Password protect a network

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I password protect a home network? The router is a few years old (802.11b) but still works good in our home and I would rather not buy a new one. When I installed the software on my home computer, there was no option I saw to password protect it. How could I do that or would I have to purchase a newer router?

If you can supply the make and model of the router, someone here may be able to hunt down click-by-click instructions on logging into the router's administration settings and setting up a password.

-type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar what whichever internet browser you use.

-default login/pass for linksys is admin for name, and admin for password.

-click on the wireless

-click on security, select a type of security. I like WPA2-personal.

-give it a password, press apply and/or save, I forgot which.

From there you will have to add the password to your laptop or whatever wireless device you are using.

Being B-only it probably only has WEP encryption, which is weak and has a well known exploit.. It is better than nothing but dont think it cant be broken into if someone is curious. I would upgrade to a newer router and use at least WPA, but WPA2 is even better if all the wireless computers can do it.

When I type in admin for name, and admin for password, the same window pops back up as if the name/password are wrong but I didn't set up a name/password for them. Is there a way of resetting it back to admin?

Yo Onmo... there's an exploit for WEP? what is it? heh heh heh!
I like to: change the id & pw, change the IP address, turn off broadcasting, use an encryption key, use MAC address filtering, and set up time slot authorization windows for the various users. it was horrible the one time that I forgot the password! of course, the average user is just fine with much less. It's also nice to know that gigabit wireless is coming next. currently they are having good success in the 600-700 Mb range.

nice. just one more reason to stay wired. actually, its pretty hard to keep users wired these days. as much as we tell them not to, we have people attempting to run high-def video webcams over their home wireless. the result is not pretty. works just fine in a controlled environment like the office...

cool stuff. yup - I know that broadcast id can be sniffed and macs can be spoofed. I just do it because. I spent some time last year setting up key stores on servers and the whole topic of public keys, private keys, tokens, kerberos, etc made my head spin the first few times thru it.

sometimes I'd like to know more, but time is so limited.

You also can turn off the DHCP server and setup IP addresses manually on all devices connected to the network, in addition to other security measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back