Good farm grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market for grease on our farm. we used RedTek EP for years a litium red grease and recently we had lubri-delta moly but seems thiner the litium we used to have. we have big tractors ranging from 100hp to 300hp and fleet trucks. I know sheaffer make good product but its on the expensive side. we need grease for heavy load wheel bearing, PTO chaft and drive shaft, gear-case bearing, ball bearing, king-pins, bushing/pin ect. we also have snow removal contracts and in quebec the temperature is 100F to -40F. I need a good grease that can work in wet and dirty conditions.

we could manage to have different type of grease for application but i dont want 5 grease guns on the wall.

welcome2.gif
to your first post on BITOG.

Can you give us a list of greases that are readily available to you in your part of Canada? Give us something to choose from.

Shell product
Petro canada
Esso
Sheaffer
Amzoil
redtek
lubri-delta
John-deere
penzoil
Case
agco/massey-furguson
motomaster
Castrol
Valvoline
Lucas Red n Tacky
LuMax

I think that its pretty it but if you have something to suggest I can always try to get it. I live 2h away from new-york states

Johnny, I use JD HD lithium complex grease at my workplace out of convenience, but it's specs. don't look to be anything special to me.

Traxter Master, why are you changing from the RedTec?

The one grease that has recently caught my eye is the Mystic JT 6 high temp grease. If you compare it's specs. to many common greases, it is better in almost all categories. It's washout rate is even better than many marine greases. Someone correct me if I am interpreting the spec. sheets wrong.

http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/591094.pdf

Here's FastSuv's discussion: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1569193&page=1
It almost looks too good to be true and I wonder if grease is like oil....you can't determine its real life performance by comparing specs.?

They use Mystic JT 6 where I work,I dont like it at all.It washes out really bad.So on the semi I drive I use Amsoil,it holds up under wet conditions a lot better.

I've used Conklin's para-synthetic (Rhino)for 30 years. Not the cheapest but the best I've found for wet conditions and bearings stay cooler and last longer. It doesn't leave air gaps and really hangs to the metal.

I also work on a crew that empties manure lagoons on large dairies 3,000 to 5,000 head. This equipment is constantly subjected to the acid in the manure, moisture and sand. The boss says Conklin's grease has reduced the need to replace bearing and universals so much he makes money by using it.

Now to be honest this is a shameless plug because I also sell the Conklin lubes. I also have a farmer customer with a fleet of trucks that spends most of the winter transporting Sugar Beets from the piling grounds to the factory for processing. Between the trucks and his farming operation they will use 1600 to 1800 tubes of grease in a years time.
MillersCrews2009024.jpg

Originally Posted By: 190xt
I also have a farmer customer with a fleet of trucks that spends most of the winter transporting Sugar Beets from the piling grounds to the factory for processing. Between the trucks and his farming operation they will use 1600 to 1800 tubes of grease in a years time.
MillersCrews2009024.jpg

1600-1800 tubes of grease???

Why don't they buy it in drums??

I have an account with johndeere dealership and i do have a easy way to get it. which grease are you talking about theres 10 kinds of john deere grease.

Originally Posted By: davefr
Originally Posted By: 190xt
I also have a farmer customer with a fleet of trucks that spends most of the winter transporting Sugar Beets from the piling grounds to the factory for processing. Between the trucks and his farming operation they will use 1600 to 1800 tubes of grease in a years time.
MillersCrews2009024.jpg

1600-1800 tubes of grease???

Why don't they buy it in drums??

They have talked about drums but felt with an operation spread out like theirs they would rather stick with tubes at this time. 190XT

Wow, weird they are staying with tubes. I switched over from tubes to pails a long time ago and use a pump to fill up my grease gun from the pail. I got tired of the air pockets created by the inevitable introduction of air when a tube is inserted into a gun. Tubes are also messy.

I just switched to using a Conoco Megaplex XD-3 on our farm. I was also looking at the Lucas, Castrol and Schaeffers but I was able to get the Conoco quite a bit cheaper/tube and beside the Schaeffer's, it was the only one that had moly in it. Had specs that I thought were very comparable to the Schaeffers as well. The Conoco also has a lithium base like our previous grease did so I wanted to stick with that. We don't need to drive down into our lagoon like 190xt there though. It's good enough for us to just pump it out.

Originally Posted By: sdan27
We don't need to drive down into our lagoon like 190xt there though. It's good enough for us to just pump it out.

We also have a tank crew, once the liquids are removed the sand crew moves in and takes the sand out of the lagoon. These dairies bed free stalls with sand, the Knight spreaders go down not the tanks. In a slatted floor operation and where straw is used for bedding the spreaders aren't necessary. Straw pumps sand doesn't.
MillersCrews2009012.jpg

Last edited:
We had coal trucks in PA and hauled alot of Strip mines that got abused in mud and water like you showed. My Dad loved this dark gray Pennzoil EP grease. I cant remmember the exact number but once you use it you wont forget it the stuff was sticking and tough. I hated using it but we had no failures with it. It stuck to everything including you. You might try finding it at your Pennzoil dealer and trying a case.

Getting around the water you'll probably want to stay with Aluminum Complex or Calcium Sulfonate as a thickener. Holds up to water better than Lithium complex greases.

I think its still out there, that stuff would ruin clothes like now, It looked like dark gray and was almost impossiable to pump in cold weather because it was so thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back