Preparing my Saturn SC2 for the "Switch"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
When i had amy SL2 i used whatever cheap 5w30 at 3K OCI, and a Supertech 3614 filter. Even after replacing the valve cover gasket, it still used up about 1qt in 1K miles. I don't see a point using Mobil one or K&N filter.

That's because you had an oil consumption problem, most likely bad piston rings. I don't have that issue, so there is a point in my instance.

I haven't used M1 0-30 but I have been using various 30 wt. M1 oils for 32 years now at 10,000 mile OCIs and have had very clean engines with never a failure. Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I haven't used M1 0-30 but I have been using various 30 wt. M1 oils for 32 years now at 10,000 mile OCIs and have had very clean engines with never a failure. Enjoy.

I recently switched my ATF over to Mobil 1, and I noticed some seriously improved shifting, which led me to try Mobil 1 motor oil. Apparently, it's a popular oil, and it's good stuff, so I'm pretty sure I've made a good choice.

I have used M1 ATF ever since they came out with it, maybe 20 years, and have never had a tranny failure or for that matter PS pump failure either.

Originally Posted By: dmcnelly
Alright, my '02 Saturn SC2 is about 300 miles away from oil change time, and I've picked up some supplies:

6 qts. Mobil 1 0W-30
K&N Oil Filter

I'm reading "OH IT'S TOO THIN FOR A DAILY DRIVER" all over the internet, but yet, here, folks seem to love it.

So I ask you, BITOG members, is 0W-30 too thin for a daily driver?

And second, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on K&N oil filters other than "It's better than Fram", which isn't saying much.

What's the BITOG take on K&N filters?

dmcnelly,

After getting my Implala SS's oil changed I went to my local auto parts store and noticed on the back of the bottle that it had both GM approval codes (6094, 4718) so like the others said it must be fine to use in your engine that specifies 5W-30 like my gm V-8 engine.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Durango

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
I use 0w30 and 0w40 oils in all my engines that are out of warranty, and maybe even a couple that are still under warranty and call for 5w30. Whoever said it was too thin doesn't understand oil.

Are you in a Northern climate? If so, I think the 0w oils are your best option for all season use.

I'm in Michigan, so yeah, it's cold.

I forgot to ask, with a synthetic oil (Mobil 1 0W-30 in my case), what change interval would you recommend using? 5,000 Miles? 7,500 Miles?

Depending on your driving style, it should be able to go 7,500 without a problem.

+1 M1 0w30 will go 5,000-7,500 no problem. I'm conservative and fighting my old school 3/3000 tendencies, so I tend to swap out my oil in the 4,000-6,000 range.

Oh, I'm over that part, but I usually dump the M1 5w30 in the wife's car due to all the stop and go traffic the car is in...

Two days in, and I'm already noticing improved cold starts (don't have to hold down the key to get it to catch like I did with GTX on really cold days), and my gas mileage is up about 4.5 MPGs.

Consider me impressed.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Good overpriced filter.

0W-30 is fine for daily driver.

WATCH your oil level!

Bill

+1. The oil should be fine, keep an eye on the oil level.

Wow - that's about what, 12-15% MPG increase...?

If so, I need to change my Satty over also!!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Wow - that's about what, 12-15% MPG increase...?

If so, I need to change my Satty over also!!

Closer to 20% for me. I went from 25.7 up to 30.2.

When i had amy SL2 i used whatever cheap 5w30 at 3K OCI, and a Supertech 3614 filter. Even after replacing the valve cover gasket, it still used up about 1qt in 1K miles. I don't see a point using Mobil one or K&N filter.

That's because you had an oil consumption problem, most likely bad piston rings. I don't have that issue, so there is a point in my instance.

The newer Saturns didn't. I had a 96' SL2. It burned a bit of oil, maybe one quart every 3000 miles which I didn't consider excessive.

If you're at Saturn fans, check out "Bill Murray's" thread where he claimed that using Mobil1 0W-40 and Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 dramatically cut down his consumption...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

The newer Saturns didn't. I had a 96' SL2. It burned a bit of oil, maybe one quart every 3000 miles which I didn't consider excessive.

If you're at Saturn fans, check out "Bill Murray's" thread where he claimed that using Mobil1 0W-40 and Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 dramatically cut down his consumption...

The 1.9l I4 Saturn engine is known for burning oil, regardless of vintage.

Some worse than others, and I agree, 1qt. every 3,000 miles isn't bad at all.

When I got my SC2, that was about the level of consumption I was at. Did an MMO soak the first oil change, and the consumption was so minimal that I'd consider it non-existant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back