Bamboo bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carbon would be a bazillion times better of a material; no way would I ride a bamboo bike, it's not bike frame material. Maybe it's suitable as material for a third axle trailer where road feel isn't a factor.

I have thought about bamboo for the purpose of a ultralight air craft and wing construction. It might work there.

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
Carbon would be a bazillion times better of a material; no way would I ride a bamboo bike, it's not bike frame material.

Why not ? a bike frame is a triangulated truss, which Bamboo does pretty well at.

The only brake being on the front wheel would make for some interesting stops from high speed!

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Why not ? a bike frame is a triangulated truss, which Bamboo does pretty well at.

I would expect the road feel to be very mushy. Frame material can really be felt very much on a road bike, even in materials that are slightly different (eg. steel, Ti, Al). The best ride quality IMO is steel, then titanium, then carbon, then aluminum. Aluminum definitely feels too stiff (with thin tires at least you feel every vibration on the road). Bamboo I would expect to have the opposite problem; it would feel bendy and mushy. Imagine quickly braking and turning, and the force that would put on the triangles and joints, and the deformation; imagine getting out of the seat and stepping hard into the crank, and the forces that would result on the frame, from the crank, chain, and handlebars. See frame materials

Bamboo has a good good strenght to weight ratio but it flexes a great amount. Its use would be okay in a wing for example, where you don't care too much at all about slight deformations (bending of the wing), you just care that the it will bear the force without snapping. In a bike frame that's not true. You'll be able to feel this as a sloppy mushyness.

You can fill the bamboo frame with expanding foam frame stiffener, and that should take care of the sloppy mushiness. And, since no one will see the 'expanding foam', you can still wear your eco-weenie badge and score all the enviro-chicks.

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
The best ride quality IMO is steel, then titanium, then carbon, then aluminum.

Ah, but which company's steel?? (True Temper, Reynolds, Columbus, etc.)
56.gif

This idea makes the bike only a bit renewable. They still use a lot of epoxy to join the bamboo.
Using just a bit more epoxy one can make a superior and reliable carbon fiber frame. Isn't carbon a renewable material?
On the plus side, wood as an engineering material is good for shock absorbtion.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Using just a bit more epoxy one can make a superior and reliable carbon fiber frame. Isn't carbon a renewable material?

Takes a few years for the pitch to mature, but I guess so.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Isn't carbon a renewable material?

I think the carbon fiber comes from pyrolizing polymers derived from petro chemicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back