Recommend me a good firewall for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an old XP with SP2 that's going to be connected to the company's network and am looking for a good free firewall software. I tried installing ZoneAlarm 6.5 and even version 7 but no go. There seems to be a few files ZoneAlarm is looking for in XP but aren't there. Recommendations anyone?

does your company's network have a firewall at its gateway to the internet? If so, you are protected from most problems. also, for anyone at home, just plug in a firewall, ANY FIREWALL, between your ISP's modem and your computer.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
does your company's network have a firewall at its gateway to the internet? If so, you are protected from most problems. also, for anyone at home, just plug in a firewall, ANY FIREWALL, between your ISP's modem and your computer.

+1 on the hardware firewall, why bog your computer down with unneeded software?

Originally Posted By: Not the Autorx Frank
Originally Posted By: tomcat27

+1 on the hardware firewall, why bog your computer down with unneeded software?

Bingo.

Well I'm looking at this Comodo firewall as it protects incoming and out going. Do hardware firewall do the same? If so I guess you're right why use a software firewall if you have a hardware firewall protecting both incoming and outgoing and does it better.

Good advice above about a hardware firewall.

Also,for general protection we use Microsoft Security Essentials that "that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software."

Link to Microsoft Security Essentials

I too @ one time used AVG and others but have been running Microsoft Security Essentials now for quite a while without issue.

Only changes I made after installation was under Settings. Changed the when to daily, time to when I may have the computer on, and removed the check mark from "Start the scheduled scan only when my computer is on but not is use." By removing the check mark, it will scan in the background even if I am using the computer. It updates before doing the scan.

It is free for home use or home businesses use.

We like it.

I've added MS Security Essentials into the list of free AV programs that I routinely install. AVG, Avast, and Antivir are also excellent. Regardless of which AV program you use, a competitor scan every now and then is good. Eset online scanner is one that I usually use.

Comodo is the way to go. Problem with a hardware firewall is you don't know what is going on inside your PC.

Well, I'm already running Avira free antivirus, and Windows XP built-in firewall (which BTW is not well regarded by many as effective). I'm paranoid about security and I've read in many a computer forum that it's best to run both a hardware and a software firewall.

I'll give Comodo a try soon.

Well I use to run Zone Alarm on both the desktop and this laptop but both are behind a hardware firewall now and it seemed with every update, Zone Alarm got more bloated. Zone Alarm also slowed boot times way down more than it used too.

I have read that the built in Windows firewall is just as good as ZA when blocking inbound requests but when blocking outbound requests, Windows firewall doesn't do this.

I do know that since I have uninstalled ZA on both machines, performance on both has improved greatly and I have had zero problems. But then again, I don't surf all over the web. I visit just a few sites on a regular basis and Avast takes care of the anti-virus department.

I highly recommend a firewall for Windows XP, I have used Sygate for a long time, and have tried several others like zone alarm, comodo with some time behind the zone, little behind comodo. I pick sygate way above the others, you can also see a review at c-net.

Windows xp firewall sux hind-tit or it used to, maybe they have upgraded the firewall with the release of vista, and windows 7 I doubt it.... The firewall leaves you open to attack from malware, and every time you boot up all the programs you have installed will phone home or report any info, tracking etc they feel like with windows xp based firewall. Sure some users are computer literate enough to configure the programs that give the option..some give the option yet still report your use at boot up, connect to internet, and where you travel, pretty much every program you install on your computer has the phone home feature !!

I'm sure I will have the flames rolling down from on high, yet I have spent a considerable amount of time behind xp based systems, and as far as security goes they are lacking to say the least..yet leap and bound beyond the blue screen of death 98 based systems.

google firewall test or online firewall test, run the test see what you think.. hardware is nice, yet it is just that hardware which can't be upgraded unless with a firmware flash, a software firewall is the best free option, if your anal a software version with a hardware firewall.

Do you have a router that Is Capable of running ...

Tomato,DD-WRT ?

Hardware firewall best route to take ... u can build based on old computer ...

You can pick up one on ebay ..sometimes dirt cheap tooo ! preferably something Linux based they have gui so it not that scary

What's wrong with windows firewall? It's "free", super light, is installed already and easy to configure remotely.

In corporate use there is VERY few FREE option available. I know only Comodo which is horrible memory and resource hog. Some years ago Online Armour Free was also free for corporate use too, don't know if it is now.

Remember free personal use is not free corporate use.

In home use i have Kerio 2.1.5 simply the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back