Tap and Die sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always bought taps and dies individually on an as needed basis. Now I am thinking about buying a set. The three metals I see most often are heat-treated alloy steel, tungsten and HSS (High Speed). I have used taps and dies for years and now am looking for a big set. This would not be used for chasing threads but rather cutting new threads. I guess my question is; What metal would you buy for a tap and die set? I have tapped threads for over 20 years so I am not prone to breaking them regardless of metal.

I really don't know if I would throw money at HF for a tap/die set, especially if I was going to do more than use them as a thread chaser.

No idea who makes a quality set nowadays. I have 2 Snap-On sets close to 15 years old that have been used quite a bit, and only a couple of broken taps.

Yes, if I planned to use something very much, I think I would go Ace over Harbor Freight. HF is fine for occasional use stuff.

Last edited:
I have an old Greenfield tap and die set thats probably 30+ years old,as far as i can tell they are HSS.The Original Greenfield company got sold out in the early 90's but you can still find them in good shape on ebay.

According to machinist in the area I've talked to they were supposedly one of the best.

I have an SAE and a metric tap and die set I bought many years ago at Sears (Craftsman). Both have held up very well under use. I don't know what metal they are made from but I've no complaint about thier usefulness.

Originally Posted By: chad8
buy the sets from harbor freight . lifetime warranty.wait till the sales and get another 20% off with coupon in bassmaster or online.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=164

I hope you're not being serious???

HF is 90% junk quality that's usually not fit for the intended purpose. The rule of thumb is if it turns, cuts, measures, or requires precision don't buy it. This certainly applies to tap and die sets.

This miserable chain uses names like Chicago Electric, Central Pneumatic, and Pittsburg Forge to decieve the consumer into thinking this stuff is from the US. In reality they grub the planet for the lowest quality Chinese [censored] they can find.

The warranty is for marketing only. It's in no way an indicator of quality.

The smart consumer will buy quality because it's cheaper in the long run. Look for Greenfield or Irwin Hanson from MSCdirect.com.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: davefr
Originally Posted By: chad8
buy the sets from harbor freight . lifetime warranty.wait till the sales and get another 20% off with coupon in bassmaster or online.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=164

I hope you're not being serious???

HF is 90% junk quality that's usually not fit for the intended purpose. The rule of thumb is if it turns, cuts, measures, or requires precision don't buy it. This certainly applies to tap and die sets.

This miserable chain uses names like Chicago Electric, Central Pneumatic, and Pittsburg Forge to decieve the consumer into thinking this stuff is from the US. In reality they grub the planet for the lowest quality Chinese [censored] they can find.

The warranty is for marketing only. It's in no way an indicator of quality.

The smart consumer will buy quality because it's cheaper in the long run. Look for Greenfield or Irwin Hanson from MSCdirect.com.

Even tho I recommended the ACE Hanson set the above is ridiculous. A company that started out as a importer selling mail order into having stores all over the nation selling tools to the avg. folks that aren't using them for a living didn't get that way by selling trash. With that logic the YUGO would have been an instance sucess and taken over the car world's business. For sure they are not in the same class as Snap-on, Craftsman, Mac, S/K Wayne ect., ect. but they don't pretend to be and for sure they do not cost anywhere as much.

Do they work- -everything I've ever purchased has.
Do they stand behind their warrenty- -The one time I needed it they did, no questions asked.
Do I buy their tools- -YUP

Bought a Snappy set of thread chasers, both SAE and Metric, set was somewhat used, 60 bucks shipped.I have 2 cheapo sets (china) and they both do what is essential. Biggest thing I learned was to get a ratcheting adapter to fit the taps, hooks right up to your 3/8 ratchet, saves a ton of time. HF is ok for occasional use, have a bunch of their stuff, some good, some [censored]-like a power steering pulley remover that stripped out on first hit of impact. buyer beware.

Originally Posted By: bangtango
like a power steering pulley remover that stripped out on first hit of impact. buyer beware.

Take it back and get your money back. No problem.

Originally Posted By: jcwit

That's not the point. If you are a DIYer you have a pump, with a broken puller on it, and a car that doesn't run, to go to HF to exchange for another puller...........that will break.

Junk tools (not necessarily from HF) are great if they don't leave you in a bind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bangtango
like a power steering pulley remover that stripped out on first hit of impact. buyer beware.

Notice it says "Get your money back". Says nothing about exchanging.

Originally Posted By: punisher

That's not the point. If you are a DIYer you have a pump, with a broken puller on it, and a car that doesn't run, to go to HF to exchange for another puller...........that will break.

Junk tools (not necessarily from HF) are great if they don't leave you in a bind.

That's my point. Buying junk tools is a "fools errand". Sure do dig up your receipt from Harbor [censored] and go plead your case with the store manager.

Meanwhile you waste time, gas and maybe get a replacement tool that will fail the same way just as quickly and your job will remain uncompleted. Sorry but I learned a long time ago that it pays to buy good tools.

What few Harbor [censored] tools I bought have been trashed.

However they do have good deals on work gloves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: davefr
Originally Posted By: punisher

That's my point. Buying junk tools is a "fools errand". Sure do dig up your receipt from Harbor [censored] and go plead your case with the store manager.

There is nothing to plead, their return policy is No Questions Asked. A quick search of their web site would let you know this.

Not all of us need the expensive tools. I bought one of their 1/2" clicker torque wrenches a couple of years ago and use it when rotating my tires. In 2 years I've used it 3 times now, I'm 66 yrs old and have no use for a $100 dollar torque wrench. Plus the fact living on a VA disability doesn't leave lots of money to blow on tools, and I'm not earning my living with them.

It all depends on what you need and budget.

A company that started out as a importer selling mail order into having stores all over the nation selling tools to the avg. folks that aren't using them for a living didn't get that way by selling trash.

You are right. They are booming due to cheap. Quality is irrelevant in this context (read: why their business expanded).

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I tried HF tools, and was disappointed. I'll spend a little more and get Craftsman Tools, for the money I found you can't beat them for a DIY'er. I will on occasion buy HF screw drivers, or hammers for my painting business. Basically all we do is remove switch plates and household things with them, or reset nails in sheetrock with the hammers. If we ruin one of forget it on the job it is less upsetting.

I'm a firm beliver in value for money spent. This comes from being in procurement for a Fortune 500 company negotiating contracts in the millions. Its true you get what you pay for and at times MUCH more than you pay for. For your painting business do you supply your company with LandRovers?

Quote:

(read: why their business expanded).

Where do you find that? What happened to Yugo?

BTW Do you shop at WalMart, AKA China Mart?

To the OP Buy the Ace Hanson or Greenfield. And be sure you buy a set of Numbered & Letter drills for correct size when tapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back