Fumoto oil drain gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used the Fumoto oil drain valve and there gasket has leaked?Mine leaks very slightly from the gasket.I have the 14MM x 1.5(F-106N)model.I was thinking of using a copper crush washer.Thanks Joe

I never had mine leak. You could change the gasket or try tightening your valve a little more. A mechanic once told me when they change fuel filters on a VW I owned at the time if it leaked they just kept tightening until it stopped leaking.

I have them on 3 trucks and install them weekly on customer trucks. no leaks!!

Great Product

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
A mechanic once told me when they change fuel filters on a VW I owned at the time if it leaked they just kept tightening until it stopped leaking.

That's some good mechanic-ing right there.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
A mechanic once told me when they change fuel filters on a VW I owned at the time if it leaked they just kept tightening until it stopped leaking.

That's some good mechanic-ing right there.

True.
06.gif

Esp when Fumoto tells you NOT to over tighten as you will break it.
smirk2.gif

Just contact Fumoto and ask for another gasket. If they have ANY customer service they will send it to you no charge.

I would not use a copper gasket and it may stress the fitting. If you look at the construction I can see how easy it could be to snap it off.

Brass is a soft metal.

Take care, Bill

I love my Fumoto valve. My Volvo XC70's drain plug had some metal material in the threads the last time I removed it. That worried me very much. I was afraid I would need to replace the oil pan or repair the drain hole. I installed the Fumoto and it was a perfect fit, no leaks, tight as a drum. I wonder if that material was from the plug instead of the pan? I don't know.

Or maybe it was some sort of anti-seize that had hardened? I've seen something similar on a friend's Civic's spark plugs.

Last edited:
Did you 'wet' the blue Fumoto gasket for a few minutes before you installed it ?

If they won't snend you a free gasket, I might still have a spare gasket in my tool box.

I think the directions are to hand tighten and then go 1/4 or 1/2 turn more with a wrench. That's what I did on my two vehicles and haven't had a problem.

Clark

On my 2004 350Z, the Fumoto valve installed easily and didn't need much tightening to be leak-free.

However, on my 1988 Supra, it wouldn't stop weeping even after tightening it as much as I dared. So, I bought a new drain pan, drained out the $50 worth of Redline oil, and removed the valve. Then, I cut a second gasket out of some material I have lying around. After reinstalling the valve and oil, it doesn't leak, though it still took a fair amount of torque to make it that way. The plug is 18mm, which is pretty large, so can take a fair amount of torque.

Basically, if your car's oil pan is smooth and flat around the drain hole, the gasket will seal well. If it's not so flat and smooth, you may get to add another thicker gasket in. The gasket the valve comes with isn't very thick.

Asterix

Originally Posted By: ClarkB
I think the directions are to hand tighten and then go 1/4 or 1/2 turn more with a wrench. That's what I did on my two vehicles and haven't had a problem.

Clark

is how i did it, no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back