'89 F150 Manual Transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is probably a Mazda M5OD. If it has a granny gear it is a ZF transmission. The Mazda unit uses Dexron III ATF, they were prone to leaking when being driven, there is info on the WWW about the repair. I don't know too much about the ZF transmissions.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Which engine? 4 or 5 speed?

The Mazda M5OD which is probably what the truck has, most of the F-150's used this since it is not a HD application. It is a 5 speed OD. The ZF IIRC is also a 5 speed with a granny gear, which was in the bigger HD applications. If it is the Mazda tranny it calls for Mercon V since the fluid it originally came with is no longer being used.

Here is where it can get confusing, 1987 had 4 speed, 4th was OD. 88 and up had a 5 speed 5th was OD, it was the first year for the M5OD. The 87 used gear oil the 88 and up used ATF. If first gear is a very low gear it is a ZF gear box, and I'm not sure on the tranny fluid. I'm very familiar with the M5OD however, that takes Mercon V.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant it had 1-4 and then OD (5), so it must be a M5OD. Thanks! My Dad bought a couple quarts 80W90 so I suppose I can put that in the diffies instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
the zf 5-speed used in the hd app calls for mercon also, i have a '89 superduty and thats what the manual states, so you should be covered either way

Quote:
Manual Transmission,4-SPD......SLF [1]
SAE 10W-40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil (AMOQT)
SAE 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil (AMEQT)
Manual Transmission,5-SPD......MA [2]
Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT)
Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (ATD1G)

Quote:
[1] Manual transmission fluid formulated to meet
spec. WSD-M2C200-C.
[2] Beginning immediately all manual transmission applications
requiring MERCON can now be serviced using MERCON-V
or MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid or dual usage fluids
labeled MERCON/MERCON-V. After July 1, 2007,
MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid will no longer be
manufactured, therefore, availability of this fluid will
only continue for however long it takes to deplete what
remains in inventory.

The factory calls for ATF.
Use Redline MTL or Amsoil MTF.
Your goals are not cost saving every nickel, and you want better life out of the trans. Shifting should be improved, as well.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
The factory calls for ATF.
Use Redline MTL or Amsoil MTF.
Your goals are not cost saving every nickel, and you want better life out of the trans. Shifting should be improved, as well.

I told my Dad about the Amsoil MTF. We'll see. The engine has a dead cylinder, which appears to be rings. It runs alright, not great, but alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back