Best ATF for 2008 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car will be at 44k on the next service interval and I think it might be a good time to flush (or drain/fill/repeat as Honda recommends) the tranny. Normally, this service interval is handled by the maintenance minder but Honda's reputation for Automatics isn't stellar so I want to do some preventive, albeit, premature maintenance.
Is the general consensus to continue using Honda's Z1 or is there a better option such as synthetics?
TIA

Last edited:
I have two Honda Elements and they are both performing better than new with Amsoil ATF in them. I highly recommend it for your Civic.

Z-1 is a decent fluid, and with proper drain intervals has taken many Hondas past the 100k mark, including our 99 Civic.

But there are now some better compatible products out there, including the ATF Johnny is using.

Johnny, I thought you were using D4 in your Hondas. Did you switch? Or was that a different rig?

Stick with OE if you still have some sort of a powertrain warranty to maintain. Otherwise, use it anyhow or try what Johnny has recommended...

The most important thing is that you do it!

Honda ATF is a high quality ATF, you won't go wrong using it. IMHO, any upgrade is of little benefit. Change it at Honda's recommended limits and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Have a flush performed (T-tec, preferrably) with Amsoil ATF if you are serious about tranny longevity.

There is a difference between Z(ero)-1 Honda fluid and Amsoil, Redline D4, Schaeffer's, etc. And that difference does not favor Z-1.

Perform a drain and re-fill with Amsoil every 40k miles after the flush and your tranny should be just fine.

My Civic is a high mileage commuter (about 30k/yr). I'm not really concerned with taking it to 100k as I'm sure it will make it with little or no maintenance. I am concerned with taking it to 300k with little or no major repair.
The warranty was done at 36k and I don't believe in extended warranties so the warreaty not an issue.
I think JHZR2 has good point... just "do it".
Does anyone know if Z1 is synthetic? I'm leaning towards AmsOil but am cautious of deviating from Honda's ATF Z1 "requirement".
My plan is doing the Honda approved flush which is drain/fill/repeat with 13 qts of fluid now and then doing a single drain/fill (2.5 qts) every other oil change or 15k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work

Z-1 is a decent fluid, and with proper drain intervals has taken many Hondas past the 100k mark, including our 99 Civic.

But there are now some better compatible products out there, including the ATF Johnny is using.

Johnny, I thought you were using D4 in your Hondas. Did you switch? Or was that a different rig?

I had D4 in one of them but they are both running the Amsoil product now.

Our '03 Accord is shifting perfectly with the Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF I put in several months ago.

Not sure if Maxlife fluid would be the right choice. Does anyone know? I have a 2001 Honda CRV and an Acura MDX and both are over 100K miles. Thinking about trying something different as long as it is better. Amsoil or anything else that is available at a parts store?

Yes, you're right, 5/60 for the powertrain!
Thanks for the heads up. I thought it was 3/36 for the entire car. That's a decision maker, Z1 it is.

I have used M1 ATF for many years with good results, but if I had to go to another Fluid it would be Amsoil for sure.

Originally Posted By: cjhepburn
Yes, you're right, 5/60 for the powertrain!
Thanks for the heads up. I thought it was 3/36 for the entire car. That's a decision maker, Z1 it is.
Good point. Others might poo poo that point and say Magnuson-Moss blah blah blah. Unless you happen to be a lawyer, why chance it? In my personal experience Z-1 has worked just fine in an 01 Civic.

After warranty, the tranny fluid I have seen mentioned positively here most often for Honda's, is Amsoil.

Got 102k Bass Boat towing miles on my 02 V6 Accord. So far;So good. I try to accelerate,decelerate,and drive my engine/tranny as smoothly and carefully as possible. Gotta get at least 150k before considering a trade in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back