2009 Passat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new, 2009 Passat with the 2.0L Turbo. My son has a 2008 Rabbit with the 2.5L (naturally asperated).

My son's maintenance scheduled called for an oil change at 5,000 miles. My Passat's first service (read right out of the manual) is 10,000 miles.

Gotta admit, I am a little freaked about the first oil fill staying in there for 10K miles.

To complicate the issue, I have Free Service through the 30k interval.

What would you do?

I am tempted to dump the factory fill at 500 miles (I have always done this with every new vehicle I have purchased) and then change again at 5,000 miles. Then then dealer can do the 10k oil change.

At that point....I suppose I am comfortable with the VW Synthetic staying in there for 10k OCI's.

But honestly....what would you do? We plan to keep this car for a long time, so we want to baby it in regard to service.

Thanks,

I would just keep an eye on the oil for the first 30kmiles while having the stealerships servicing them (hopefully they are filling with syn-blend or full syn for that matter), or (b) forego the sweet deal and just start doing oil changes yourself every 5~7,000miles with manufacturer approved oil.

Q.

Well, I am not going to forego the 'sweet service deal'. I will simply let the Stealer do the 10k, 20k and 30k oil changes.

I just need to decide if I want to do more then they will do.

Here is what I am thinking, but want your opinions....

500 miles....first change (I do it)
5,000 miles....second change (I do it)
10,000 miles.....Stealer does it.
15,000 miles.....I do it
20,000 miles......Stealer does it
25,000 miles......I do it
30,000 miles......Stealer does it

After that.....I will do UOA's to determine my OCI's.

Anyway, this thing is a little turbo and I guarantee that I will drive it aggressively....just my nature. That is why I am thinking I ought to stick to 5k OCI's.

But....I am eager to hear everyone's opinion.

I'd want to know exactly what oil VW poured into this new engine before summarily dumping it.

Also, if VW's OCI is 10,000 miles, why not do a UOA at between 3,000 and 5,000 miles and see how things are going? Then you will know for sure what is happening, and have documentation if a problem is revealed.

Go with your schedule. Change the filter the first time. Don't change the filter after that. Make sure the stealer changes the filter. Your good to go.

Last edited:
You sure it doesnt ask somewhere in there that a first change should be done at 5k? Our rabbit in the manual said 5k, 10k then every 10k. The computer says to us every 5k though...

I would definitely do 5k at minimum. Not sure of the need to do 500, but that is your call.

VW/Audi use to have break in oil and suggested running the oil for a full 5,000 if I remember correctly. That as 9 or 10 years ago and maybe things are different now.

If u dump it at 500 miles your engine wont properly seat in and u'll have oil consumption problems for first 50K miles! 10K isnt new for vw in 1991 they had 7500 mile change intervals!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You sure it doesnt ask somewhere in there that a first change should be done at 5k? Our rabbit in the manual said 5k, 10k then every 10k. The computer says to us every 5k though...

I would definitely do 5k at minimum. Not sure of the need to do 500, but that is your call.

Absolutely certain. Matter of fact, my son and I pulled both our service books last night and compared side by side. His first change is 5k and mine is 10k.

For the Passat I am looking at the booklet: "1.1 USA Warranty and Maintenance, Tourareg, Eos, Rabbit, GTI, Passat, Passat Wagon, Tiguan, Passat CC, Model Year 2009". On page #37 are the details of the first service at 10k miles.

For the Rabbit I am looking at the booklet: "1.1 Maintenance, Touareg, Eos, Rabbit, GTI Passat, Passat Wagon, Model Year 2008." On page #6 are the details of the first service at 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: Dieseldoctor
If u dump it at 500 miles your engine wont properly seat in and u'll have oil consumption problems for first 50K miles! 10K isnt new for vw in 1991 they had 7500 mile change intervals!

This makes sense to me and maybe I should consider the first change at 5k miles, rather than 500 miles. On the other hand, getting the initial wear metals out of the oil at 500 miles makes sense to me as well.

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: ideliver
1999nick said:
BMW had previous to "Free Scheduled Maintenance" always recommended an oil change at 1500 miles...and then at 7500 mile intervals. I continue to follow BMW's recommendations previous to their "Free Scheduled Maintenance."

Not a Passat...but sort of backs up my desire to do an oil change at 500 miles. If BMW wanted the oil changed at 1,500 miles....what's the problem with dumping it early?

