When did MMO replace Auto RX as "The Bomb"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
LOL!!
lol.gif
Are you suggesting Frank would pass on an opportunity to sell his product in stores? Nobody has asked him. That is a fact. It would increase his sales 1000 times. No stores/major MFGs want his product.

I don't think that's the case, ..sorta... The product is not that old. There's also sensible price points that are required for OTC items. I doubt that with the required ROI for the fundamental costs of the esters and the processing that it would ever make it in retail chain type sales.

I'm sure a bunch of it has to do with capital. If he had a million dollars he could merely rent space on the shelf anywhere he wanted by putting it there on consignment. Effectively fronting the product and getting all revenue through reordering. That would require some form of national advertising ..otherwise who would have a reason to buy it?

Don't assume that there aren't substantial challenges to bringing a product to market beyond it being "functional". You'll broker almost all of your product away to the marketers. Those who are professionals at selling a product. You'll sit there and watch the marketer take 90% of your profits and making more than you do.

Why do you think the Prolong/Duralube/ZMax sold so well? It wasn't due to real performance of the products. It was how they marketed them. The production company probably made the most out of everyone, including the fundamental producer and bottler/packager.

Plenty of viable product never see the light of day due to under capitalization. Many fail due to it too.

Nope. All Frank needs is about 10 years more time. He could then have the patience to just sit and wait and let growth occur as it occurs.

All my engines are aluminium, works fine. As for MMO, a 30wt oil with some added lighter fluid (Varsol) and a dash wintergreen essence isn't what I want in my engines and it should be so cheap they should give it away. Pity I can't copy Terry Dysons comments on MMO here, but needless to say he doesn't mince his words!

I have seen it work with ticking lifters and for flushes of about 500 miles. It cleaned the [censored] out of several engines I own and several of my friends. Even if it does not work, I have never heard or seen a credible story of it causing any harm. I know when I pop it in my gas, I get slightly better mileage. I know in my wife's Pontiac it fixed a lifter tick.

As with any product, your mileage may vary. However I am a believer that there are inexpensive products and then there are cheap ones. To me MMO is an inexpensive product with a long history of satisfied customers.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I have seen it work with ticking lifters and for flushes of about 500 miles. It cleaned the [censored] out of several engines I own and several of my friends. Even if it does not work, I have never heard or seen a credible story of it causing any harm. I know when I pop it in my gas, I get slightly better mileage. I know in my wife's Pontiac it fixed a lifter tick.

As with any product, your mileage may vary. However I am a believer that there are inexpensive products and then there are cheap ones. To me MMO is an inexpensive product with a long history of satisfied customers.

+1 It works, hasn't damaged an engine, has multiple uses, and has been gaining steam on this board. That seems to upset a handful of people for some odd reason. Most of the people who find it upsetting never used it, or can't even get it where they live. I'll continue to use it until I find something better, and trust me I've tried other products and haven't found anythng better yet IMO.

People tried ARX and liked it.
I've used it in two 130K+ engines, and it seemed to produce tangible results.
Later, people tried MMO and liked it.
I have not used it in either fuel or oil, but I am temped to try it based upon what I have read on this site.
ARX is not expensive, given that you don't need to run the full treatment all that often, and the cost of the maintenace dose, should you choose to use one, is not going to break the bank either.
There is little doubt that you get what you pay for in both products.
ARX is no doubt more expensive to make than MMO, and is produced in a small fraction of the volume of MMO, plus it has a fairly quaint distribution system, adding to the delivered cost.
If ARX were made and sold in Wally volumes, its retail cost would be lower.
MMO is probably fairly cheap to make, and its retail cost has been forced down to Wally levels.
No doubt both products work, based upon what I have read here.
Using one does not preclude trying the other.

I could never get the results of ARX like the pics on the web site. I have used it 3 times and did see results but nothing like I was expecting.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Originally Posted By: Cmarti
Kinda funny, but last year every post was Auto Rx, now MMO
21.gif

Because of the price.

Exactly, you can buy two gallons of MMO for what one small bottle of Auto Rx costs. For some I imagine its a lot like Amsoil, if it were easier to get and a little cheaper more people would use it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jason8691
Exactly, you can buy two gallons of MMO for what one small bottle of Auto Rx costs. For some I imagine its a lot like Amsoil, if it were easier to get and a little cheaper more people would use it.

