Older car? thicker oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be - Cold vis isnt measured at that temp (0degF) the xxW SAE-J300 designations are determined at much lower temps, maybe 5 deg near where they become plastic. Actually thinking they may cross near zero deg though, visc calc arent good at these temps - its a log function not linear. You HAVE to talk specific oils as the MRV# vary greatly - ex: the M1 0w-30AFE is almost 1/3 as viscous as a M1 0w-40, 11k v. 26K cP at -40c respectively. Note that Base stock are improved, my rotella T dino 10w-30 has a pour of -40c.

I realize some may be, but I know my conventional 10W-30 GTX SL is much thicker to the shake in the bottle than RTS 5W-40 this morning when it was 12F.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I run 10w30 M 1 all the time, 200,000mile on a 318 dodge,2002, no oil usage yet, doesn't drip etc, no weird engine noises, manual says to use 10w30, when in doubt, read ur owners manual, they never say a thing about bearing wear and using heavier oils., oh the days of the 60s when folks traded every 50, ooo miles or so, didn't have to worry yourself sick over oil thickness,,we only had 30 wt most of the time, maybe 20 wt in cold weather. Dad had an old 60 model Plymouth 318 then, we never had problems with that engine,,,o boy,,history repeats itself,,now I'm driving a van with the same engine,,works for me,lol...............

Nobody ever has any problems with a 318 though
wink.gif
Great engine that is. (And the 360)

If a car is leaking oil(outside the engine), it just need to be repaired. If a car is burning oil, I can see using a little thicker oil.

"Cold components in an engine when it's first started." That's a good time to listen for strange knocking sounds. When it's below freezing. Listen from outside the car. If you do hear something, use an oil you're sure will provide best flow in cold temps.

"How's your oil pressure?" If my cars do not have an op gage, can I just listen to the engine idling when oil is at normal temp? One of my cars is quite noisy when I check it this way. Can I assume op is a little low? I am tempted to switch to 10w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back