VW Golf Diesel Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know,, I believe Schaeffer's Oil has a distributor in Germany. Their Series 9000 5W-40 is 505.01 compliant (not VW approved though). I'd love to know what that sells for in DE.

I may make a phone call on my next trip. Off topic a bit,, but it's difficult to ship items to Germany that are normally taxed at a very high rate. I have some friends that like for me to send them vitamins because their vitamins are a very weak concentration. I shipped a box to them and they were returned from customs. Now I simply hand carry them with me and follow Bill Clinton's advice of 'don't ask, don't tell'.

I did check into my companies policy on shipping motor oil since I considered taking a case to our OP friend.. but they said 'NEIN!"

I tried to edit my previous post and it was too late. They cut me off.. just like my neighborhood bar.

Here's the info on Schaeffer's oil:

OK, I looked up Schaeffer's oil in Germany and there is a distributor south of Stuttgart going towards the Bodensee. It would be a pleasant drive past my old stomping grounds of Nagold.. past the Mercedes plant in Böblingen,, and then high speed south to Hohenfels.

e-mail: [email protected]
telephone: 49 0 75 57 92 88 10
company: FGS GmBH, Weidenäcker 2, 78355 Hohenfels (Selgetsweiler)

I'd love to hear what their prices are compared to what we pay here.

You can review the data sheets at: Schaefferoil.de (it's in German so hopefully you're fluent)

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Originally Posted By: yobow1
Tornado, my car does have a particulate filter. Will some oils clog this filter...sounds like it, but not sure of the mechanics. Thx.

Yobow, I don't understand the mechanics of it either. IMO it is more important to use an ultra-low-sulfur fuel than it is to use a particular engine oil. Only a tiny bit of engine oil will ever get past the piston rings into the combustion chamber; the additives in that oil can never have as much effect on the longevity of the DPF as the additives in a single tank of high-sulfur fuel.

Here's my recommendation: during the warranty period (60k miles for the drive train) use the correct VW-rated oil. Comply with the warranty, just in case. After the warranty period, use whichever oil provides the best engine protection -- and if the emissions systems are working okay, then you may want to choose an oil based on keeping those systems functional. This oil may or may not meet a VW spec, there are API-rated oils which might work just as well.

VW 507 oils are Low-SAPS oils. SAPS stands for Sulfated Ash, Phosphorous, & Sulfur. 505.01, 505.00, etc. they are mid-SAPS.

The CCV system lets in a ton of oil, which the intercooler filters out much of. You've seen how relatively simple & ineffective the spring-loaded hockey puck is...

I think there's some confusion in this thread since this vehicle isn't sold in the US. The 2005 model Golf Plus is 1,9 liter PD engine and does NOT require the VW 507 low SAPS oil.

This particular car (equipped with one of three engine; BJB, BKC, or AVQ) specifies either 505.01 for normal drain intervals or 506.01 for extended drain intervals.

This car doesn't have the DPF system found on the common rail engines and doesn't require the same oil. I suggested the 505.01 5W-40 because it's more common and less expensive.

Personally I still have not seen official notification that 507 is to supercede 505.01. I have seen that it can be used in place of,, in a pinch.

Best of luck to the OP,, and may you all have a pleasant 2010.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I think there's some confusion in this thread since this vehicle isn't sold in the US. The 2005 model Golf Plus is 1,9 liter PD engine and does NOT require the VW 507 low SAPS oil.

This particular car (equipped with one of three engine; BJB, BKC, or AVQ) specifies either 505.01 for normal drain intervals or 506.01 for extended drain intervals.

This car doesn't have the DPF system found on the common rail engines and doesn't require the same oil. I suggested the 505.01 5W-40 because it's more common and less expensive.

Personally I still have not seen official notification that 507 is to supercede 505.01. I have seen that it can be used in place of,, in a pinch.

Best of luck to the OP,, and may you all have a pleasant 2010.

Yes, it is true, in the US market, DPF's on the Golf/Jetta didn't pop up until this year, with the common rail engine.

However, in europe, where the OP is from, DPF's showed up earlier, when PD technology was still in use. Even he confirmed it.

Originally Posted By: yobow1
Tornado, my car does have a particulate filter. Will some oils clog this filter...sounds like it, but not sure of the mechanics. Thx.

To add more fuel to the fire, DPF's appeared in the US market around 2006, with the reintroduction of the Touareg V10 TDI. Yes, 505.01 was the recommended oil according to VWoA. However, the proper oil was 506.01. People have gotten correspondance from VWoA to allow the use of 506.01 oil (usually back at that time, Elf Evolution CR-V 0w30, which was actually a PAO basestock)

This guy isn't in the USA. This car isn't sold in the USA, this car isn't operated in the USA.

VW of Germany recommends 505.01 for this engine,, it's in his owners manual for crying out loud. Why argue these things?

This guy isn't in the USA. This car isn't sold in the USA, this car isn't operated in the USA.

VW of Germany recommends 505.01 for this engine,, it's in his owners manual for crying out loud. Why argue these things?

Nuff said.

Originally Posted By: salesrep

Nuff said.

Maybe not. It depends on whether his car is still under warranty and what non-VW-spec oils are out there. Many VW users in North America have switched to API-rated oils with excellent results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back