Looking for a SHORT socket set.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I know the higher end companies have a short, stubby socket set. What I am looking for is a cheaper version; something in the 50$ range. I need a set of 3/8 drive SAE and Metric in a very short style. Hard to find, I would buy a used set as this is a tool I would use less. Without making my own, ie grinder a set down to desired hieght, looking for ideas. Thanks in advance for your responses. I know proto has a set, just don't want to lay out 65 bucks plus shipping for each version. TYSM

The problem with short sockets is still the thickness of the ratchet.I use pass through sockets where the top of the socket is in the ratchet.
A set like this one should be fine for 3/8 use.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002U2ODO/ref=...mp;linkCode=asn

From the product description..
"Over all height is reduced by as much as 50%, width by 20%. The unique GearRatchet drive configuration increases torque strength by as much as 40% and needs as little as 5º or arc. Chrome vanadium steel. Fully hardened. Features fine tooth 5º ratchet handle"

Guys, I realize the pass through set is out there. But I was trying to avoid buying another set, ratchet and all, just clogs up your box. If you really examine the pass through set, and measure it with a socket, it's not a real close clearance type of ratchet. I have in my box a couple of very thin type of ratchets. I could use adapters and use a gear wrench with a socket, this is narrower than a gear wrench. Don't you guys get tired of seeing the sets sold at various stores with all the stuff added to it, when you really only need one or two of the pieces in the set? I have been guilty of buying a set just to get the various 1 or 2 tools I need. I have about 100 3/8 extensions and various other junk I don't need or want....I appreciate the input though. You guys are sharp, that's why I come here for the ABC type of knowledge!

Last edited:
Already looked at the infamous HF, no real animosity towards HF, just that they didn't have one. Although their chinese sockets would make good subjects for a 'grinderized' version of what I need. Their soft metal would be easy to grind off!

Last edited:
Thansk for the compliment!!! My suggestion is to get a set of socket adapters from Sears, #43330. You put the adapter into the socket and turn the hex with a wrench. Takes very little room, very little weight; and it's about as short as you're going to get.

Originally Posted By: bangtango
Already looked at the infamous HF, no real animosity towards HF, just that they didn't have one. Although their chinese sockets would make good subjects for a 'grinderized' version of what I need. Their soft metal would be easy to grind off!

You have access to a Rockwell testing machine I assume?

Yes I do, I work for NASA and and my work on the ISS requires me to change the rocket lube every 3000 launches.

No I dont have a Rockwell tesing machiine. If I did, I do not think I would be looking for a cheap socket set or shopping at HF.
Thanks for the other replies though.

Just a question then. How do you know the H/F sockets are soft? And just what consistutes "CHEAP"? Is selling price the criteria? If so do you use this same logic in all your purchases?

By soft I mean that from personal experience, HF hand tools are made of a lesser quality of steel than higher priced counterparts. Most people who have shopped and used HF tools will for the most part agree with this statement. I have a lot of HF stuff, used mostly for low torque applications that do not require a great deal of strength. If you are looking for a discussion, or fight, on HF tools, go for it. But that is not my intention. If you are a dedicated fan of HF, great. By cheap I mean less expensive. Do I scrimp on stuff? NO, my car list shows that I spend money on stuff, my 98 Cobra, 2010 SHO, 2009 Crysler 300, 2001 BMW 540 w/ M sport package. I spend what I need, but I don't want to spend foolishly.
Does anyone else have any comments on the above mentioned short socket set?

Last edited:
Truck on down to your local pawn shop and buy the sizes of sockets you require and modify them as required. You'll have quality materials at a cheap price. You may even find the short sockets you're loking for. Who knows.

There see I'm not looking for a fight!

Originally Posted By: Paul2007
Thansk for the compliment!!! My suggestion is to get a set of socket adapters from Sears, #43330. You put the adapter into the socket and turn the hex with a wrench. Takes very little room, very little weight; and it's about as short as you're going to get.

Can you give the actual # or link? Sears website really sucks.

There is a wide range of quality in the Harbor Freight tools.

The direct experience I have with the hardness of their sockets is with a deep impact socket. A 17mm socket split due to heavy abuse (breaker bar with a 4.5 foot pipe). It was tough enough that it didn't shatter, it just cracked at a thin section.

We thought that we might turn it into a medium depth socket with an angle grinder, but almost instantly gave up when we decided it wouldn't be worth the wear on the grinding wheel. It definitely was not soft steel.

Originally Posted By: bangtango

By soft I mean that from personal experience, HF hand tools are made of a lesser quality of steel than higher priced counterparts.

You're right. A while ago I needed to modify a wrench by cutting it in two and grinding the head thin. (long story).

I bought a wrench from HF and was able to cut in with a normal hacksaw. I was surprised how easy it was to machine. It was like a hot knife cutting thru warm butter machining this HF wrench.

Hand tools are heat treated down to a somewhat soft state to prevent shattering. This is why a wrench doesn't break when using a cheater bar. Can you imangine the law suits if sockets and combe wrenches shattered with the strain some folks have ability to put on them. Ever wonder why the Allen wrench goes bad before the Allen screw? Think about it!

Don't believe me, try a file test on various sockets or wrenches. All mine did a notch very close to the same size. This was trying it with Proto, Stanley, S/K Wayne, Harbor Freight, Sears Craftsman, and Snap-on tools. These tools span decads of purchasing, from the '50's to present day.

May the bashing continue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
OK, here is the plan. Going to grind off a set of cheapy sockets, 3/8 drive.
Sorry to be a hater on Harbor Frieght, I am a shopper, just not a dedicated beleiver in chinese metalurgy.
By the way....why is it so hard to find a set of the close, small sockets? Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, et all, no one carries these. Snappy has a set, if I want to spend 150 bucks. Proto has a set for 68 bucks for a set of 6 sockets. Come on tool companies, is this a set of sockets that only I look for?
Thanks for the replies, still looking for that perfect set!

I bet its because of the fine line the mfg. has to walk between having the socket soft enough so it doesn't shatter or more likely break with sharp edges, and still being tough/strong enough to do the job.

Folks "not meaning you at all" are sue crazy any more and its always the mfg. fault when something goes wrong. Can you imagine the insurance a mfg. of hacksaw blades must carry the way they splinter for some ding dong who's unable to keep the saw straight.

The above is an assumption but makes a little sense to me.

Last edited:
why are you in need of these sockets in the first place?

just to have an entire set or do something specific with them?

its obvious your not a mechanic... no diss intended, what I mean by this is maybe your looking to have some tools to work on your car.

in a short style and say you have a toyota camry, it may only be nessecary for you to get a 12, 14, and a 17mm short socket(any other sizes honestly should be done with 1/4 or 1/2" drive respectively). That might be all you use, you can get by on deep sockets a lot more then people would think. In fact that is the normal socket I goto grab first, unless its something I know is siezed, or I know the deep won't fit... then I got for the short socket. They are nice when you goto tighten/loosen something really tight, it seems to grab the bolt head better with lots of force applied to it.

if you only really were going to use a few sockets for your application, it might be best just to get some single snap-on sockets. You can buy 3 singles cheaper then 100 bucks for sure even at full retail and then some. If you need specific stuff track them down on ebay seperately used and you might suprise yourself on how little money you spend. In the end you got some nice sockets that are not only more durable then generic brands, but actually work better too.

here is a snapon short chrome 12mm 3/8 drive for 10 bucks shipped..... just for example

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SNAP-ON-3...omotiveQ5fTools

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back