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Absolutely certain. Matter of fact, my son and I pulled both our service books last night and compared side by side. His first change is 5k and mine is 10k.

For the Passat I am looking at the booklet: "1.1 USA Warranty and Maintenance, Tourareg, Eos, Rabbit, GTI, Passat, Passat Wagon, Tiguan, Passat CC, Model Year 2009". On page #37 are the details of the first service at 10k miles.

For the Rabbit I am looking at the booklet: "1.1 Maintenance, Touareg, Eos, Rabbit, GTI Passat, Passat Wagon, Model Year 2008." On page #6 are the details of the first service at 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: Dieseldoctor

This makes sense to me and maybe I should consider the first change at 5k miles, rather than 500 miles. On the other hand, getting the initial wear metals out of the oil at 500 miles makes sense to me as well.

Thanks,

I just want to post my opinion. My '06 VW GTI also has the 2.0 FSI engine. I did the first OC myself at 2,500 miles. Did the next at 2,500 miles also. Then have done OC's at 5K intervals. Car now has 52,000 miles and uses no oil between 5K OC's. By the way I use Valvoline Syn Power 5W-40 Euro oil.

David

some people on the VW-Vortex believe that since the CCTA engine is a new engine, it does not suffer from the wear issues of the BPY engine, therefore 10,000 miles is fine.

However, much of the BITOG people that have VW/Audi FSI engines see a historical trend of VAG not really addressing the oil issues properly.

over on the 'tex, there isn't really too many CCTA/CBFA UOA yet.

At least the cam follower for the fuel pump has finally been improved.

In short heed the past experiences of BITOG member with VAG FSI engines.

Here's another note, food for thought.

the CCTA engine found in the Passat was introduced mid-2008. The maintenance shedule for the mid 2008 CCTA engine is exactly the same as the BPY engine (early 2.0T):
5,000 miles
10,000 miles
20,000 miles & every 10,000 miles there after.

Notice for 2009, the first oil change is 10,000 miles and every 10,000 thereafter. Why? Nothing has changed in the engine. The only change is VWoA is footing the bill for the first couple of oil changes, as part of the CareFREE maintenance plan.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Here's another note, food for thought.

the CCTA engine found in the Passat was introduced mid-2008. The maintenance shedule for the mid 2008 CCTA engine is exactly the same as the BPY engine (early 2.0T):
5,000 miles
10,000 miles
20,000 miles & every 10,000 miles there after.

Notice for 2009, the first oil change is 10,000 miles and every 10,000 thereafter. Why? Nothing has changed in the engine. The only change is VWoA is footing the bill for the first couple of oil changes, as part of the CareFREE maintenance plan.

I totally agree with you here. I am not waiting until the first 10k to do the first oil change. For me it will be 5k OCI's.

Quote:
The only change is VWoA is footing the bill for the first couple of oil changes, as part of the CareFREE maintenance plan.

Exactly. When I had my 02 Passat with the 1.8T engine, a friend of mine had an 02 A4 with the same exact engine. Her manual recomnmended 10K and mine 5K. Why? Audi had free maintenance, VW did not. My friend's Audi has sludged and had to have a rebuild and she maintained it by the book.

As for my 07 Passat (2.0T FSI), I changed it at 800 miles, 3000 miles and have been doing 3K drains since using Valvoline Synpower 5w-40. I probably change too much, but for $70 every four or five months, I have a piece of mind and don't have to worry about whether I'm pushing it.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Quote:
The only change is VWoA is footing the bill for the first couple of oil changes, as part of the CareFREE maintenance plan.

Exactly. When I had my 02 Passat with the 1.8T engine, a friend of mine had an 02 A4 with the same exact engine. Her manual recomnmended 10K and mine 5K. Why? Audi had free maintenance, VW did not. My friend's Audi has sludged and had to have a rebuild and she maintained it by the book.

As for my 07 Passat (2.0T FSI), I changed it at 800 miles, 3000 miles and have been doing 3K drains since using Valvoline Synpower 5w-40. I probably change too much, but for $70 every four or five months, I have a piece of mind and don't have to worry about whether I'm pushing it.

Good feedback. On Sunday, I took advantage of the Pep Boys sale and picked up 5 quarts of GC 0w30 for a change at 500 miles. I am currently at 380 miles....so will probably change on Saturday.

I am really curious how the car will react to GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back