Oil for Yamaha 350 Big Bear 4x4 ATV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have always been told, my 4 wheeler takes some kind of special oil so I have always bought the Yama-Lube from the dealer which is expensive as [censored] & supposedly has some special additive or something in it. Is there anything else I can use that may be a little cheaper?

It is not an auto transmission if that matters!

That, I am not sure of...I will have to see if I can find out! I might still have a bottle of the high $$$ stuff at the house.

That's entirely untrue as far as I know. I have 8 atvs and don't run Yamalube in any of them and three of them are Yamahas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your Big Bear has a CVT auto transmission, which means the engine oil is only used by the engine and not in the transmission and wet clutch. Which means that you can run lots of different oils, anyone you like really. I'd say that an oil like Rotella T 15w40 would work great.

If I'm wrong and you're shifting gears and have a semiauto clutch, well, I'd still recommend Rotella T 15w40, just change it more often when you ride allot, maybe every 20 hours.

Hope this helps and good to see another local guy on the forum.

CVT is what the Grizzlies have; continuously variable transmission.

I've been running Amsoil 10W-40 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil in a '99 Grizzly for years and it's been doing great. Started out with Yamalube, but realized that at the local motorcycle shops Amsoil was selling for about $7/qt, almost the same as Yamalube!

I never got back to this one due to a few problems, but, with my Big Bear having a regular manual shift type tranny, can another oil be used?

Assuming it's an air cooled 350cc w/ a semi-automatic (no clutch) 4 or 5spd gear shift, I'd use R-T 15w40 like ccdhowell suggests above, or Rotella-T 5w40. If it's liquid cooled I'd use a HDEO in the 30wt range or the 5w40.

Joel

I run Rotella 5W40 Synthetic in everything I own air cooled, a couple of those toys are Yamaha ATV's. I have had great luck and smooth shifting. It has even worked well in my Goldwing.

Will the Rotella 5w40 synthetic help on cold starts better when the temps are around say 10F? or would a 10W30 be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back