New Wheels Now Car Won't Move - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 95 Camry with 14 rims and I picked up a set of 14 inch Mitsubishi rims. Threw them on and they locked up the car. It sounds like metal scraping if I try to move a foot. Both tires were 195/70/14 and the rims said they were 14 x 5.5 just like my Camry's when I looked them up? I reused the lugs could it be that?

Something's rubbing... get a flashlight and look for clearance, or put the car back up in the air, pull one off (probably front) and see. (you might see an obvious scrape on the inside of the rim)

I helped a friend install some aftermarket steel wheels on a civic, he was told they were for his application. everything fit fine, hub, hole spacing, but the rim actually rubbed on the brake caliper. They were useless, he got a refund and bought the proper wheels elsewhere.

14x5.5 are only two of the many dimensions of a rim. The backspacking is very likely going to be different, the inside diameter of the rim in the backspaced area could also be different causing it to drag the calipers.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Wrong offset?

+1. OP, you are going to have to take the wheels off and get ones with a your OE offset.

Thank you for getting back to me guys. It sounds like I should have been more thorough before plowing ahead and placing them on the car. The only reason I bought them was because they came with 4 practically brand new Firestones on them. The owner totaled his car like 2 weeks after he put them on. He took $150 for all 4 so I was thrilled to get them since they are balanced and everything. Now I'm probably looking at another $100 to R/R and balance if not more.
They were a tight fit going on and the lugs didn't seem to poke through as far as they should. I hope I didn't damage anything. I'm guessing the diameter of the Mitsubishi rims is smaller than the Camry's.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Call George Costanza, he can help.

He's the one who told me they would fit.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
I'm guessing the diameter of the Mitsubishi rims is smaller than the Camry's.

What is it scraping against? It's most likely not wrong diameter but wrong offset, as others have pointed out.

http://www.speedace.info/tyres.htm

(scroll down about 1/3 of the page)

wheel.offset.gif

the lugs didn't seem to poke through as far as they should.

That's a pretty serious problem, IMO. Normally, when you buy new rims, you need to get new lugs that are dedicated for those rims and for the car that they'll be going on. Factor lugs not always work.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What is it scraping against? It's most likely not wrong diameter but wrong offset, as others have pointed out.

http://www.speedace.info/tyres.htm

(scroll down about 1/3 of the page)

wheel.offset.gif

Thanks for that info. I believe the offset was the problem. I put the old ones on and took them down to my tire guy to swap and balance them. He did it all for $68. Which involved taking my old 4 tires off and then taking my new tires off the Mitsubishi rims and remounting. Not too bad for all that I thought.

Happy New Year guys!

I put the old ones on and took them down to my tire guy to swap and balance them. He did it all for $68. Which involved taking my old 4 tires off and then taking my new tires off the Mitsubishi rims and remounting. Not too bad for all that I thought.

Happy New Year guys!

Now you can go sell the Mitsu wheels and recover some of your outlay!

Originally Posted By: rshunter
I put the old ones on and took them down to my tire guy to swap and balance them. He did it all for $68. Which involved taking my old 4 tires off and then taking my new tires off the Mitsubishi rims and remounting. Not too bad for all that I thought.

Happy New Year guys!

Now you can go sell the Mitsu wheels and recover some of your outlay!

My thoughts exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back