Rotella or Coastal or Supertech Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing my dino gear oil change for the year and I don't have a lot of money to drop on 7 quarts of a quality synthetic. I had a differential leak so was using thick Lucas oil (yes I know). I have that fixed up so now I want to put a thinner gear oil back in. I know that Rotella is good and cheap at Walmart and figure that is a best buy for a budget gear oil. Any opinions on coastal or supertech?

I would stay clear of st gear oil.

Rotella is a good choice, even valvoline covnentional gear oil at kragens or auto zone is about the same price and a good choice too.

ST gear oil is not "bad", they did have batches that did not pass viscosity tests and were subsequently removed from shelves in certain states/counties. Other than that, their stuff is okay.

Can't go wrong with any of them if on a budget, I would lean towards Shell Rotella just for the heavy duty nature of their full line of products.

Originally Posted By: defektes
I would stay clear of st gear oil.

Rotella is a good choice, even valvoline covnentional gear oil at kragens or auto zone is about the same price and a good choice too.

I forgot about valvoline, I like their syn gear oil.

Out of those 3 The Rotella is the clear winner. They should all be ok and the ST and Coastal should be the same product if WM didn't beat them down on the price too much.

There is nothing wrong with ST gear oil. Warren Performance Products (makers of ST) uses severely hydrotreated base stocks according to their literature.

Go to AAP with the $10 coupon and get 4 qts of valvoline dino for $16 after the coupon. It is good until 12/31 and you should be able to find a copy in the rebate threads. Durablend will cost you $18.

Last edited:
Instead of changing yearly, do the expensive thing with Amsoil Severe gear and leave it in.

I do not usually change gear oil annually but I have the Lucas in their and I want it out. I actually went and bought Rotella from Walmart and I would think it would last at least 20,000 miles. When I start working again I will put in some Redline or Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
There is nothing wrong with ST gear oil. Warren Performance Products (makers of ST) uses severely hydrotreated base stocks according to their literature.

I am obligated to correct my previous reply, quoted above. I re-read their literature and it does not say 'severe hydotreated base stocks' it just says 'hydrotreated base stocks.'

My apologies.

I drained my FF transaxle gear lube at 2200 miles, replaced with Coastal 75W90 and ran that to 10K miles on the car then drained that and put in Amsoil MTG 75W90 gear oil.

I probably could have left the Coastal in there for the 50-60K I plan on running it and drain/refill but I decided on the Amsoil. My car did not explode with the Coastal in it. Mine is only 2 quarts so it was cheaper than what it would cost you so..

Rotella all the way. Coastal has hit and miss quality control we have seen the Warren Produced Gear lube which also produces Coastal test insanely low for additives before. A good name beand like Rotella is going to have better quality control less chance of getting a bad batch!

Originally Posted By: jerre310
Instead of changing yearly, do the expensive thing with Amsoil Severe gear and leave it in.

That isn't a good idea if the diff is somewhere where water contamination will be a problem.

This interests me because I don't think I have ever seen Rotella gear oil. A quick google search led me to Shell Spirax gear lubricant. Is that the same stuff? It looks to be more for heavy duty truck applications. Of course that is how their oils are mainly marketed too. Is this the stuff you found at Walmart?

I've only seen Rotella branded gear oil and chassis grease in Wal-Mart, and I've never found any specs for them on any Shell website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back