Amsoil BE cross ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any filter that are the same type of media as the old Amsoil BE bypass filters? Seems to me it was a good proven setup that worked and I'm not to crazy about the new design.

I think if you contact Baldwin/Hastings they might be able to help you. I doubt you will get it in the 1-16 thread. I believe the "packed disc" media is theirs.

I understand your reasoning, and I felt the same when they first changed over to the EaBP design. The old filter used cellulose, which would suck out moisture and the new filter doesn't.

I've been using the new EaBP filters for the last few OCIs, but used the old design on my first several. If you look at my UOA, you will see that the new ones might be a little more efficient (assuming the driving conditions were similar, which I believe they were). I do mostly highway driving, so moisture isn't a problem anyway.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
How does oil saturated cellulose suck moisture 'water'

I remember how DalesS2 on JeepsUnlimited installed an oilguard filter several years ago and showed how it removed all moisture in his oil after many cumulative analyses with different full-flow filters on the same oil. The moisture gradually increased with each full-flow filter change, but when he installed the OilGuard filter, it removed all the moisture.

I assume that it happens because cellulose is made of organic cells, which are designed to absorb moisture. Being saturated in oil doesn't prevent them from absorbing water.

If it was an oil guard, then it should have had a cotton wound filter. This is not an argument against your assertion here, it ju8st might be you're mistaken on what media provided the absorption properties.

I recall DalesII (Frank was his name) ..excellent researcher.

I'm pretty sure that Frank was using an oilguard, however the thread is completely gone now and I can't confirm it. Nevertheless, cotton has similar properties to cellulose. Unlike synthetic media, they're both natural fibers that absorb moisture.

It used to be in google archives (or whatever it was called). The images were gone. Frank totally dropped off the radar after that bit on JU.

No ..he's still alive and well. I sent him an email.

http://home.att.net/~email.id/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back