Calculator that can store formulas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to get a hand held calculator that can store scientific formulas. Then when needed it will just prompt you for the values of all the variables in the formula and give you the result.
Would this feature be available in general purpose scientific calculators ? or would I need to get one of those fancy $100 ones ?
Any suggestions I can start looking at ?
Thanks.

I had a TI-81 that did this years ago. That model is discontinued now, but back then (1993-1994) it was under $100. You can find them on Ebay for under $30 if you look.

Ive always just programmed my TI-82. Id learn how to get a TI calculator to prompt you - programming is easy.

I have an 89 as well as an 82. he 89 is nice because it will do some calculus, and also can work with units. I hae not tried programming it, but I assume it is straightforward.

They must have jacked their prices up. Cheapest one they offer is $100. I'm almost positive the TI-81 only cost $60--over 15 years ago.

HP-41CX ruled. They had no marketing. Vastly easier to work with than the T1 that took over in academia. One of my last supe's said that all old college prof's had HP's ..the younger ones TI's.

The stack and RPN. Walk right through stuff.

I used to have a TI-80 that I got for pretty cheap and it worked for using formulas and such. It was kind of slow and old looking, but it did the job. I use a TI-84 Plus now and I like it a lot better. I actually have a spare TI-83 I would be willing to sell if you're interested, PM me.

HP 48 G+ can do this stuff easily.

I still have and use mine.

It's RPN - which i love using.

Made in 1993.

The Casio and to a lesser extent, TI are "throw away" devices. They aren't as sturdy as a HP and a single drop has been known to do one in. It's not unusual for an HP to be still in use 30 years later.

Also check if a graphing calculator is allowed for future tests that you are going to need to take. I understand that some do not allow graphing calculators(some professional engineering exams, etc.). Models with QWERTY keyboards, writing pads, and pen/stylus input are prohibited from college board tests. AP Statistics expects a graphing calculator, but a scientific is all that is needed for the rest.

This might fit your needs well. I think the HP Solve function is exactly what you are looking for. It allows you to write and store an equation and then solve for any variable without rewriting the equation. It offers both RPN and algebraic. Once you learn RPN you'll never want to go back.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/calculator/Scientific/1/storefronts/F2215AA%2523ABA

Ed

Depends on what you are using the calculator for. TI-82 can do a lot of formulas for real numbers.

If you are doing complex math (i.e. a+bi or c+dj) then you should get a TI-92 series, those are for the real users. The only problem is that they are very hard to use (bad user interface).

I have to throw away a few of the junks (casio and some low end HP, and my TI-82) and get a TI92 when I start doing frequency response stuff in electrical engineering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edhackett
I still use my HP 41C daily. Alas, the 32S II is history. We grabbed the last few new ones we could find a few years ago. One of them is going into my pocket when I retire.

If you would like an RPN scientific calculator and have an iPhone, you are in luck.

http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/2009/06/hp_calculators.php

Ed

Excellent! I never had cause to use 10% of what my 41 could do. I had the MATH PACK and STAT PACK and a couple of expanded memory modules. I had a coworker who was doing a statistics course for his masters and just looked at the equation ..plugged it in with the proper prompts and checked all his work for him.

There's a guy locally that fixes them. My display needs replacing.

The documentation with HP was superior to anything TI put out. Once properly oriented, programming was a snap.

I wish I had the skills to use half of the capabilities of the thing.

I think the reason that HP and Casio had troubles with the market share has been bad advertising as well as college professors wanted some sort of standardizing. Almost all of my professors in lower lever math wanted you to have a TI-83 plus. I've had my TI-92 for probably close to 10 years. Never had a problem with it.

In upper math, you don't use a calculator or numbers for that matter.

Looks like 'HP Solve' is exactly what I am looking for. and its even available in their non-graphing calcs like the HP 33 and 35.
It can store up to 10 equations and the graphing calcs can also plot a curve for all the results of that equation!

I wonder if there is a similar feature on the Casio and TI calcs, and what exactly do they refer to it as.

I wont be taking it to any exam, this is just for personal use.

btw, built in metric conversions would be great!

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I think the reason that HP and Casio had troubles with the market share has been bad advertising as well as college professors wanted some sort of standardizing. Almost all of my professors in lower lever math wanted you to have a TI-83 plus. I've had my TI-92 for probably close to 10 years. Never had a problem with it.

In upper math, you don't use a calculator or numbers for that matter.

There were no laptops back when HP was in its glory. I think they carried them on the Space Shuttle if the 256k on boards went down. When the TI came up to the near capability of the 41 series, you could buy a TI for $35-$80 ..while the 41Cx was about $400. You were back in the time of the 8088 Intel chip and the neatest portable computer was monochrome and the size of a travel suit case.

Not really. I think it was just that HP had no competition for that level of hand-held and no marketing/distribution. TI came up with both. Get so many universities on the same page ...
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back