which oil for 91 MR2 TURBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
91 mr2 turbo 130 K miles

i got a mr2 turbo with water cooled turbo
with a oil cooler that has coolant flowing to it.

keeps stable oil temps.

coolant runs at 170 *

purchased car , no leaks at all.

did maintenance filled with mobil 1 10w30

2 weeks later made seepage from all around front main and oil pump seals

checked level 1 quart low
\

basically mobil one burned/leaked i was adding like 1 quart every 700 miles.

its not a mechanicial problem compresstion test came out PERFECT.

tryed mobil 1 15w50

same crap. leaks

switched to castrol high milege 10w-40

no leaks no consumption at all.?

but anyways. what you guys think

stick to castrol high mileage (HM)

or super tech full synthetic high milege 10w30
do you think the synthetic will bring back my leaks or ill be okay since this super tech synthetic has a Hm additive package

or super tech dino 10w30

I won't argue as to whether or not your leaks were caused by synthetic, but since you did experience leaks with synthetic, I'd say go with the Castrol HM 10w40. Looks like a decent oil on paper at least.

Sounds like you might want to try a product called Auto-rx I have not tried it but I have read about people having the same problems as you listed that have given this product a shot and its worked for them. I am going to use it just to clean my engine but I have no leaks as of right now and I switched over to synthetic amsoil 0w30 after I got the truck and it had 123K miles at the time. I have since tried Mobil 1 10W30 and still no leaks. So I dont really think your leaks are from the synthetic but more from the seals but I could be wrong JMHO.3

even if it did not leak from seals
i and my dads camry 91 and his ford f350 van v8

all consume tons of oil with mobil one for some odd reason

and it seems quite a few here experience consumption problems with it here also

that Auto-RX stuff seems very pumped up over here. i wouldent doubt that it's sales are in someway connected to funding of the forum, but none the less if it works thats what counts.. but im not willing to spend 25 dollars a bottle... if it was properly priced i would order a few.

Chevron Delo 15-50 is the same weight as the Castrol 10-40HM and a low cost option that might be worth a try. You get the cleaning action without paying AutoRX. Worst case you go back to CAstrol HM. Its cheaper than CAstrol HM at Walmart. HM working just tells you you need thick oil or the seals are a mess probably from poor maintenance. Do you know what the prior owner used?

If you spent $20+ per oil change on syn why is that price point too high now. Most users of Auto RX are trying to unwind prior owner neglect.
I looked and MR2 users that used Mobil1 from the beginning don't have your problems so you can rule out the prior owner doing syn. I'd be trying to figure out what condition the prior owner left your motor. Look in the oil tube. I'd quess you can't just pop a valve gasket with the supercharger there. Rear mains are trouble but are sometimes helped with the product.

Sorry I meant 15-40 chev delo. The mobil 1 did start cleaning that motor so it wasn't a total waste.

I had the same experience with my Mazda. M1 5-30
just went through a qt a 1000. Chev 5-30 is stable. I had a 10-30 HM penzoil in but the lifters didn't like thicker. I did Auto RX on my used Japanese motor I put in, had to pull the valve cover to redo the gasket as one of the cover bolts got loose - the valve train is silver new. I thought I had some ring
help too but that's more subjective so who knows with butt dynos.

I'd try the delo first.

Valvoline 5w20 All Climate will do just fine.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back