opening Pandora's Box... extended German Castrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like everyone's opinion.
I've got a '99 Mustang GT that I used German Castrol in the last oil change.
I've put 12,000 miles on this oil. I've had to add a couple quarts to make-up what has been lost.

What do you guys think?

Have I overextended the oil change? Should I flip out and change it today?

I wasn't too worried about it since the GC looks like conventional oil does with 5000 miles on it in this car. It seems to have stayed cleaner 2 times as long as conventional oil.

Last edited:
If I were going to run it as long as you did, I would have pulled a sample at 5K just to see what it looked like. I run nothing past 10K without sampling first.

A couple makeup quarts is, what, about 40% of the oil capacity? I think you're OK for now but I'd change it anyway.

The neptune spacebears M1 analysis a few years ago showed that even a little bit of top off oil will improve additives to keep the oil going along fine.

The only way to know for sure is do a UOA and see what is really going on. You might want to pull one now, do a OCI, then see if you can't take your OCI even further next time.

Originally Posted By: j_mac

I wasn't too worried about it since the GC looks like conventional oil does with 5000 miles on it in this car. It seems to have stayed cleaner 2 times as long as conventional oil.

I'm sure you know by now that you really can't tell much by just looking at the oil. I have seen reports of oil that still looked good, but upon analysis it was spent. If this was my rig, I'd change the oil. GC is a good oil, but I don't think it was designed for extended drains, at least it's not advertised as such.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
I'm sure you know by now that you really can't tell much by just looking at the oil.

Exactly. Color has nothing to do with anything.

Quote:
GC is a good oil, but I don't think it was designed for extended drains, at least it's not advertised as such.

It carries Mercedes and BMW LL specs, so that makes it a long life oil, IMO. BMW allows intervals as high as 20k miles on LL oil, depending on driving conditions. With that said, I too am hesitant to run it past 10k miles.

In that case I would guess that 12k miles is a stretch but not impossible. Engines have certainly survived worse.

Just another opinion...

I'd change it "before too long," but wouldn't lose any sleep in the meantime.

IMO, color does have some bearing on an oil's health. The more blow-by engine produces, the sooner soot and combustion by-products will darken and acidify the oil. Oil that is still reasonably clean after 12K is less likely to be running low on TBN.

I believe GC's TBN starts at around 10. It should be fine.
Any chance you'll run a UOA?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back