It's cheeper simply because unlike esters (which costs magnitudes more to that of MMO)costs more and it's reflective even on the retailer's pricing.

Last edited:
In this case cheaper is better though, if it performs the same function for a fraction of the cost why go anywhere else?

Originally Posted By: sprintman
It doesn't.

May I ask if you've used MMO? I've used both products and believe they each shine in certain areas.

Quote:
Ah, you must not have noticed what was happening behind the scenes. People got banned, over cash and product testimony, others were paid for their testimony, I'll leave it at that.

SO you have the emails and data to back that up? If there was any "hanky-pankey" I would sure like to know about it.

The only two products I have really seen clean up carbon from ringpacks and soften sludge (first hand) were LC20 and Auto-RX. I did see a slight increase in fuel mileage with a maintenance dose of ARX, as I belive it acts as a slight friction reducer in engines. I did a test on some former vehicles, which had a '87 Chevy smallblock and a '92 chevy smallblock and ARX did increse compression by an average of 20 psi over the compression before the ARX application.

I have used the MMO as an oil additive and a fuel additive in current vehicles, but I saw no increase in engine cleanliness or mileage increases. Now it could be my engines were already clean and MMO wasn't needed, since I used a bio-synthetic oil. I do think the MMO can be used as a fuel stabilizer and fuel system cleaner, since most of its components are primarily the type of HC solvents one observes in fuel system cleaners.

I suspect that many people who used ARX may have already had a clean engine or were trying to fix a problem that couldn't be fixed with any OTC compound.

It would also be interesting to see if anyone can document a before and after situation for MMO (or Rislone, or XYZ, or...)with a sludged engine using compression checks, oil pan pictures, and insoluble data from UOA reports, etc.

The way I see it, too many people are trying to find a panacea for some real or perceived problem and when the product doesn't provide the majical anti-dote, then they trash it.

Quote:

Ah, you must not have noticed what was happening behind the scenes. People got banned, over cash and product testimony, others were paid for their testimony, I'll leave it at that.

Almost libelous stuff. You better come up with some proof for these statements.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I have used the MMO as an oil additive and a fuel additive in current vehicles, but I saw no increase in engine cleanliness or mileage increases. Now it could be my engines were already clean and MMO wasn't needed, since I used a bio-synthetic oil. I do think the MMO can be used as a fuel stabilizer and fuel system cleaner, since most of its components are primarily the type of HC solvents one observes in fuel system cleaners.

I have a similar case. I used MMO then A-Rx and saw no increase in cleanliness or mpgs. I also had a clean engine from MMO use. My hope was to stop a leak, it didn't work, it was a gamble I took going into it. I won't trash A-Rx because there are people here who have used it and like it.

Having used both I feel I can honestly say MMO gives more bang for the buck. A-Rx briefly slowed down a leak, but I was to quick to pull the trigger and report. I bought a total of 8 bottles, used 4 bottles in two vehicles with little or no long term gains to report. My thinking is these engines were clean from MMO, including ring packs. Perhaps it will work better on a different vehicle some time in the future. I plan at some point replacing the 93 Aerostar with something used, and I might give A-Rx a try on that replacement vehicle.

A-RX doesn't have the zealots posting here like it used to. Almost any time any oil additive was mentioned there would be a post stating not to use it and use A-RX only. The same thing happened with Amsoil for awhile but both have subsided. Both are polarizing (for some) products due to their cost and marketing strategy.

It's great that this board can now discuss most additives or oil with a decent amount of banter instead of hovering zealousness.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
A-RX doesn't have the zealots posting here like it used to. Almost any time any oil additive was mentioned there would be a post stating not to use it and use A-RX only. The same thing happened with Amsoil for awhile but both have subsided. Both are polarizing (for some) products due to their cost and marketing strategy.

It's great that this board can now discuss most additives or oil with a decent amount of banter instead of hovering zealousness.

I agree, it got very old. I gave up even looking at the oil additive section as that was all I saw.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

It has gotten a lot better but there are still a handful of guys that will attack because their favorite oil or additive has some competition. I'm glad to see more people trying things, commenting and not being as afraid of getting hammered for their opinions. There are a handful of products I'm experimenting with as a result of reading about them here and doing my homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back