Old arcade games...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here into old arcade games? I picked up a late Christmas gift today from my oldest son....A Ms Pacman game in a Pacman cabinet....an old retrofit at some time in the past.
Well the info on the parts/set-up manual was dated in 1981 so that could be the date it was converted over as I have read that Ms Pacman's main board is a Pacman board with some changes in the eproms or something the other.

It runs great and the cabinet needs a little repair, such as holes on each side of the coin mechanism box where an anti-theft device was bolted on at some time, plus the usual scratches from years of use. I'll take the back panel to Lowe's so they can match me some touch up paint at some time.

My wife thinks it's ugly but.....man.....talk about nostalgia!

Anyone else into old games like this?

I really like those old stand up arcade games. I do not own one but I would love to have a old TRON game.

I miss the old games that no body can remember:

wizards of war
venture
satans hollow
gorf
robotron
scramble
zaxon

I know venture and zaxxon.

If I had an arcade game, it would be Galaga or Frogger. If there were a tabletop cabinet that had both of those games, me and the wife would buy it in a second. Those are our favorite games from that era.

If I could have a second or third one, it would be either Primal Rage or Mortal Kombat III: Ultimate Edition because that's what I grew up playing. I can kick your butt as Scorpion.

Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
Anyone here into old arcade games? I picked up a late Christmas gift today from my oldest son....A Ms Pacman game in a Pacman cabinet....an old retrofit at some time in the past.

Anyone else into old games like this?

My wife and I frequent a dive restaurant/bar that has a working Ms Pacman in it. My youngest son will play it, but I know if I got one at home they'd play it for a week or so before it got old. I never was the big arcade feeder, I'd rather watch other people put their money into the machines instead.
Still, if somebody gave me a Crazy Climber, I'd be a kid in a candy store.......

Ah....Crazy Climber! I loved that one too!

Crawling up the side and having flower pots and other stuff dropped on your head!

I have an 11 year old son that has Asperger's Disorder that loves to sit at his PS2 and he is just fascinated with this game!

I have found that I can still get parts to convert it back to Pacman fairly easy if I wanted. I can even get the eprom to cure the split screen at level 256......not that I will ever get that far!
LOL!

Not sure if there was ever an arcade version of River Raid, but if there was, I'd want to get it. Pacman also.

RR was my first game on my first computer (Atari 800XL).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not sure if there was ever an arcade version of River Raid, but if there was, I'd want to get it. Pacman also.

RR was my first game on my first computer (Atari 800XL).

I remember one Christmas as a kid that we got a "Pong" game for our TV. I think it was a Coleco branded console. I'm not sure how Santa was able to swing that because when I was growing up we didn't have too much money.

I used to be able to score 1,000,000 pts on Dig Dug - 45mins on a $.25 (don't ask how much spent to get to that proficiency...
48.gif
)

Played LOTS of Asteroids, Pac Man, Ms Pac Man, Galaga, Galaxian, Donkey Kong. I found Defenders of the Faith impossible hard. Q-bert and Food Fight were fun too.

You guys are listing where all my money went to when I was younger.
lol.gif

Zaxxon-super cool. Never spotted it outside an arcade since then.

Q-Bert-Atari version was addicting

Asteroids--99990 was the highest score IIRC

Pac-Man--once saw a guy play it for like an hour as he smoked his newport cigarette. Couldn't stand the smoke but I memorized his patterns. "Pac Man Fever" by Bucker & Garcia on American Bandstand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EDAjoLGQyQ

Space Invaders - by Uncle Vic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmbI71d59a8

I just wanted you guys to know that this thread has caused me to download MAME arcade emulator and start making plans to build my own tabletop cabinet that plays frogger and galaga (and some other stuff).

Well, here it is 24 hours later and I put together my arcade machine. Here's the specs:

Athlon (Slot A) 600Mhz, 3GB PC133@100, WD 40GB HDD, GeForce 6200 PCI, Sound Blaster Live PCI, some spare speakers, and an old keyboard that uses keyswitches (for accurate button response). I installed a stripped down copy of XP and MaLa graphical front-end for MAME (v.0.92). I downloaded some BIOSes and a few Roms and after playing around with it to get the graphics and sound perfectly tuned, it's working well. When the machine boots up it goes straight into a game selection menu.

Right now I have quite a few games on it including Galaga '88, Galaxian, Frogger, Contra, Columns, Ms. Pac-Man, Raiden, and Zaxxon.

Here's the wife playing some Galaga '88. I can't wait to get an old CRT and some real controls and mount this beast in a cabinet.

IMG00003.jpg

And, yes, for the nerds out there, that is an IBM Model M Keyboard in the foreground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back