2010 BMW 750 Oil Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1999nick
From what I have read, the fact that the engine has direct injection has more to do with all of that mess around the valves than what kind of oil it is using.

The mess comes largely from oil vapors recirculated into the intake through the PCV.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Given the BMW ownership, paying for additional service should not break the bank in the slightest.

recommendation? Pay the dealer and do an oil change every 5000 miles there. Get them to record the service in the key fob, manual, etc.

THis way, if anything ever does go awry, you have more than enough service, and if it just runs great and you go to sell it someday, original records and extra service will make it worth a premium.

Its not leased, is it?

JHZR2 no it's not leased. That is the plan - the dealer will do all oil changes under warranty, after that I have a very good BMW master tech near me that does my 5er maintenance. The reason I'm asking about oil is I'm not a big fan of the BMW 5w30 and I want them to use my own oil.

I use M1 0W-40 in my newer Bimmers and I change it every 7,500 miles. The UOAs indicate that 1/2 the factory OCI is more than adequate. I'd advise running the oil out to that distance and see what the UOAs results are.

waste of money really to change a oil approved for 25K miles early because the fear of ruining a engine when they specifically approve and market specs and oil for this purpose. why not go buy a ford or a chevy and change it every 1K miles would be my sugg.

Originally Posted By: ARH_0700

JHZR2 no it's not leased. That is the plan - the dealer will do all oil changes under warranty, after that I have a very good BMW master tech near me that does my 5er maintenance. The reason I'm asking about oil is I'm not a big fan of the BMW 5w30 and I want them to use my own oil.

you need to start with a good conversation with a service rep that will be your advocate and see things through. You need to work out if providing a BMW-spec oil (doubt they will accept anything else while on the warranty hook), will still get you the BMW stamp of service necessary for warranty. The "free" services may insist on dealer oil.

At 5k, I'm not sure you'll need anything beyond the BMW oil.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
That being said...I would suggest you look into

Mobil 1 Delvac 5W-40 as well...

It's not an approved oil. AFAIK, only Mobil1 0w-40 and GC 0w-30 are the approved oils commonly available at retailers.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
AFAIK, only Mobil1 0w-40 and GC 0w-30 are the approved oils commonly available at retailers.

I think Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 also qualifies. NAPA carries it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

you need to start with a good conversation with a service rep that will be your advocate and see things through. You need to work out if providing a BMW-spec oil (doubt they will accept anything else while on the warranty hook), will still get you the BMW stamp of service necessary for warranty. The "free" services may insist on dealer oil.

At 5k, I'm not sure you'll need anything beyond the BMW oil.

My service advisor doesn't mind that I supply my own M1 0W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back