MMO as bike chain lube???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an idea, what do you folks think?? It's slick, it's got some EP value. Plus the bike drivetrain is heat free, and heat does seem to be the biggest enemy of MMO/chlorinated aromatic hydrocarbons. Plus, you'd think it wouldn't soil as terribly dark as the stuff I'm using now (a mix of lubromoly and teflon bike lube).

Motor cycle or bicycle? If the latter, use a wax lube. Oils attract dirt and eventually ruin the chain. Oil should only be used if you are riding in water or on a rainy day. Any bike shop will have the wax lubes.

I have heard a recipe for home made Progold (a popular bike chain oil). The claim is that you can use 1 part M1 10w30 and 2 parts minimal spirits. The minimal spirits apparently thin the oil to a consistency thats good for bike chains. I really like Progold but I've never tried the home brew. At $7 for a 4oz bottle for Progold, it might be worth trying the home brew. I've always wondered, "Whats the worst that can happen?"

Originally Posted By: MtnMike
I have heard a recipe for home made Progold (a popular bike chain oil). The claim is that you can use 1 part M1 10w30 and 2 parts minimal spirits. The minimal spirits apparently thin the oil to a consistency thats good for bike chains. I really like Progold but I've never tried the home brew. At $7 for a 4oz bottle for Progold, it might be worth trying the home brew. I've always wondered, "Whats the worst that can happen?"

Ahh..spell check, you failed me again! That would be “mineral spirits”, not “minimal spirits”
21.gif

i home brew and i do not like wax and i thin out MMO and use very very little. The key is getting the lube to the pins. If gets to the pins it will be between the plates as well.

Ive tried the 2:1 mineral spirits to M1 0w-20

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
If there is any way to make your own it will save big bucks. The bike shop stuff like Pro Gold is probably $80 a quart.

If anybody has a decent recipe I might try it. How does mineral spirits affect rubber in the chain? Don't bike chains have rubber o-rings like Motorcycle chains?

I think this is OK to post:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397

There's no rubber in bicycle chains. You can search the net for "home brew Pro Gold" to get some forumlations. Let us know how it goes.

A bit off topic but in the winter the only lube I can use that will not lock the chain up at temps below 0F is WD40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back