What oil should I use? 2008 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What kind of vehicle you have
2008 Honda Fit Sport. 1.5L VTEC 4 cylinder automatic
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
5W20, API SM, has oil change reminder light (generally 6k miles)
3. Where you live
Northern CA
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Medium, revving to 4.5k on freeway often.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
short trips span>
6. Whether your car has any known problems
no problems

If you have any preferences -- synthetic vs. conventional, store-bought vs. ordered online, how long you'd like to go between oil changes, etc. -- or any other info you think might be important, let us know that as well.

I like to do my own oil changes and don't mind paying extra for a better oil. As the vehicle is under warranty I am not going to try extended drain intervals yet. Generally prefer synthetic with this car (PP seems to make it respond a bit better - could be in my head though).

Last edited:
Your using of PP is perfect for your conditions. For warranty you need to do manufacture OCI's and it is with dino, you are having extra margin with PP in your engine.

PP is a great choice. Mobil 1, Honda 5w-20, and Honda 0w-20 (which is at least largely synthetic) are great alternatives, but there's no reason to switch IMO. If you're happy with PP, stick with it.

6000 miles? I'm pretty surprised your MM would go down that quickly. PP would be great for that relatively short OCI, you could also do it with a conventional and any other syn as well.

The MM looks at things like # of cold starts, revs etc. It does some mumbo gumbo math to predict oil life.

Anyway, that is likely why there are differences from one user to the next.

PP 5w-20, M1 5w-20 or 0w-20 would be my choices for sure protection with the short trips. Others may recommend motorcraft or something, which surely would be good too.

Do Hondas run on xw-20 oils need to have those oils meet some Honda performance spec? If so, make sure you do for warranty's sake.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Honda's 0W-20; it's a no brainer.
An alternative would be Toyota's 0W-20; very similar formulation.

Possibly dumb question... where do I buy Honda/Toyota 0W-20 oils... the dealerships?

Thanks

"o Hondas run on xw-20 oils need to have those oils meet some Honda performance spec? If so, make sure you do for warranty's sake."

No, the only spec they have is the HTO-06, which only applies to the RDX.

Honda/Toyota 0w-20's are at the dealership, but they will be ~7 bucks a quart. I'd much rather buy a 5-20 off the shelf somewhere for half that. But, from VOA's they are good quality products.

Honda's Maintenance Minder is a great system. Use it in conjunction with any 5W-20 dino and enjoy your Fit for a good 300K+ more miles.

I am set on getting a Fit myself, but I am having the hardest time finding a Sport w/ nav in a manual transmission. They are GREAT little cars, and an absolute steal for the price.

Yes you get it from your local Honda (or Toyota) parts guy.
Call first just to make sure they have it in stock.
Up here the Toyota oil is a couple of bucks/bottle cheaper than the Honda oil but both will give you a deal if you buy a case of 12 bottles. That way we can get the Honda for about 6 bucks and the Toyota for $4.49 a bottle.

BTW, I particularly love your piano concerto #20 in D Minor!

Use what Mr. Honda recommends... 5W20 SM ... or you could go 0W-20 SM. All the oils are GF IV now but that will change at a future date and IV will no longer be available.

Personal pick... Motorcraft 5W-20 Blend or the 0W-20 Syn. Cheap good!!! and available nearly everywhere they sell oil.

12.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zulu
.. ...

I am set on getting a Fit myself, but I am having the hardest time finding a Sport w/ nav in a manual transmission. They are GREAT little cars, and an absolute steal for the price.
I though they were WAY over price - there all around 17K up here, I only paid 12,500USD for my yaris with lots of options (that I didnt really want). Do yourself a big favour in comparison shopping and drive the little Suzuki SX4. Great handling and usually about 13K out-the-door in a 2wd. Fiat designed chassis! No Resale value! Long Warranty! People LOVE 'em. The Kia Rio 5 is a great, refined driver too, but the engine and shifter are a bit too "girly".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back