping right: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back