2004 Odyssey oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2004 Honda Odyssey with 16,500 miles on it. I just turned 19,000 miles and I am getting ready for an oil change. Any suggestions for this vehicle. It has the 3.5L V6.

My dads Honda powered Vue seems to like Pennzoil or Castrol 5w-20 over Mobil 5000.

I'd pick Pennzoil, Castrol, Havoline or Exxon dino for it and enjoy the new ride!
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I have an '00 Odyssey with 3.5L V6 that I bought new. I think that your '04 has a bit more rated power, but is basically the same as mine. I have used M1 5W-30 & M1 5W-30 EP for the past 20K miles, with 6 mo OCI recently. It does very well on this oil. I now have 75K miles. Previous to this, I used conventional Valvoline 5W-30 with OCI every 3 months / 3750 miles, and it did fine on that oil too, although when I switched to M1 I observed some cleaning action that surprised me.

Best Wishes as you motor along!

02 EX, 71K miles since new. Castrol GTX 5W20 to 60K miles, 5W30 M1 since 60K (after the warranty ran out). 3K OCIs on GTX and 6K to 7.5K on the M1. NAPA Gold filters.

Bigger concern is the tranny. Doing 15K mile flushes using the Honda OEM ATF; fingers crossed, candles lit.

'02 EX with 44k. I go back and forth between Motorcraft 5w-20 and Mobil 1 5w-20, depending on what's available and at what price. I follow 4k OCI. For oil filter, I've been using PureOne filters but I have started using NAPA Silver filters as of late, mostly a pricing/availablility decision. Both are good filters. The engine looks really clean internally and it does not consume any oil.

Have been running Pennzoil 5W-20 in our 02 Accord V6, now at 63 K miles. UOAs are excellent (also use LC an a little 132). In the northern NE climate, cold winters and moderate summers, you should be fine with any of the good 5W-20s, dino or synthetic. We were just up in western Mass. over the weekend, got down to 2 degrees F.

I use the Honda OEM PCX-004 oil filter, made in Japan by Toyo Roki, specced for the S2000. Believed to be a better filter than the other Honda OEMs.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I decided to go with Mobil 1 EP 5-30. I am using this oil in my 05 Elantra GT with good results. I am starting out using the walmart oil filter and will have an analysis done in 5000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back