BF GOODRICH or KUMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy new tires. Choices I've narrowed to are BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail or Kumho Road Venture APT-KL 51. Both have pretty similar ratings on TireRack. Any Suggestions or comments?

Last edited:
Kumho are a good value...I currently have 4 on my RX....so far 20K miles and no issues..

I also had a spped rated set on a Boxter I had...these also performed well

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Which are made in the USA?

probably neither
The Goodrich name is owned by michelin made in several plants world wide.Some are made here. go to a store that carries your model and size and look at the sidewall.
Kumho tires are made in Korea

I'd lean towards the Michelin owned BF Goodrich tires.

Dad had a set of the Long Trails on his last Silverado, no complaints... wore well, good traction.

I really like the BFG Advantage TA's I bought. Made in the USA. Not an American company, however. Kumho certainly gets good reviews as well, and had I went through tirerack I would have seriously considered them, but probably still gotten the BFG's. Lots of reports of the Kumho KR series wearing out ~30,000 miles despite having a high treadwear rating. Advantage has only been on the shelves since February, so no real reviews on longevity.

Kumho was going to open a plant here, somewhere in the south. I'm not sure if the economy tanked that plan, or if it's still in the works.

Originally Posted By: backyard_mechani
I have used both Goodrich and Kumho tires .. they both performed very well ... no problems.

+1 one the accord

I would recommend the BF Goodrich, I have never had a problem with any tire made by them and when my dads truck needs new tires he is getting the BF Goodrich Radial Long Trails

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Which are made in the USA?

doesn't matter if you're only concerned about getting the better tire - some foreign made tires perform great also, and some US made ones suck.

I have General Altimax HP on wife's Elantra - GREAT tire; will DEFINITELY get them till they're available.

I have Kumho Solus KH16 (VERY HIGHLY RATED on Tirerack in its class, #2 or #3 I think) on the Tbird - They are also GREAT on my car, although not as good as the Altimax in rain.

past tires:
I used to Have Yokohama AVS Decibel on my Tbird-great for performance - not so good on wear and durability.
Before that Michelin Symmetry - I thought they were good until i tried others; now i think they sucked.
Elantra had the old Michelin MXV4+ (factory) - they sucked big time in EVERY way.

Just buying US made OR just buying Foreign made is NOT a good way to decide on tires, if you're only concerned about getting good tires.
If you want to buy US made only to support the economy, I fully agree buying US made.
-May not always get you the best tire though - which I think the OP is shooting for...

Also it's imp. to keep in mind that ALL brands have good and bad models.

So, in this case: I can only say that MY experience with Kumho KH16 has been great so far, and it's VERY affordable, and is a quality all season tire for regular driving. I have no exp. with BFG.

Last edited:
Well, well. I decided on the BF Goodrich and now I've learned that the Radial Long Trails have been discontinued in 235/70/16's. To get BF goodrich, I'll need to get Long Trail T/A's, anybody running these. They are a little different from the Radial Long Trails.

Last edited:
no, the regularmlong trail t/a's were discontinued and now they are a "TOURING" long trail T/A.....i just put some on the durango and the tread is not as "truck" looking/aggressive--new ones have more siping and channels. i like them better than the old as i think they are quieter. now they also have a mileage warranty when before i think they were just a UTQ--grade

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/bf_goodrich/size/viewProductDetail.do?pc=38798

Last edited:
Have no experience with the Long Trails, but I am liking my Traction T/A's.

The links I posted was for the newer tire. And, your size is made in the USA, likely Greenville.

i think khumos are good too. the whole made in the USA IMO is kinda blown outa proportion for some products. for example, my foreign honda was built in ohio as was the japanese version---it was made in USA and shipped to japan (5th generation jdm accord) also goodyear has move some operations over seas they closed the goodyear plant in my town (was kelly springfield then goodyear, then shut down) so I wouldn't be buying goodyears base on "made in USA" or being good for the economy.

While I'm far from a protectionist in my thinking/ideology, all things being equal (which they seldom are) or close, I'd take the product made in the USA first. And, the question of origin was asked by a poster earlier in this thread, and the OP posted his tire size, I thought I'd answer it. Also, since the OP lives in the upstate of SC where many Michelin and BFG's are made, I thought that might be interesting info for him.

Of my last two tire purchases, the BFG Traction T/A's and the General HP's, according to TR, the BFG's are made in Canada, and the HP's in France. And my reasons for buying, was both were good values first and foremost.

The Kumho's would appear to be less expensive than the BFG's. While I have no experience with the Kumho's, I do with two BFG products, including Rugged Trails.

In any case, no need for anyone to get their panties in a wad over the country of origin information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back