Best cheap oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use the PP with a Purolator Pure One filter for the extended changes.

Try YBP with a standard Purolator Classic filter for the 5000 mile stuff.

This is a formula I use without reservation.

Originally Posted By: conradcliff
I intend to run PP once again in my Mark VIII which has a 4.6 all aluminum block. I'm gonna take it to 10,000 miles and would like a cheap filter that can go there safely as well.

Go order PureONEs on Amazon.com. Buy over $25 worth of stuff there and get free shipping, and there's no tax for you in FL. Mail in the Purolator filter rebate of $2/filter and you've just bought PureONEs for about $2.50 each. Can't beat that value anywhere.

I used to use Casite.
Made by Baldwin/ Hastings, and under $2!
My local distributor no longer sells them though.
Said his primary clients (local quick lubes) have switched to a chinese brand called "service pro".
10 cents less, but made overseas........ :-(

Wow guys, I know it's been a while but I just wanted to thank you so much for all the great info! I think I'm going to go with the motorcraft filter, simple and cheap.

Once again, thanks for all the great info..you guys rock!!

Speaking in general, why such the desire to purchase the cheapest filter. Honestly I just dont feel like $1.99 even covers the cost of the metal, much less the media and total construction of a filter. In todays world where you pay $5 for a cup of coffee, I couldnt care less about paying $5-7 bucks for a oil filter. That is $5-7 bucks x 4 times a year which just isnt that much. I could save more money by cutting back one soda a day or turning off the water when I brush my teeth.

You can get cheaper filters but I think that Purolator/Bosh($5), Napa/Wix($5), Baldwin($5) and Mobil 1($10) are as good as any and dont cost alot.

Although filters are not the most high-tech item on your vehicle, they are very inportant. Important in that if they fall apart/fail, you will quickly have a problem. I would be willing to bet that if a real failure were to ever happen that it would be blamed on something else-(meaning you are stuck with the bill).

Why buy a cheap filter? Plenty of people pay 3-4 bucks for a Fram. Evidence the more expensive filters extend engine life? Slim to none. So why not spend half as much on a filter twice as good as a Fram?

Originally Posted By: HyperJinx
Speaking in general, why such the desire to purchase the cheapest filter. Honestly I just dont feel like $1.99 even covers the cost of the metal, much less the media and total construction of a filter. In todays world where you pay $5 for a cup of coffee, I couldnt care less about paying $5-7 bucks for a oil filter. That is $5-7 bucks x 4 times a year which just isnt that much. I could save more money by cutting back one soda a day or turning off the water when I brush my teeth.

You can get cheaper filters but I think that Purolator/Bosh($5), Napa/Wix($5), Baldwin($5) and Mobil 1($10) are as good as any and dont cost alot.

Although filters are not the most high-tech item on your vehicle, they are very inportant. Important in that if they fall apart/fail, you will quickly have a problem. I would be willing to bet that if a real failure were to ever happen that it would be blamed on something else-(meaning you are stuck with the bill).

^^ + 1 ^^ ... my thoughts too

Originally Posted By: labman
Why buy a cheap filter? Plenty of people pay 3-4 bucks for a Fram. Evidence the more expensive filters extend engine life? Slim to none. So why not spend half as much on a filter twice as good as a Fram?

That is not really what I am saying. I am saying that some filters upon closer inspection just do not seem to be put together very well. It is this same type of filter that I question their ability to do its job reliably for 3k miles. I dont really worry about its being 70-80-99% effecient at 20micron but rather will it still be working properly for the duration of my oci. All in all I feel that just about any filter is going to protect your engine well enough as long as it holds up and functions as it is intended. A cheapo filter actually holding up is exactly the concern that stands out in my mind. Given this concern, I just dont see any real reason to buy a $2 filter of questionable contruction rather than a $5-$7 filter if you are more confident in the laters construction.

I have disassembled many cheaper filters after use and never saw any problems. I must admit that only included one Fram. When I saw it only had half as much media as ST STP, Hastings, Power Flo, and maybe some others, I never bought another.

Since I haven't seen a Ecore to fit anything I have, I never cut a used one of them open. Plenty of good pictures here of those that have. I can't get too worried about the people that claim they can pull them apart.

Well no, it shows even the cheap made bys work fine. I see no evidence Purolator stuff is worse than the similar products, just no reason to buy them.

Originally Posted By: conradcliff

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Motorcraft for your application. I'd also highly recommend ProLine (Purolator clone at Pep Boys) or a Napa ProSelect.

Is the proline a perfect clone or is it lacking in like the media or construction?

In both of my applications the ProLine is lacking media and height. In one application it was .75" shorter and has 24 less pleats. In the other it was a little over a half inch shorter and again a little over 20 less pleats. That may not be true for all applications but that is how it is for mine.

Originally Posted By: labman
I have found the Micro Guard had less media than the Classic.

Probably so, but then you said that about the Classic vs the old style STP, and they measured up the same total for me. To make sure, you need some calipers.
Thickness, not just square inches of face matters too, depending on design of the media itself.
The most media I've ever seen was crammed into a Donalson with only about 38 pleats. It is a thick, depth media. This is an extreme example, but there is an element of this in the thinner blend medias, also. Wix, has more media than a same type NAPA Silver with the same approximate number of pleats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back