Motomaster Filter Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the newer Motomaster oil filter 4967 cut open. It was on a corolla for ~4 months / barely 5k on Valvoline Conventional. Was harder to cut compared to a Purolator. Not bad but still expensive since a Purolator built Quaker state is only 1 dollar more and made in the us of a.

Threads not the best, had some trouble screwing on filter in beginning.
Mmfilter7.jpg

Mmfilter6.jpg

Mmfilter5.jpg

Mmfilter4.jpg

Mmfilter2.jpg

Mmfilter3.jpg

Mmfilter.jpg

Cool. I got some questions

How do oil filters work? Is the outer part the dirty side (pre filtered) and the inner part (center) the filtered part?

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
Cool. I got some questions

How do oil filters work? Is the outer part the dirty side (pre filtered) and the inner part (center) the filtered part?

yep. u got it. in these pics I believe that we are seeing alot of metal particles from cutting the filter open. I have a couple of these filters with "federated" on them but I am hesitant to use them because IMHO, the slits on the inside are too small. obviously I am not an oil filter engineer... but I dont like the chance that they could restrict oil flow when the oil is cold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
... I am hesitant to use them because IMHO, the slits on the inside are too small. obviously I am not an oil filter engineer... but I dont like the chance that they could restrict oil flow when the oil is cold.

The total area of all those slits is probably more than it looks like. Most center cores in oil filters have many holes or slits or whatever to flow the oil. I highly doubt the slits are very restrictive ... the media is probably the biggest restriction in an oil filter.

These are the least expensive filters I've been able to find up here as well, so it's nice to know they are fairly well built too.

Thanks for doing that. Looks like a good filter, but I still don't think Frams are evil incarnate...as many here do!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Thanks for doing that. Looks like a good filter, but I still don't think Frams are evil incarnate...as many here do!

Wow, someone on this site who can think for themselves.

10 years ago, the PH3950 had about half as much media as other lower priced filters. Haven't used one since. Champ and Purolator are closer to the old Fram now than their old products. Some of the more recent Frams here haven't looked that bad.

Who all makes filters, Fram, Bosch, Champ, Clarcor, the Europeans?

Originally Posted By: addyguy

I was in my local Real Canadian Superstore today and they had a whole bunch of the orange can Frams there for only $1 each! If they had the part number that fit my wife's Honda I was going to buy a few but they didn't. I know they aren't the best made filters out there, but for $1 each that's honestly pretty hard to resist.

I just pulled off a Parts Plus from my mom's Malibu that is also made in China and looks just like the base plate of the Motomaster. I'll cut it open and see if it's the same filter. It worked just fine for the 3,500 miles or so I had it in service, even in below freezing temps. No issues with the ADBV or any start-up noise at all. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one Made in China though, I'd rather get one that's made here. I was given it to me for free though, so I couldn't really complain too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back