Best oil for a toyota pickup with a 22r

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this question has already been asked, but buying a used toyota pickup with around 200K miles on it and not sure what oil has got it that far, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for this motor?

Thanks

I had a 92 Toyota PU with that engine, and I ran anything and everything in it with success. Mostly stuck with 30 weights, sometimes in the summer I would run a 40 weight. That engine is bulletproof.

Reccommendations? Use a good dino oil and go 3-5k between changes. Use a good group III syn and go 5-7k. Or use a group IV syn and go 8-10k.

My favorite off the shelf oils would be...PYB for dino, PP for group III, and GC for group IV.

Anything will work from M1 5W30 to M1 15W50. Match oil to ambient temp. Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 would be a good year round oil for this application.

I had a 22RE in a 89 TOY PU and put 210k miles on it when I sold it in 2005. I had it for 16 years. Changed oil at 5K intervals. Mostly VALVOLINE dino, and towards the end MAXLIFE every 3rd change. Never burned any oil and no engine problems ... Engine just purred! but bad rust on the body and bumpers. Sold it (basically give away price!) to teen two doors away. He ran it for 3 more years, and sold it to a friend when he got a good job and money. He said there was never an engine problem.

Originally Posted By: SigShooter
With 200k on it I'd run Walmart oil.

That or QS when they lower the price on occasion. Right now the ST oil is $9.50 for a 5qt jug. A few months back I bought several of the 5qt QS jugs for $8.50.

These engines are indestructable, as long as you keep oil in them, and make sure the timing chain guides are ok.

They are not at all picky about oil. You can run anything from a 5w30, to a 15w40. Personally I run PYB 5w30 in dad's '86 motorhome, and grandpa's '93 pickup. They seem to love it, and they run very smooth. Especially the camper, it has a hard life pulling 6600 lbs around. They both run great. I'd also choose a quality filter as well. Any of the Purolator line, or it's clones
(Motorcraft, Proline, Powerflo etc.), or WIX/Napa Gold/Carquest Blue. I find that the Napa Gold seems to help with the startup rattle that these engines have. Currently I'm running a Motorcraft FL-910 on both of these trucks. Oh, and I run them at a 3k interval. Before some of you will slam me on this you all know my position, after working at the dealership and seeing all the sludge on engines with 5-7k on dino. So my policy is typically 3k dino, 5k syn. That being said, this engine has no sludge issues at all, and the 2 that I maintain don't get much mileage. It takes 6 months for grandpa to go 3k, and it takes the camper a year or more to go 3k.

Please let us know what you decide,
Justin

Thanks for all the replies guys, ended up going with PYB 5W-30 and a wix oil filter, the Oriley's auto in my area had it on sale so went with it. Hope it works out, with it being my first time using a pennzoil product.

My uncle put 500,000 or actuly 485,000 before his speedo broke. He drove it another 4 years and then gave it to his boy as a mud bog and rock crawler. It now where's 44inch super swampers and a flat bed box made from aluminum and oak planking. My Dad just chaned the OEM rear shoes on it. It had to have the wires for the cender repaired due to corrision and went through two box's. The engine and trans are all OEM besides spark plugs and air filters. It has been run on what ever 5W30 was on sale. My uncle buys his oil by the case when on sale so he stock piles. Never seen more then 3000 miles between oil changes with dino 5W30. 1987 4x4 5spd with 22RE. He liked my Dad's 1986 4Runner and are 1982 Starlet so much he had to have a TOyota for himself. MInd you everything thing else he owns is GM and they go through the parts like creazy his 2002 Z71 has had 2 transmissions under warranty, about 12 pairs of rotor's,caliper,exhaust's and other things and that is his low milage vechile the Toyota was his work truck until recently.

The only weak spot in 22RE is front main seal and the thrust washer on the crank. These parts did not tolerate dirty oil well and if people let them get just a little dirty they would wear out at about twice the rate of normal so just keep an eye on those.

Originally Posted By: 08sciontc
Thanks for all the replies guys, ended up going with PYB 5W-30 and a wix oil filter, the Oriley's auto in my area had it on sale so went with it. Hope it works out, with it being my first time using a pennzoil product.

Excellent combo, I used this exact same combo when I went to Florida in the camper a coupe years ago, and when I went to South Carolina in may. It pured like a kitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back