HYUNDAI 95000 MILES AND TRANSMISSION FLUID change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no transmission problems and have been doing fluid changes every 20,oo miles after the first 60,000. The fluid change was just simple drain and fill. I have been using Hyundai SPIII fluid but I am considering Max life ATF or Castrol Import ATF fluid both recommended as substitutes for Hyundai SPIII transmission fluid. My warranty will be up soon not an issue. Which would be better Max life ATF or Castrol Import ATF or the more expensive Hyundai SPIII.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
If it's not broke don't fix it. I'd stick with what your doing

I 2nd DieselTech's statement. You have a superior trans fluid in there, no point in going to a cheaper trans fluid.

spIII is a semi synthetic

castrol import is a semi synthetic

maxlife is a full synthetic

all three of the above fluids have the correct amount of friction modifiers required to make the hyundai auto shift properly.

the hyundai sp III fluid falls into the category of "highly friction modified" fluid, but so do the other two.

other people have used maxlife in hyundai's (on this board) and been very happy with the results, and seeing how it is full synthetic it is considered an "upgrade."

I'd use the Maxlife.

Or, since your maintenance is nothing to brag about, stick with the SPIII so when it fails you can't blame the fluid.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
I'd use the Maxlife.

Or, since your maintenance is nothing to brag about, stick with the SPIII so when it fails you can't blame the fluid.

not sure I understand that...

nothing else needs done that he isnt doing.

It takes about 5min to drain the pan and replace 40% of the fluid the recommended interval is 30k for severe service. and 100k for regular.

his maintence seems reasonable and better than most people to me.

I'd stick with SP-III, seen too many dual rated fluids that werent as good as factory fill.

I do somewhat the same thing with my KIA Rio. Frankly I'd stay with SPIII, then you know for certain you're using the right fluid without question. To me its better than the, as good as, meets, is an up grade, "who says so, and by what knowledge"?

Just my opion. But then a tranny is the second most expensive item on your vehicle.

Remember that this is a Hyundai, not a fix or repair daily or a chrysler. wow, who owns us today, or a g.m. ,were in bankruptcy so cut the engineering and R&D.
Hyunday makes the second most reliable car line in the world and a very fine transmission.
Stick to stock fluid , but i would have it have professionally flushed and before the flushing add a transmission cleaner made by b-g or lubeguard. Drive it an hour with the cleaner in it then let it sit till the fluid cools down a bit. Have the fluid exchanged and you are good for another 50000 miles. That way any contaminants or sludge is removed before you fully change the fluid. If you really wanted to upgrade fluid , you could go to amsoil , but it is costly and unnecessary.

What is the cost of the fluid, and how many quarts are you removing in a single shot?

I think that your drain and fill method is better than what 99 percent of other owners will ever do. Keep it up, and that trans should last the life of the vehicle.

Can you monitor the trans oil temperature with OBD2 on that vehicle?

I would be interested in seeing how hot it is getting, and maybe invest in a good cooler the next time you change it. The cooler holds extra fluid, so that is another bonus.

My 2008 Honda and 2008 Hyundai both have Valvoline Maxlife ATF in them. Is it better than genuine Hyundai SP-III or Honda ATF Z-1? No one knows. What we do know is, there's no reports of AT failure when Maxlife was used in place of Hyundai SP-III or Honda Z-1. Given how the factory ATF looked (I know it doesn't mean much) on both of these vehicles, neither will ever see "OEM" ATF while I own them.

Joel

Last edited:
There should be no contaminants or sludge in the transmission. No chemicals additives or flushes are needed ever.
95k miles with a partial fluid drain/refill at 60k and 80k isn't anything to brag about.
Hyundai/Kia autoboxes tend to be weak and do not take 'any' abuse too well. SPIII is also an under-performing ATF. It shears excessively and wear builds up too quickly. And, a warm running tranny will cook it too quickly. NJ drivers tend to be aggressive too.

100k, IMO, is time for a pan drop and filter change, pan inspection for whatever settled on it, magnet cleaning if pan is equipped, filter disassembly....... If all looks OK, then simply button her up, fill 'er up and keep driving. I myself would shorten the drain/refill interval. But, that is for your budget to determine. Once a year or every 10k-15k is what I recommend for the simply drain/refill regimen. 30k for full fluid exchanges. Intervals can be adjusted for upgrades like coolers, filters, fluids......

Since year make model wasn't mentioned, you can research your vehicle at the Hyundai website(factory manual, TSBs... are all free for owners to view). You should also hunt down some vehicle specific forums to see what the common failures are.

I would take Maxlife over SPIII any day. But, not knowing the condition of the vehicle/tranny, the driving style, the... and the fact that everyone wants to blame the fluid for any issue, use the SPIII.

Just to throw another monkey wrench at the pile, there has been much discussion here on the suitability of ATF+4 in the Mitsubishi/Hyundai automatic transmissions. Several of those transmissions also show up in certain Chrysler vehicles which call for ATF+4 from the factory.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Just to throw another monkey wrench at the pile, there has been much discussion here on the suitability of ATF+4 in the Mitsubishi/Hyundai automatic transmissions. Several of those transmissions also show up in certain Chrysler vehicles which call for ATF+4 from the factory.

i have heard that. in fact it is rumored that spIII is atf+3

go to autozones website and set you car to a hyundai and type in atf in the search. all that comes up is atf+4. mike

Originally Posted By: wgtoys

Yep. That's been confirmed with the F4A51 (4spdAT) that's been used in everything from the Dodge Stratus, to the Hyundai Sonata, Santa Fe's, Mitsubishi Galant, Eclipse and Diamante to name a few. My 2008 2.7L AWD Santa Fe uses the F4A51. The bigger V6 uses the 5spd A5HF1 which I believe is a Hyundai/Kia only unit. I have not seen confirmation of ATF+4 used in the 5spd yet.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back