silver.............. titanium............. silicon...............4
boron...............154
sodium................4
potassium........... molybdenum..........131
phosphorus.........1418
zinc...............1657
calcium............3987
barium.............. magnesium............69
antimony............ vanadium............. fuel% vol............ t/s% vol............0.5
water% vol......... vis cs 100`c.......13.1

oil and filter was changed at sample time 12/21/09
switched to deere plus 50 10w-30 ci-4.
this sample is consistent with other samples of this engine and oil, the oil sheared, but still within 40 wt. specs.
the only sub-par samples on this engine was with rts 5w-40,(sheared terribly 11.4, 10.9) one was ci-4 plus, and the other was cj-4. but to the defense of rts i did have an injector o-ring leak on the cj-4 that has since been repaired.
the deere plus 50 oil is about $9 a gallon cheaper than rts, so its a no-brainer $$ wise, and it looks like 7500 mi. is no problem either. switched to plus 50 10w-30 for winter (same reason for rts previous winters) and i'll run a uoa next oc and maybe just stay with 10w-30 year around if it looks good

Nothing to complain about at all; nice UOA.

I'd be very interested to see a UOA on the 10w-30 product, if it's in your future plans. I'm a big fan of the lighter grades; I've used them with great success.

Specifically, I have seen small amounts of evidence that show the HEUI (at least in a stock system) simply prefers a lighter grade. While it might shear down at 15w-40 fairly quickly, it just doesn't happen near as much with a 10w-30. It's almost as though the HEUI simply operates best with a 30 grade, and if you don't put it in, it will make its own!

That all aside, you've done well with the JD 15w-40; nothing to be concerned about in your UOA. If that type wear is "normal" for your ride, it will last you a long, long time!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I'd be very interested to see a UOA on the 10w-30 product, if it's in your future plans. I'm a big fan of the lighter grades; I've used them with great success.

Specifically, I have seen small amounts of evidence that show the HEUI (at least in a stock system) simply prefers a lighter grade. While it might shear down at 15w-40 fairly quickly, it just doesn't happen near as much with a 10w-30. It's almost as though the HEUI simply operates best with a 30 grade, and if you don't put it in, it will make its own!

That all aside, you've done will with the JD 15w-40; nothing to be concerned about in your UOA. If that type wear is "normal" for your ride, it will last you a long, long time!

yes i am quite happy with the results, and i think i will pull a uoa at 5000 mi. for two reasons, one being its winter here in nothern ohio and i generally short trip this time of the year, and two, i haven't run this grade in this truck so i'm curious as to how it will hold up.
my thinking is i can probably continue the 10w-30 year around, no more rts for me in the winter time, cold starts are much improved, although the coldest we've had was around 10`f

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

That all aside, you've done will with the JD 15w-40; nothing to be concerned about in your UOA. If that type wear is "normal" for your ride, it will last you a long, long time!

yes i am quite happy with the results, and i think i will pull a uoa at 5000 mi. for two reasons, one being its winter here in nothern ohio and i generally short trip this time of the year, and two, i haven't run this grade in this truck so i'm curious as to how it will hold up.
my thinking is i can probably continue the 10w-30 year around, no more rts for me in the winter time, cold starts are much improved, although the coldest we've had was around 10`f

i came across the specs for the plus 50 10w-30;
viscosity @100`c 11.7
viscosity @ 40`c 80.1
vis index 138
pour point -33
flash point 218
tbn 13.5
sulfated ash 1.60
hths@150`c 3.4

this is ci-4 plus specs, just thought i would pass them along

specs are quoted from deere oil guide, i haven't run a voa, and i plan to run a uoa at 5000 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back