have to restart pc to get internet working

Status
Not open for further replies.
About two months ago I upgraded the OS on my laptop from Vista Ultimate to a clean install (wiped hard drive) W7 Pro 64 bit. After the update, almost everything works, but the wireless adapter (Atheros) would work for a day and then I would lose connectivity. The bars on the tool bar still show a strong signal and that I am connected. But neither Internet Explorer or Firefox would work. Tried updating the driver and no go. I would restart the comp and it would work again. It is almost like clock work. After ~24 hours +/- a few, it would stop. I've been frustrated for a while but since W7 reboots quicker than Vista, I just dealt with it. But it is getting really annoying.

Any clue to what it could be? Computer is an Acer laptop with a Core2Duo running 2.5 GB of RAM.

I went to the devices in control panel and looked up the wireless adapter and went into the driver to check for updates and according to Windows I have the latest one. I also tried installing the Vista 64 bit driver and it wasn't compatible.

Only things that come to mind is google the problem and see if anybody found a solution. You know the super smart computer people. And email the manufacture both laptop, and wifi card.

My fingerprint reader doesn't work right in windows 7 x64 so I just stop using it. Eventually the software will work with this new OS.

try downloading an older driver the newest one doesnt work on my gateway notebook could be a problem with the newest driver

Last edited:
Rand's suggestion may very well be the reality. But, verify that power savings isn't allowed to shut off the device in one of the tabs for the device settings.

Also, be sure that CAM, Constantly Awake Mode, if listed, is set to on (or equivalent logic). If there, this would be found in the list of device settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back