Class change with mobil and shell,TDT and Rotella?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really really tried to search but couldn't quite rule on it.

I've been using M1 TDT 5w40 in my VAG 1.8t's for years now. Just recently heard it's not longer a Group IV. Also just heard that the Shell Rotella T 5w40 is a G-IV now...

enlighten me
12.gif

ultimately i need something that can deal short trips well (4 minute commute). One of my 1.8t's is modded and the other will soon be so I push them quite hard.

Who did you hear that from? TDT & D1 are two oils that I'm pretty sure are PAO/Ester blends. Rotella is a great oil. Probably doesn't matter much as far as Grp III vs IV goes.

The key word here is rumors. I believe the Mobil products mentioned are still and have always been Group IV products and I have seen no real proof (other than internet rumors) that the Shell T6 is anything other than the XHVI Group 3 it has always been.

OK, you ask to be enlightened. What you heard is wrong. All M1 oils are considered Grp1. A blend of many base stocks.

Go here: http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/psims/psims.aspx
Select Japan. Put Mobil 5W-40 in "Product/Trade Name". Open the English document for Mobil 1 5W-40. The MSDS is dated Nov. 6, 2007, so I don't know if it is the CJ-4 or the CI-4+ version. It says 30-40% mineral oil, which includes what's used as the additive carrier oil but their is mineral oil (Group III) in addition to that because their are Mobil 1 oils that only use 5-10% mineral oil.

The Korean MSDS for Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT says 20-30% PAO and several other trade secret fluids. It's dated Feb. 8, 2009 so it is most likely the CJ-4 version.
But these things don't matter to me. What matters to me is how good the oil is and I can't conclude that from the presence (or lack of) Group III. I don't use CJ-4 Mobil 1 5W-40 anymore because I found it couldn't last long (5K mi.) in my 1.8T before varnish formed.

In the 1.8T, I'm now using Valvoline Synpower 5W-40, but I haven't used it long enough to say whether I like it. I just wanted to try something different that was fairly inexpensive and at least decent. I do NOT expect it to be an awesome oil. Since you are doing a lot of short trips, I do not recommend this oil to you because of its low starting TBN.

I've never used Rotella T6 5W-40 but it is a worthy candidate for you in my opinion.

I was sort of thinking Rotella T6 as well especially since it's so readily available. But I'm going to do a UOA on my newest 1.8t to help make the decision... may just keep on rocking the TDT

TDT is a great oil,use it with confidence, your protected well.we've used it in some of our fleet PUs for a wile now and i change the oil we dont have any varnish,just the oposit in the 6.0 vortecs...CLEAN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back