Gotcha with new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
HP dc7900 SFF arrived and I've been looking into W7 upgrades from OEM installed Vista. Unfortunately it has Home Basic and just been informed by Ingram Micro there are NO upgrades available, full W7 product required! So do I buy Home Premium or Pro, Ultimate really not required?

If this is a home computer, what features of W7 Pro and/or Ultimate are you after?

I ask because I got my daughter a Netbook with W7 Starter on it, and even IT does a fantastic job.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Home Premium is the one you want. Pro or higher really isn't needed for a home computer.

+1

Originally Posted By: sprintman
HP dc7900 SFF arrived and I've been looking into W7 upgrades from OEM installed Vista. Unfortunately it has Home Basic and just been informed by Ingram Micro there are NO upgrades available, full W7 product required!

I have't noticed any limitations to upgrading from Vista Home Basic on Microsoft's Websites. From Microsoft.com Australia: "If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions."
From the US Site : "All editions of Windows XP and Windows Vista qualify you to upgrade. So, if you're running either on your PC today, buy a package labeled "Upgrade"."
I have seen restrictions on "Free" upgrades, for recently purchased computers that came with Vista Home Basic?

You should be able to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, however you may have to do a custom install which is really a upgrade with you having to transfer your files, and programs.. Whatever the case you Vista license gives the ability to upgrade, and not have to purchase the entire Windows 7 license etc. Look here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-considerations.aspx

One thing that Windows Pro gives you the ability to run programs in XP mode if need be. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

I have Windows 7 Pro, I purchased it from http://www.win741.com/ for $30, if your a student, or you have kids as a student check to see if you can purchase this deal, it may be the best deal you will ever get on Windows 7 !!

No AE available

No upgrade AE available for Office

Please find attached some Windows 7 upgrade information. The key points you need to remember are

Windows XP cannot be upgraded – it needs a clean install to be done.
Older versions of Windows such as 2000, ME, 98 and 95 also require a clean install and are not upgradeable.
(Clean install means all data needs to be saved, the old OS removed and the new Windows 7 OS installed and configured- unlike the version upgrade which will automatically update all your settings, files and operating system)

To utilise the version upgrades, you must have the equivalent Vista version or higher to be eligible (e.g. if you have Vista Home premium, you can’t use the W7 Ultimate upgrade, only the W7 Home premium upgrade). The allowed upgrades are
> Windows Vista Home Premium -> Windows 7 Home Premium
> Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional
> Windows Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Ultimate

You can’t use the version upgrade if you are moving from 32 to 64 bit version and vice versa – this also requires a clean install.
Don’t forget there is a FREE Windows 7 upgrade for Vista FPP & OEM licenses purchased between 26th June 2009 and 31st January 2009. (“Future Proofed” Campaign). Customers can get a free upgrade from Vista Home Premium, Business and Ultimate. More info at: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/upgrade-option.aspx

"Note there is no upgrade path for Vista Home Basic – a move to W7 requires a full install"

I have also included some information on downgrade rights FYI. Downgrade rights are for those who don’t want to upgrade to the new OS immediately. These rights allow them to run an older version until such time as they want to upgrade - this saves them buying 2 licenses.

Retail W7 Home Premium looks the go then. tks..s

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Home Premium is the one you want. Pro or higher really isn't needed for a home computer.

Unless you want Remote Desktop Login to it.

I upgraded my laptop from Vista Home Basic to Windows 7 Premium when they had the $49.99 upgrades available in July. It worked just fine. You can go from any version of Vista to any version of Windows 7 with the upgrade. I don't think there are any restrictions.

Honestly I've used both a ton.. I'd probably just keep vista, with SP2 is now very good. Unless you have a SSD drive or something that w7 manages better.. probably a waste to get W7 at this time.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
No legal upgrade from Vista Home Basic

Where are you reading that Microsoft doesn't allow you to use a Windows 7 Upgrade Version to legally upgrade from Vista Home Basic?

Win 7 Home Premium is the upgrade from Vista Home Basic or Vista Home Premium. You can't upgrade Vista Business to Win 7 Home Premium, THAT isn't allowed by MS licensing. "Like" licensing is the key here. I asked our licensing rep about all this, uggh, I don't envy them. LOL

However, there's a rub to all this...OEM "full" version of Win 7 Home Premium is at the same price point as Win 7 Home Premium upgrade. So the upgrade part of all this is a moot point, especially when you consider that just buying a fresh hard disk qualifies you for an OEM version and installing Win 7 fresh is the best way to go anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back